In a world without guns...the strong and the many can brutally beat the weak and outnumbered...

So we cannot compare any two countries on any parameter, ever?

Sure you can. You compare Finnish-American homicide rates to Finnish homicide rates and thus you isolate gun ownership rates as the factor being studied. You don't compare inner-city black Chicago to Helsinki.

Sure you can. You compare Finnish-American homicide rates to Finnish homicide rates and thus you isolate gun ownership rates as the factor being studied. You don't compare inner-city black Chicago to Helsinki.

Who was comparing inner-city black Chicago with Helsinki?

Anyone?

Or are just flailing away now....?

Let's compare like with like....I'll post the stats for France and Germany, and we can compare those with the US...

And there aren't many black people or gangs in the prairies.

Not many in Idaho either and, as you note, Idaho has a higher rate of firearm ownership than Canada.

And a higher murder rate.

Canada's homicide rate in 2010 was 1.62 per 100,000. Idaho's homicide rate in 2010 was 1.4. Neighboring Alberta's homicide rate in 2010 was 2.07.

We were talking about a correlation between levels of gun ownership and homicide.

That's one year, which was the third lowest in over 40 years. The 15 year average in Idaho is ~2.4/100k v ~1.7/100k in Canada.

Idaho Crime Rates 1960 - 2012

The reason why I use 15 years is because that's the longest I could find for Canada.

Firearm rights have been expanding over time. The rates from 15 years ago are pretty meaningless. The deterrence effect is diminished when we go back so far. As more people become gun owners "politeness" increases. The last 5 years in Idaho have had lower rates than most all years prior, plus we're dealing with a small population base so year by year spikes of a few additional murders are going to show significant change in the state-wide statistics.

That's why statisticians don't use a single year.

Gun ownership has always been easier in Idaho than it has been in Canada. And the murder rate has almost always been significantly higher.

Who was comparing inner-city black Chicago with Helsinki?

Anyone?

Or are just flailing away now....?

Let's compare like with like....I'll post the stats for France and Germany, and we can compare those with the US...

Estonia FALSIFIED your claim.

Not many in Idaho either and, as you note, Idaho has a higher rate of firearm ownership than Canada.

And a higher murder rate.

Canada's homicide rate in 2010 was 1.62 per 100,000. Idaho's homicide rate in 2010 was 1.4. Neighboring Alberta's homicide rate in 2010 was 2.07.

We were talking about a correlation between levels of gun ownership and homicide.

That's one year, which was the third lowest in over 40 years. The 15 year average in Idaho is ~2.4/100k v ~1.7/100k in Canada.

Idaho Crime Rates 1960 - 2012

The reason why I use 15 years is because that's the longest I could find for Canada.

Firearm rights have been expanding over time. The rates from 15 years ago are pretty meaningless. The deterrence effect is diminished when we go back so far. As more people become gun owners "politeness" increases. The last 5 years in Idaho have had lower rates than most all years prior, plus we're dealing with a small population base so year by year spikes of a few additional murders are going to show significant change in the state-wide statistics.

That's why statisticians don't use a single year.

Gun ownership has always been easier in Idaho than it has been in Canada. And the murder rate has almost always been significantly higher.

More Canadian data for 2010 broken down by province.

Nova Scotia = 2.22
Ontario= 1.43
Manitoba = 3.64
Saskatchewan = 3.26
British Columbia = 1.83
Yukon = 2.89
NWT = 2.28
Nunavit = 18.28 (not a typo)

Idaho, again, was 1.4.

Guns per capita & homicides per capita:

USA : 90 guns per 100 people
Holland: 3.9

USA 4.7
Holland: 0.9

And another myth bites the dust.....

Look deeper...What are the demographics of the 2 countries?
What is the violent crime rate for negroes in america?

According to the DOJ, BJS, FBI and CDC, negroes commit over HALF of ALL violent crime in america, despite only making up 13% of the population.
It isn't a gun problem, it's a negro problem.

