incoming ian

We are going to get a hellva lot of rain. This first band this evening was 2.6 inches at my house. I bet by Friday the accumulation will be in the teens.
Does look like some FL rainfall will be 10”+

I have sent most of my life in Florida since I was born in 1947. I have been through a dozen hurricanes. I have learned the hard way to be prepared.

The worst hurricane I went through was Hurricane Donna in 1960. I lived in a rural area then. We were without electricity for over six weeks. Gas for the car was almost impossible to find. The little city about ten miles away with only one grocery store didn't get restocked for groceries for a month. We had to fish and hunt game for food. Our supper for several nights was gator tail and Heart of Palm.
I remember Hurricane Donna in 1960. It knocked down the swimming dock in Lake Carmel, NY, and completely destroyed the diving board. It hit our house, and removed our hammock, which we saw go flying through the air. We never saw that nice, canvas hammock again. It must have landed in somebody else's yard, and I guess they wound up with a free hammock.

We got a lot of rain this month of September here in Tampa, and we got a lot of rain again today. Supposed to be more here tomorrow, before Ian gets here, ground will already be saturated. Not good. Glad I live on the 3rd floor, in a strong, brand new, building, with thick windows.

I remember Hurricane Donna in 1960. It knocked down the swimming dock in Lake Carmel, NY, and completely destroyed the diving board. It hit our house, and removed our hammock, which we saw go flying through the air. We never saw that nice, canvas hammock again. It must have landed in somebody else's yard, and I guess they wound up with a free hammock.
Donna snapped off some pines in Salisbury Md

We got a lot of rain this month of September here in Tampa, and we got a lot of rain again today. Supposed to be more here tomorrow, before Ian gets here, ground will already be saturated. Not good. Glad I live on the 3rd floor, in a strong, brand new, building, with thick windows.
I live on high ground east of Tampa so I am not worried about flooding.

My son, who lives in a flood zone in Tampa, is evacuating.

The big question is where is it going to landfall. The farther north the more wind shear that will diminish the wind. The farther south the less impact to the Tampa/St Pete metroplex.

Right over Tampa will be a nightmare.

1664278764131.png

Okay, they got this thing @ 185 Km/h
Converter says 114 MPH. Cat 2, maybe?
Definitely not as bad as 225 MPH Andrew.

Ian crossed Cuba like Cuba wasn’t even there and the eye is now back over water completely. A significant feeder band is approaching extreme southwest Florida
Max winds about 115mph currently at the center.
Ft Myers to Tampa now the landfall target. 100-110 max windfall anticipated. The dry air entrainment and shear was overstated yesterday as I so said. Landfall will decrease speed but Florida offers very little to dramatically decrease wind speed once ashore,
What it does once inland is still no solidified. It could move to FL/GA coastline or up though central-east central Georgia
It’s going to be a top 3 rainfall event for Tampa Area with 5-8’ surge into the Bay. Evacuation orders are overstated at times But Not This Time.
Will update late tonight or tomorrow

Ian crossed Cuba line Cuba wasn’t even there and the eye is now back over water completely. A significant feeder band is approaching extreme southwest Florida
Max winds about 115mph currently at the center.
Ft Myers to Tampa now the landfall target. 100-110 max windfall anticipated. The dry air entrainment and shear was overstated yesterday as I so said. Landfall will decrease speed but Florida offers very little to dramatically decrease wind speed once ashore,
What it does once inland is still no solidified. It could move to FL/GA coastline or up though central-east central Georgia
It’s going to be a top 3 rainfall event for Tampa Area with 5-8’ surge into the Bay. Evacuation orders are overstated at times But Not This Time.
Will update late tonight or tomorrow
it looks like a steady wobble east

161142_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

I live on high ground east of Tampa so I am not worried about flooding.

My son, who lives in a flood zone in Tampa, is evacuating.

The big question is where is it going to landfall. The farther north the more wind shear that will diminish the wind. The farther south the less impact to the Tampa/St Pete metroplex.

Right over Tampa will be a nightmare.
good luck y'all.

Forum List

Back