Income inequality you say? Let's start with pro sports

If not the athletes, then who should get those millions? People like us who attend the games and watch on TV are getting these people paid. So if we're going to complain about athletes getting the money, my next question who should the money go to?

You've got it all wrong. Under capitalism you don't direct where the money goes ( except for welfare). The answer is for the stupid americans to stop following sports so much. I haven't seen a football game in 20 years.

So why the stupid OP?

Pro Sports IS business, dumbass.

Now where did anyone say "it's ok for useless non-productive jocks to make $50 mill"?

That's because they are neither "useless" nor "non-productive," unlike YOU.

Actually, they are both.

Professional sports is a scam that only lines the pockets of a very few at the cost of many.

Infographic: Is Your State's Highest-Paid Employee A Coach? (Probably)

198ioih2yz6wujpg.jpg

Coaches Top State-Pay Standings [infographic]

It’s all about priorities, right? Our state schools continually face budget-crunching dilemmas and unpopular decisions – Which program do we pump money into? Which do we cut? Which do we string along and hope for future fortune to save the day? Well, stepping back for a wider view of it all makes it pretty easy to see. Yes, it’s about priorities and big-money college sports top the list.

Big-time athletics do bring in big-time money, albeit money that is rarely handed out beyond the walls of the athletic department. As Deadspin’s Reuben Fisher-Baum says, “it’s not like it’s going to microscopes and Bunsen Burners.”

Why?

Because we don't value education as much as we value football.

Now where did anyone say "it's ok for useless non-productive jocks to make $50 mill"?

Actually, they are both.

Not at all. If you had skills that tens of thousands were willing to pay to see, you'd be paid highly as well. As it is, you're a loser that almost no one gives a shit about and you're compensated accordingly. Bitterness and envy change that FACT not one bit.

That makes no sense at all. I asked the OP to justify his wording and you jump in with irrelevant shit.
Maybe you should just shut the fuck up until you're spoken to. If ever.

Obozo screams about businessmen that get $10 million a year for running a company that makes useful products like cars or computers but says it's ok for useless non-productive jocks to make $50 mill. It's all about race with obozo, since so many athletes are black.

Top 10 highest-paid athletes in professional sports

10. Zack Greinke, $29,020,000

9. Alex Rodriguez, $29,900,000: A New York Yankees player, Rodriguez is the highest-paid player in baseball. His $257 million deal extends through 2017, so he's pretty much set for life. A-Rod also has almost $1 million in endorsement deals, and will get an additional $6 million if he reaches 660 home runs.

8. Peyton Manning, $31,000,000: With endorsement deals that almost match his salary, it's no wonder Denver Broncos player Peyton Manning is among the best paid. He is football's biggest endorser, earning a whopping $13 million. That, added to his $18 million salary, makes him the number 8 highest paid. Last year, he was named number 7, but somehow I think the $31 million will get him through.

7. Derrick Rose, $33,403,000

6. Phil Mickelson, $39,528,000

5. Tiger Woods, $40,839,027: Although Tiger Woods hit a bit of a rough patch over the last few years, he earned more than anyone on Tour over the last year. His Nike, EA, and Rolex deals are part of what give him an estimated $33 million in endorsements. (The Nike deal is a huge moneymaker.) Although Mickelson earns more in endorsements, Woods makes $7.8 million in winnings.

4. Kobe Bryant, $46,850,000

3. Drew Brees, $47,800,000s.

2. LeBron James, $56,545,000: He's the second highest paid athlete with $39 million in endorsements, $17.5 million in salary. The Miami heat player has a Nike deal to thank (apparently Nike plays extremely well), but, when comparing salaries, James is considered an "underpaid" NBA star.

1. Floyd Mayweather Jr., $90,000,000: As the only boxer on this list, Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s salary nearly doubles that of the second highest-paid athlete. He has $0 in endorsements, but it doesn't matter because his May 4 fight with Robert Guerrero garnered him $32 million, with the pay-per-view giving him another $13 million. He's due for a similar payday in September, which will bump his salary to almost $100 million.

Entertainers salaries are based on what the public is willing to pay. It's about ability, and supply and demand. If fans of these sports figures stopped paying for tickets, the bottom falls out.

SS should be mad at the owners. The money you pay to buy team merchandise and watch the games goes to the owners. The owners then pay the athletes. Economics 101 should be a required course.

Who pays for the stadiums and arenas where these owners make all this money?

Lately the taxpayers do by voting in people that broker these deals with the owners in exchange for minimum wage jobs and revenue for surrounding businesses. Everyone wins financially except the the people that keep paying to see the team or wear their merchandise.

Here's the thing.

I agree, some of these guys make obscene money.

But we have a choice to attend their events or not buy the products they endorse.

A CEO fails his company, he still ends up getting a bailout.

The players getting millions is not the issue. They are being paid for the billions they bring in for the owner. They are actually contracted professionals. If they could not command that pay the owners would tell them to go take a hike and sign someone else. This thread shows the mentality of some people when they blame what amounts to fellow employees when its the owners making the real money.

The players getting millions is not the issue. They are being paid for the billions they bring in for the owner. They are actually contracted professionals. If they could not command that pay the owners would tell them to go take a hike and sign someone else. This thread shows the mentality of some people when they blame what amounts to fellow employees when its the owners making the real money.

You don't think owners deserve the money they make?

They provide a service people pay for. If they didn't deserve it they wouldn't be able to make that amount. Its pretty self regulating.

The answer to that question is yes

and no

Do they deserve it? No. But morons are willing to spend hundreds of dollars to go watch a game and thousands more to buy merchandise etc etc, and most assuredly the people who OWN those enterprises deserve to be compensated in proportion to what those enterprises earn.

Of course the reality is people should say hell no I'm not paying $50 for a football game ticket and then salaries would drop on their own.

If not the athletes, then who should get those millions? People like us who attend the games and watch on TV are getting these people paid. So if we're going to complain about athletes getting the money, my next question who should the money go to?

You've got it all wrong. Under capitalism you don't direct where the money goes ( except for welfare). The answer is for the stupid americans to stop following sports so much. I haven't seen a football game in 20 years.

Oh I see. So since you feel I'm "stupid" for watching football, perhaps you could enlighten me on what I should do with my time on Sunday afternoons in the Fall when football is on?

The answer to that question is yes

and no

Do they deserve it? No. But morons are willing to spend hundreds of dollars to go watch a game and thousands more to buy merchandise etc etc, and most assuredly the people who OWN those enterprises deserve to be compensated in proportion to what those enterprises earn.

Of course the reality is people should say hell no I'm not paying $50 for a football game ticket and then salaries would drop on their own.

^^ That right there.

Oh I see. So since you feel I'm "stupid" for watching football, perhaps you could enlighten me on what I should do with my time on Sunday afternoons in the Fall when football is on?

Reading a book or volunteering your time are always great options.

Sunday afternoons in the Fall are the only time one can do these activities?

Sunday afternoons in the Fall are the only time one can do these activities?

No. Just suggesting some options. I watch football and basketball as well.

Forum List

Back