Guns per capita:
USA 90 per 100 people
France 31.2
Germany 30.3

Homcide rates:

USA 4.7 per 100,000
France 1.0
Germany 0.8

And yet...this is only half of the story...and not even the most important half...guns save lives and stop violent crimes at a rate, on average of 1.4 million times a year in the United States...this number comes from averaging about 15 seperate studies of gun use for self defense, from different researchers over a 40 year period...and supported by further studies by the U.S. Justice dept. that found that guns are used 1.5 million times a year to save lives and stop crime and even by the most recent look at the research by obama, who commissioned his CDC, in 2013, to study all the data...and the CDC found that guns are used between 500,000 and 3 million times a year to save lives and stop crime...far out weighing murder with guns, accidents with guns and suicides by gun...combined...

So...let's not forget both halves of the equation...

Guns per capita:

USA 90 per 100 people
France 31.2
Germany 30.3

Homcide rates:

USA 4.7 per 100,000
France 1.0
Germany 0.8

List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

So the US has three times as many guns, and 4.7 times as many muders as France.

I doubt that is coincidence, somehow....

And the homicide rate for American whites is 2.55.

Estonia gun ownership rate = 9.2
France gun ownership rate = 30

Estonia homicide rate = 5.0
France homicide rate = 1.0

Estonia's gun ownership rate is 30% of France's and its homicide rate is 400% higher.

Where is the relationship between firearm ownership and homicide rate?

USA 4.7

According to the DOJ, BJS, FBI and CDC, negroes commit over HALF of ALL violent crime in america, despite only making up 13% of the population.
It isn't a gun problem, it's a negro problem.

Th demographics are probably broadly similar....I suspect that a higher % of people in Holland are migrants, though. Was that what you meant?

Ha! Does it REALLY??!!

And do you think this might have anything to do with Estonia being about 2 miles long and largely controlled by the Russian mafia?

Do you know it is also has the EU's worst rates of both HIV infection and heroin abuse?

My god this forum makes me laugh, sometimes!!!

Keeping in mind that Australian gun crime is confined, currently, to biker gangs and immigrant communities...once that spreads to the wider Australian inner city gang populations you will see more gun crime...

And do you think this might have anything to do with Estonia being about 2 miles long and largely controlled by the Russian mafia?

So you agree....it is a criminal gang problem...and not guns that need to be addressed...right? Since law abiding citizens aren't the ones comitting the gun murders...right?

Ha! Does it REALLY??!!

Do you know it is also has the EU's worst rates of both HIV infection and heroin abuse?

My god this forum makes me laugh, sometimes!!!

Hey, you're appealing to factors outside of gun ownership and homicide rate. Are you trying to tell us all that these confounding factors play a part in understanding the picture? Get out of town!

Criminal gangs drive gun murder rates, as do violent criminals in our country...

Where is the relationship between firearm ownership and homicide rate?

It' in any like-on-like comparison.

And I just know that know you are going to try comparing the US with Burundi, Fiji or Sri Lanka....anything to avoid dealing with reality and common sense.

Hey, you're appealing to factors outside of gun ownership and homicide rate. Are you trying to tell us all that these confounding factors play a part in understanding the picture? Get out of town!

Of course there are other factors...who said otherwise?

And the more extreme and nonsensical comparisons you try to make, the more other factors skew the results.

Which is exactly what you are trying to do, of course, because if you approach this rationally and compare the US with countries like France and Germany - you lose. We know that.

But seriously....comparing the US and Estonia??!!

USA 4.7

It isn't a gun problem, it's a negro problem.[/QUOTE]

The demographics are probably broadly similar...
"probably" "broadly similar"....Those are meaningless terms. Why not just say "I don't know" when you don't know?

but seriously, though....You think holland has as many negroes as the u.s.?

.I suspect that a higher % of people in Holland are migrants, though. Was that what you meant?
You "suspect" that holland has a higher % of immigrants than the u.s.? Ok...then if it isn't the dutch that are committing these crimes, what's left? The immigrants.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back