In which ways was Andrew Jackson the antithesis of Republicanism?

The founder of the democrat party hated republicanism for many reasons.
I'll start off, he hated separation of powers, and did not respect the separated powers principle.

Do you even know what you are talking about?

Popular democracy versus reptesentative democracy.

Andrew Jackson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jackson was nicknamed "Old Hickory" because of his toughness and aggressive personality; he fought in duels, some fatal to his opponents.[2] He was a wealthy slaveholder. He fought politically against what he denounced as a closed, undemocratic aristocracy, adding to his appeal to common citizens. He expanded the spoils system during his presidency to strengthen his political base.

Elected president in 1828, Jackson supported a small and limited federal government. He strengthened the power of the presidency, which he saw as spokesman for the entire population, as opposed to Congressmen from a specific small district. He was supportive of states' rights, but during the Nullification Crisis, declared that states do not have the right to nullify federal laws. Strongly against the national bank, he vetoed the renewal of its charter and ensured its collapse. Whigs and moralists denounced his aggressive enforcement of the Indian Removal Act, which resulted in the forced relocation of thousands of Native Americans to Indian Territory (now Oklahoma). Historians acknowledge his protection of popular democracy and individual liberty for United States citizens, but criticize his support for slavery and his role in Indian removal.[3][4]

The OP was incoherent. Jackson is, imo, the most interesting of the post-Madison pre-Lincoln potuses. The contradictions in him are monumental, and his economic record uneven, and his brutality not exagerated, but .... he was unyeilding in being the voice of the common white American seeking to better himself via his own efforts (and his slaves). He did adopt a native american, whom his troops orphaned, and I don't recall there were any notions he was especially barbaric towards his slaves ... beyond owning them, which is pretty horrific, but accepted at the time.

Fuck you, one typo big deal.

It wasn't a "typo," you're just a fucking moron.

Ok loser, whatever makes you happy I guess. If you would rather focus on a typo instead of debating the issue of Andrew Jackson and how he is supposedly oh so evil than it just shows that the position is weak, and has no basis in reality.

Jackson was the image of the rise of the common white man, although he was rich and so forth and so on. He embodied the ideals of the common white American. His victories at Horse Shoe Bend and New Orleans consolidated the Old Southeast for white immigration and cotton agriculture.

He was a man of his time, but he would be considered as weird as Iceman today.

Hey, Longknife, I am surprised to discover your a liberal. :lol:

JakeStarkey - I am NEITHER a conservative nor a Liberal. I am a middle of the road patriotic who loves this country and am deeply saddened by the way it is being taken by radicals on both ends of the spectrum.

I AM a constitutionalist who believe thew 10th Amendment that says if it ain't in the Constitution it's up to the states and the American PEOPLE.

The founder of the democrat party hated republicanism for many reasons.
I'll start off, he hated separation of powers, and did not respect the separated powers principle.

He may have hated separation of powers but that doesn't mean he hated Republicanism.

Jefferson and Madison first broke away from the federalists and called themselves Republicans, known by historians as Jeffersonian Republicans. Later to be called Democratic-Republicans and finally just Democrats. Many who opposed the constitution did so on the grounds that the didnt think it was Republican enough. See my pic-quote of Patrick Henry. He is critical of checks and balances inthe quote also.

repubs should love Jackson, he paid down the national debt and shut down the 2nd bank of the US because:

Jackson, known as obstinate and brutish but a man of the common people, called for an investigation into the bank's policies and political agenda as soon as he settled in to the White House in March 1829. To Jackson, the bank symbolized how a privileged class of businessmen oppressed the will of the common people of America.

Andrew Jackson shuts down Second Bank of the U.S. ? History.com This Day in History ? 9/10/1833

On Jan. 8, 1835, all the big political names in Washington gathered to celebrate what President Andrew Jackson had just accomplished. A senator rose to make the big announcement: "Gentlemen ... the national debt ... is PAID."

That was the one time in U.S. history when the country was debt free. It lasted exactly one year.

When The U.S. Paid Off The Entire National Debt (And Why It Didn't Last) : Planet Money : NPR

Forum List

Back