Indian Ocean is 100 meters lower than surrounding seas

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia

So even "sea level" isn't the same everywhere due to gravity? I knew there were local differences but I didn't think gravity was the cause. 106 meters is a lot of volume.

Maybe that's why Biden chose it for his first trans-oceanic train. ;)

So how much will Kerry & Co. say he needs to combat changing sea level caused by Gravity-Flux?

So even "sea level" isn't the same everywhere due to gravity? I knew there were local differences but I didn't think gravity was the cause. 106 meters is a lot of volume.

So how much will Kerry & Co. say he needs to combat changing sea level caused by Gravity-Flux?
That sounds like bullshit too. So if Micheal Moore goes to India and loses weight it's not because there are no cheese burgers?

Not intuitive.

You'd think that if the gravity were lower there, the water would be higher due to less downward pull.

Let's ask westwall

Not intuitive.

You'd think that if the gravity were lower there, the water would be higher due to less downward pull.

Let's ask westwall

You are correct. Gravity anomalies are all over the Earth. So I find it amusing these people get all hot and bothered over something that is barely measurable.

Not intuitive.

Let's ask westwall
I read this on the subject:

In simplified terms, mass concentration (which increases gravity locally) "pulls in" water from the surrounding sea, raising the water level.

Essentially, a large mass will cause "down" to be bent slightly toward it, and water from the surrounding sea will flow "down" toward the mass concentration. The resulting surface of the water will (ignoring currents, wind, etc) will form a bulge above/around the concentration which at every point is perpendicular to the local "down."

If an area of lower density results in lower gravity, the effect will be the opposite, with down being bent AWAY from the center of the area and water flowing out until the surface is perpendicular to the local direction of gravity. If it helps, consider the lower gravity to simply be surrounded by a ring of higher gravity areas which all tend to pull the water away from the center.

Note that this effect is VERY small and won't be noticeable to an individual - it is only when the effect takes place over hundreds or thousands of miles that the tiny change in gravity results in a detectable change in water levels. It won't make a noticeable change in the horizon, etc., and any differences in actual acceleration due to gravity would need very precise and sensitive instruments to measure and separate from other effects (such as actual distance from the center of the Earth and latitude) which affect the apparent acceleration due to gravity.

I read this on the subject:

In simplified terms, mass concentration (which increases gravity locally) "pulls in" water from the surrounding sea, raising the water level.

Essentially, a large mass will cause "down" to be bent slightly toward it, and water from the surrounding sea will flow "down" toward the mass concentration. The resulting surface of the water will (ignoring currents, wind, etc) will form a bulge above/around the concentration which at every point is perpendicular to the local "down."

If an area of lower density results in lower gravity, the effect will be the opposite, with down being bent AWAY from the center of the area and water flowing out until the surface is perpendicular to the local direction of gravity. If it helps, consider the lower gravity to simply be surrounded by a ring of higher gravity areas which all tend to pull the water away from the center.

Note that this effect is VERY small and won't be noticeable to an individual - it is only when the effect takes place over hundreds or thousands of miles that the tiny change in gravity results in a detectable change in water levels. It won't make a noticeable change in the horizon, etc., and any differences in actual acceleration due to gravity would need very precise and sensitive instruments to measure and separate from other effects (such as actual distance from the center of the Earth and latitude) which affect the apparent acceleration due to gravity.
Extremely interesting....thx...:up:

Not intuitive.

Let's ask westwall
Maybe after the bed wetters decided to lower the bar for stupidity, and sent it crashing straight down through the core of the earth, blasting out from under the Indian ocean and out into space, the water filled the exit wound?

It's more plausible than global warming due to America's
SUVs anyway.

Wouldn't common sense tell you that the water level is pushed down because of an increase in gravity (if that's possible) rather than less gravity?

Wouldn't common sense tell you that the water level is pushed down because of an increase in gravity (if that's possible) rather than less gravity?
Bed wetter's have no sense, common or otherwise. "Journalists" will print any lie, no matter how ridiculous knowing someone will buy it.

Extremely interesting....thx...:up:

What they are claiming is because of the density increase water piles on on top of itself. Whiiiiich is not measurable. The problem they have is the oceans aren't closed systems, so water comes in...........and immediately goes away.

Now, if you had a body of water that was fed by rivers, but had no outflow, like the Great Basin in Nevada, or the Great Salt Lake, then they might have something.

That's the problem you have when you are trying to measure something so vanishingly small.

What they are claiming is because of the density increase water piles on on top of itself. Whiiiiich is not measurable. The problem they have is the oceans aren't closed systems, so water comes in...........and immediately goes away.

Now, if you had a body of water that was fed by rivers, but had no outflow, like the Great Basin in Nevada, or the Great Salt Lake, then they might have something.

That's the problem you have when you are trying to measure something so vanishingly small.
If you take it at face value, though, then you'd think that there'd be some sort of outflow current somewhere, wouldn't you?

If you take it at face value, though, then you'd think that there'd be some sort of outflow current somewhere, wouldn't

If you take it at face value, though, then you'd think that there'd be some sort of outflow current somewhere, wouldn't you?

Yes, according to their theory the only place the water can go is down, so I would expect to see some extensive scouring on the sea floor.

I don't see evidence for that anywhere.

Forum List

Back