In Conversation: Can psychedelics rewire a depressed, anxious brain?

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Growing research into hallucinogenic drugs is demonstrating that—contrary to what was previously believed—depression and anxiety cannot be reduced to a simple equation of chemicals in the brain. So, will psychedelics be able to bring a decisive paradigm shift to how we view and treat these mental health conditions?

...For example, with prolonged episodes of anxiety, the amygdala, or the tiny almond-shaped center of emotions and motivation, grows larger and becomes hypersensitive. The stress caused by constant anxiety also shrinks the hippocampus, the structure involved in learning and memory.

These physical changes can also bring about more psychological symptoms or worsen them.

During anxiety, the constant “danger” signaling to the hypothalamus—the smart control and coordination center deep in the brain—also eventually weakens the connections between the amygdala and prefrontal cortexTrusted Source, which is responsible for planning, and decision-making. As a result of this chain of reactions, an individual may start to lose their ability to think analytically or logically.

“For example, in [depressed] adults, we see abnormally increased amygdala, as well as ventral striatal and medial prefrontal cortex activity. What that means is that the patients are more attuned toward negative emotional stimuli. They also show abnormally reduced ventral striatal activity toward positive emotion and emotional stimuli,” said Dr. Ambrose.

Here is what I think should happen. I think before any doctor prescribes this for anyone that has an anxiety disorder or has panic attacks they should take it themselves---a few times. I do not see this as being a good idea.

Growing research into hallucinogenic drugs is demonstrating that—contrary to what was previously believed—depression and anxiety cannot be reduced to a simple equation of chemicals in the brain. So, will psychedelics be able to bring a decisive paradigm shift to how we view and treat these mental health conditions?

...For example, with prolonged episodes of anxiety, the amygdala, or the tiny almond-shaped center of emotions and motivation, grows larger and becomes hypersensitive. The stress caused by constant anxiety also shrinks the hippocampus, the structure involved in learning and memory.

These physical changes can also bring about more psychological symptoms or worsen them.

During anxiety, the constant “danger” signaling to the hypothalamus—the smart control and coordination center deep in the brain—also eventually weakens the connections between the amygdala and prefrontal cortexTrusted Source, which is responsible for planning, and decision-making. As a result of this chain of reactions, an individual may start to lose their ability to think analytically or logically.

“For example, in [depressed] adults, we see abnormally increased amygdala, as well as ventral striatal and medial prefrontal cortex activity. What that means is that the patients are more attuned toward negative emotional stimuli. They also show abnormally reduced ventral striatal activity toward positive emotion and emotional stimuli,” said Dr. Ambrose.

Here is what I think should happen. I think before any doctor prescribes this for anyone that has an anxiety disorder or has panic attacks they should take it themselves---a few times. I do not see this as being a good idea.
I actually saw the documentary some yrs ago. Watching the people trip in a very controlled setting. Only one time though....I believe they used Peyote and not LSD for some reason...Long time ago.But I believe the long term results were promising

If you know of any certified clinics I'd like to join. Not for depression, but for kicks

A trip leaves one in a different frame of mind for sure. If you're not happy, do it again.

A Friend of my sister in law's cousin told me, you don't. Think I have personal knowledge??????

I actually saw the documentary some yrs ago. Watching the people trip in a very controlled setting. Only one time though....I believe they used Peyote and not LSD for some reason...Long time ago.But I believe the long term results were promising

If you know of any certified clinics I'd like to join. Not for depression, but for kicks
I don't know of any, yet.

So in my layman's way of thinking, maybe if someone's brain is already messed up, shocking it with psychedelics maybe brings it back in line similar to electroshock therapy but less severe. Just a guess.

So in my layman's way of thinking, maybe if someone's brain is already messed up, shocking it with psychedelics maybe brings it back in line similar to electroshock therapy but less severe. Just a guess.
And I have heard it's fun, especially with several hours of live grateful dead recordings

Hmmm I think it would be scary. But it probably depends on your personality.
Peyote is scary, I mean, I have heard peyote is scary. Mushrooms vary in strength but never last long as other trips. And mushrooms gave my friend colors and trails but no real hallucinations, at least not like good old synthetic LSD25

A trip leaves one in a different frame of mind for sure. If you're not happy, do it again.

A Friend of my sister in law's cousin told me, you don't. Think I have personal knowledge??????
The documentary said this was a one time thing ONLY.................The doses were well controlled

I agree with the one time only. My one time trip in college was beautiful. But I knew I could never return to that

I agree a joint leaves one in a different frame of mind permanently

The documentary said this was a one time thing ONLY.................The doses were well controlled

I agree with the one time only. My one time trip in college was beautiful. But I knew I could never return to that

I agree a joint leaves one in a different frame of mind permanently
Everyone reacts to a foreign substance in slightly different ways, and for something that totally affects the real self, I am guessing slight differences can be huge.

Peyote is scary, I mean, I have heard peyote is scary. Mushrooms vary in strength but never last long as other trips. And mushrooms gave my friend colors and trails but no real hallucinations, at least not like good old synthetic LSD25
My oldest son talked me into taking a victory bong hit when I retired. I be trippin on the couch for 4 hours. LOL

My oldest son talked me into taking a victory bong hit when I retired. I be trippin on the couch for 4 hours. LOL
I'm a grower in a legal state. I've smoked 8-20 joints a day for years. Along with edibles, hash, dabs....you name it. All of which I make myself. Once I operated a dispensary. Now I just grow for other dispensaries and people. I got so damn sick of people.....

I'm a grower in a legal state. I've smoked 8-20 joints a day for years. Along with edibles, hash, dabs....you name it. All of which I make myself. Once I operated a dispensary. Now I just grow for other dispensaries and people. I got so damn sick of people.....
8-20...lolol.......What kind of day did you have when you lit 20....lolololol

I'd be napping the rest of the day after 5...lol

8-20...lolol.......What kind of day did you have when you lit 20....lolololol

I'd be napping the rest of the day after 5...lol
I smoked 21 when I drove from home nears the sanders exit on I40 to Asheville NC to see my dad before he passed. 231/2 hours straight down I40 just stopping for gas. When I was a truck driver I could smoke 16 between Tampa and LA...

I'm curious if you have smoked that much for years, do you need to smoke more to achieve a high?

Marijuana is not psychedelic in my opinion. Different strains give different results in smoking it, edibles...not so much.
Technically it is with sight and sound. But it really is not after exposure. Booze is a psychedelic the first few times you are lit.....lolol...........................Double vision with one eye closed driving...lol

Forum List

Back