In a world without guns...the strong and the many can brutally beat the weak and outnumbered...

Where is the relationship between firearm ownership and homicide rate?

It' in any like-on-like comparison.

And I just know that know you are going to try comparing the US with Burundi, Fiji or Sri Lanka....anything to avoid dealing with reality and common sense.

Listen, you're a liberal, so please don't insult the rest of us by pretending you have any relationship to common sense or reality, we all know that these are foreign concepts in the liberal bubble universe.

You have the Canadian data available to you up thread. Why are the so many Canadian provinces experiencing higher homicide rates than white America?

Hmmm...Russia has a population of 143,800,000

The U.S. has a population of.............319,03,000

The U.S. has more guns in private hands than Russia...by a lot...

And yet...Russia has more gun murders than the United States....

Hmmm...explain that...

I always enjoy using left wing sources to debunk left wing claims...

The U.S. Has More Guns But Russia Has More Murders Parallels NPR

There are fewer than 13 million firearms in circulation in Russia, compared with an estimated 300 million in the United States. That works out to about 9 guns per 100 people in Russia and closed to 100 guns per 100 people in America.

The most recent homicide statistics for Russia show that there were 21,603 killings in 2009.
i

According to the FBI, the United States had 13,636 homicides in 2009 with a population that is more than twice as large. More than 80 percent of those killings were gun-related.

In spite of these laws, the country does have periodic mass shootings by people thought to be mentally ill.

Last November, after a five-day drinking binge, 30-year-old lawyer Dmitry Vinogradov posted a message online referring to humanity as "compost."

Shortly after, he walked into the Moscow pharmaceutical company where he worked and opened fire, killing six colleagues and critically injuring another. He was jailed for life last week.

Jesus wept....

Perhaps the OP can explain why countries with very few guns invariably also have very few murders?

No, of course he can't.

Carry on.
This fails as a false comparison fallacy.

It's foolish to compare the United States to other countries in this regard.

Of course it is - because it makes the US look bad.

By any other standard, comparing the US with France, Germany, the UK or Canada makes perfect sense.
And you think Americans care if foreigners think we look bad?

Hey, you're appealing to factors outside of gun ownership and homicide rate. Are you trying to tell us all that these confounding factors play a part in understanding the picture? Get out of town!

Of course there are other factors...who said otherwise?

And the more extreme and nonsensical comparisons you try to make, the more other factors skew the results.

Which is exactly what you are trying to do, of course, because if you approach this rationally and compare the US with countries like France and Germany - you lose. We know that.

But seriously....comparing the US and Estonia??!!

Homiciderate-Subnationalmap_zps866ff85e.jpg

It's too bad that African data is absent:

Homicide-YoungMale_zps76f11b25.jpg

Which is exactly what you are trying to do, of course, because if you approach this rationally and compare the US with countries like France and Germany - you lose. We know that.

Sadly, American doesn't collect crime data based on European ethnicity so we can't compare the homicide rates of German-Americans to Germans but I suspect it would mirror what we see with factors like poverty - German Americans are in poverty near the rate of Germans in Germany being in poverty.

In a democracy ....the rich and/or the many can brutally beat the weak and outnumbered...

In a democracy ....the rich and/or the many can brutally beat the weak and outnumbered...

...and they can be shot in self defense the second they put their hands on someone.

You 1st year poli sci majors are comical when you try to wax poetic...

the rich and/or the many can brutally beat the weak and outnumbered...

Hmmm...looking at crime reports...it doesn't seem like rich people running around beating and robbing people is a problem...embezzling...ponzi schemes...sure...but violent physical crimes that leave the victim in a coma....?

Since Saigon brings up Germany.

German homicide rate = 0.8
German gun ownership rate = 30.3

Let's see what is happening right next door in order to test the Liberal Bubble Universe version of reality, that more guns correlates to higher homicide rates:

Swiss homicide rate = 0.6
Swiss gun ownership rate = 45.7

Just as this graph predicts, Switzerland which has a firearm ownership rate 50% higher than Germany has a homicide rate which is 3/4 that of Germany. More firearms = less homicide.

The US is an outlier because we have a stratospheric black homicide rate.

Screen-Shot-2014-03-31-at-Monday-March-31-1.00-AM.png

Here is another study...foung via Thetruthabout guns website ...

a Clinton era study that puts defensive gun uses at 1.5 million a year...

http://www.tscm.com/165476.pdf

Guns in America: National Survey on Private Ownership and Use of Firearms

by Philip J. Cook and Jens Ludwig

A somewhat more conservative NSPOF estimate is shown in the column of ex- hibit 7 that reflects the application of the criteria used by Kleck and Gertz to identify "genuine" defensive gun uses. Respondents were excluded on the ba- sis of the most recent DGU description for any of the following reasons: the re- spondent did not see a perpetrator; the respondent could not state a specific crime that was involved in the inci- dent; or the respondent did not actu- ally display the gun or mention it to the perpetrator.

Applying those restrictions leaves 19 NSPOF respondents (0.8 percent of the sample), representing 1.5 million defensive users. This estimate is di- rectly comparable to the well-known estimate of Kleck and Gertz, shown in the last column of exhibit 7. While the NSPOF estimate is smaller, it is statis- tically plausible that the difference is due to sampling error. Inclusion of multiple DGUs reported by half of the 19 NSPOF respondents increases the estimate to 4.7 million DGUs.

Some troubling comparisons. If the DGU numbers are in the right ballpark, millions of attempted as- saults, thefts, and break-ins were foiled by armed citizens during the 12- month period. According to these re- sults, guns are used far more often to defend against crime than to perpe- trate crime. (Firearms were used by perpetrators in 1.07 million incidents of violent crime in 1994, according to NCVS data.)

Hmmm...explain that...

Seriously?

THIS is your best argument?

Jesus wept....

I knew it! I knew it!

I knew someone would to bring up Switzerland!!!

Because a country in which everyone does military service - and in which those guns are counted as gun ownership statistics because the weapons can be taken home - is SO like the US, isn't it?!

Buckle up kids, comparisons with Fiji and Burundi will be here soon!!!

Hmmm...explain that...

Seriously?

THIS is your best argument?

Jesus wept....

refute it, then...

Yeah, bring up Switzerland...an Saigon thinks you are nuts....considering they have actual military quality weapons...in their homes...with children...

He brings up military service...hmmm...I think the Fort Hood "workplace violence/muslim jihadi" shooter...Major in the military was actually in the military...

Why is it such a wrong idea to bring up Switzerland...and it's rate of gun ownership...

more anti gunner logic...

I knew it! I knew it!

I knew someone would to bring up Switzerland!!!

Buckle up kids, comparisons with Fiji and Burundi will be here soon!!!

And I know that you're going to invoke a Just-So rationalization by focusing on the controls that Switzerland imposes on the firearms. Nevertheless, the populations are as closely matched as we can find and the Swiss have a lower homicide rate than Germany, regardless of the nature of gun ownership.

It's odd that you keep invoking special pleading for all the falsifications of your bubble-universe beliefs but never bother to investigate the circumstances which lead to high American homicide rates and instead cling to your mystical, comical correlation and that's why I included a graph of developed countries. No surprise that you ignored that disconfirming evidence.

Recall our discussion on liberal bias in the media. You're a good example of what people are complaining about.

Forum List

Back