Images of Africa

Katnz -

If there is more fighting in the Kivus, that fighting will take place not in Rwanda, but in the Kivus. The relationhip between DRC and Rwanda is tense, and is likely to remain so for a while, but at least both countries are functioning democracies, and are more stable than they have been for 50 years.

Perhaps peace can be achieved with the murders of millions of people!

Please don't post things like that. This has been an adult conversation so far - let's keep it that way.

Even when some little corner of Africa becomes peaceful, it seems to never last for long.

Right - and when was the last time there was fighting in Botswana? Ghana? Senegal? Namibia? Tunisia?

I could list a lot more, as well.

Your statement that the DRC and Rwanda are functioning democracies again demonstrates what a total fraud you are.

Nice pics!

Pervert High_Gravity Sandusky! No decent person wants to see your butt hole.

Call me crazy, but I somehow think the butt in HG's avatar is not his own....!

Arte -

Try to maintain a little dignity.

I don't see your posts, I don't read your posts, and stalking me doesn't encourage me to do so.

I know that you don't like to be confronted with your lies. And frauds like you shouldn't talk about dignity. You even deny your own quotes, what kind of dignity is that?

What? Show the good or beautiful side of Africa and spoil the propaganda by "developed nations"? Got to be kidding!

By the way, love the images: Great shots. And wishing your brother happy travels!

Thanks, man!

Not to sure the dark side of Africa is propaganda, though. In the 1960s and 1970s I think there was a lot of propaganda, but it has now been 50 years since independence for most African countries, and I think local people need to be accountable for their own lives.

Belgians were responsible for the collapse of Congolese life...but it is the Congolese who have held themselves down since then.

What? Show the good or beautiful side of Africa and spoil the propaganda by "developed nations"? Got to be kidding!

By the way, love the images: Great shots. And wishing your brother happy travels!

Thanks, man!

Not to sure the dark side of Africa is propaganda, though. In the 1960s and 1970s I think there was a lot of propaganda, but it has now been 50 years since independence for most African countries, and I think local people need to be accountable for their own lives.

Belgians were responsible for the collapse of Congolese life...but it is the Congolese who have held themselves down since then.

Actually, the Belgian Congo was much better off under Belgian rule (however colonialist and exploitative that was). It's been downhill ever since.

I have never been to Africa (something I hope to remedy one day) but I have had students who survived horrors in the Congo, Rwanda, Somalia, and other parts of Africa that were just hair raising when they (eventually, only after much trust had been developed) recounted them to me. It is astonishing what human beings are capable of doing to one another, and what they are capable of overcoming.

I have never been to Africa (something I hope to remedy one day) but I have had students who survived horrors in the Congo, Rwanda, Somalia, and other parts of Africa that were just hair raising when they (eventually, only after much trust had been developed) recounted them to me. It is astonishing what human beings are capable of doing to one another, and what they are capable of overcoming.

True enough, and it seems to be not only true of individuals, but of entire communities.

People in Rwanda, in particular, are warm, welcoming and trustworthy. And yet it is still only 18 years since one of the most violent attempts at genocide the world has ever seen. That makes no sense to me at all!

Africa is a wonderful region to travel; something like South Africa, Namibia and Botswana is a wonderful trip for your first touch of the continent. All 3 countries are quite civilised, and relatively easy to travel in.

The ones taken as slaves were certainly more fortunate than those left behind.

I don't think anything more needs to be added to this statement, really. This really is one of the breathtaking claims I have ever seen made on a discussion forum.

Not to me, I have heard several people make this same exact statement on this board.

Wow....it's a first for me. I just don't know what to say about a statement like that.

When you think of the number of slaves who starved to death or died of disease en route, those who were simply thrown overboard in some cases, and then those who worked literally worked to death in sugar plantations from Brazil to Cuba and the US....I can't see how that could be a better option for anyone.

I don't think anything more needs to be added to this statement, really. This really is one of the breathtaking claims I have ever seen made on a discussion forum.

Not to me, I have heard several people make this same exact statement on this board.

Wow....it's a first for me. I just don't know what to say about a statement like that.

When you think of the number of slaves who starved to death or died of disease en route, those who were simply thrown overboard in some cases, and then those who worked literally worked to death in sugar plantations from Brazil to Cuba and the US....I can't see how that could be a better option for anyone.

I agree, people just look at how Blacks in the US are living compared to Africa and think Black Americans should be grateful they are here, even though it was through slavery. That is borderline insane but it is what it is.

Jos -

The sand dunes are at Sossusvlei, which is about a three hour drive south of Windhoek. They are straight down the coast from Swakopmund, but I don't think there is a road - it's just desert. An amazing, amazing area.

Oh please. It's not like only black people suffered. Many people died of disease or starved to death en route. Steerage passengers didn't get room service. They didn't get food at all. They got what they were carrying and only if that little bit wasn't stolen. Being black does not exempt an individual from the laws of physics.

Oh please. It's not like only black people suffered. Many people died of disease or starved to death en route. Steerage passengers didn't get room service. They didn't get food at all. They got what they were carrying and only if that little bit wasn't stolen. Being black does not exempt an individual from the laws of physics.

What are you talking about?

The Atlantic slaves were all black, so yes, black people were the only ones who suffered.

There were virtually no passengers on slave ships at all, and those who were carried as passangers generally received good meals with the officers.

What are you talking about?

The Atlantic slaves were all black, so yes, black people were the only ones who suffered.

There were virtually no passengers on slave ships at all, and those who were carried as passangers generally received good meals with the officers.

There were plenty of passenger ships that weren't slave ships that had as many deaths. There were more ships than just slave ships. Although, I grant you, on slave ships there were mostly slaves. There are other people in the world than just black people, and all of them count too. Not just black people.

The Steerage Passenger - Conditions circa 1913 Contrasted with Old Steerage Conditions

Forum List

Back