I'm taking a stand against political correctness in my writing group...

The woman who holds the position of Education Officer reminds me of the popular girl in high school who everyone pretends to like because they're afraid of her. The reality is, there's a layer of bitch just beneath the "nice" surface personality. I instantly took a dislike to her, and now that I know she's in charge of suppressing writer creativity, my dislike of her has proven to have a rational basis.

My new friend in the other writer's group has made me realize that the writer's group I was in was trash. I'm glad I made this stink, because now I'm out of there and onto another group, who I hope will be be better because its founder supports what I was doing.
I would think a general rule of thumb is, never join any group with an "Education Officer."
Absolutely.....the whole thing smells based on that.

The leader of the Erotic Writer's Club told me she was staying out of the "disaster" but really likes me and my writing, and begged me to stay in her group because her group has nothing to do with the other group.

So, I still have friends, and now that the chips are down, I know who they are.

My writers' center never directed me in any particular way. When I was given an assignment to write a dialogue about three people who were waiting for a fourth to come, and only only of these three knew anything about the person they were waiting for, it took me a lot to find a scene, but I finally arrived at two white prisoners (dominant and subservient lover), and the black guard that they were holding captive, who were waiting for one of the white guys to arrive in a helicopter to pick them up (got the idea from a newspaper clipping). I apologized at the top of my assignment for the language that I used, and my writing professor (US Naval Academy) told me never to apologize for what I write. For example, I had to use the word "******," (a derogatory epithet for a person of African descent) which I would never use in my wildest dreams, but my prisoner would.
That's exactly the kind of thing my former friends at the writer's group would say we are not permitted to write.

What kind of writers' group were you at?

The leader of the Erotic Writer's Club told me she was staying out of the "disaster" but really likes me and my writing, and begged me to stay in her group because her group has nothing to do with the other group.

"the Erotic Writer's Club"? :71:

"the Erotic Writer's Club"? :71:
Wow! What a thought. My writing friend and I challenged each other to write something "erotic,'" some 20 years ago. She produced something that could be described as soaking wet pages. I was impressed. I found that I couldn't do it. I could not go that deep down in my own thoughts, feelings, and memories to do it right. I had writer's block. Couldn't go there in my head. It showed me what my personal limitations were. Maybe they've changed. I'm not talking about "dirty." Just "deep." I could not turn myself into D.H. Lawrence at that point. I've thought that I couldn't face something deep within myself.

The "lesson" is "don't offend LGBT people, they will get you, and then you will be sorry."

No mention of what happens if you offend Christians.
You can offend LGBT people all you want. But don't whine if some don't like it.

So to be clear, you are supporting the idea of using whatever power you have to punish people that offend you and yours?

The "lesson" is "don't offend LGBT people, they will get you, and then you will be sorry."

So to be clear, you are supporting the idea of using whatever power you have to punish people that offend you and yours?
Nope...not at all. I would not get involved with such people in the first place and I certainly wouldn't give them so much power over me that I have to whine on social media about it.

Nope...not at all. I would not get involved with such people in the first place and I certainly wouldn't give them so much power over me that I have to whine on social media about it.

So, you are blaming blackrook for letting the liberals have power over him, not blaming the liberals in question for abusing their power.

You support the bullies of the world, because right now, your side are the bullies.

What’s a nice Catholic boy like you doing writing erotica?

...and I'm already making enemies.

The Education Officer has invited a "diversity discussion and panel" to talk to our writer's group and that has me alarmed.

You see, I've included all sorts of diversity in my science fiction book series, a mixed bag of characters which include people of all races, species, sexual orientations, sexual identities, and what not. Foolish me, I thought that was a good thing.

Apparently not.

When "white, straight, cis males" write anyone who isn't white, straight, cis and male, apparently we need special pointers from self-appointed guidance counselors so that we can avoid "offending" people.

Today, I made a big stink about it on the group's Facebook page, telling the group I'm not going to submit my work for approval by censors.

The Vice-President of the group told me to "give it a rest" and the Education Officer tried to shut down the debate as "destructive." So I know they're both against me, because they're trying to censor the discussion.

Tell me what you think. Is this a fight worth fighting? I think it is.
The Vice-President of the group told me to "give it a rest" and the Education Officer tried to shut down the debate as "destructive."

CONFORM CONFORM CONFORM
fuck these losers
Your next story
make it all the charters white and straight

My new friend in the other writer's group has made me realize that the writer's group I was in was trash. I'm glad I made this stink, because now I'm out of there and onto another group, who I hope will be be better because its founder supports what I was doing.
I would think a general rule of thumb is, never join any group with an "Education Officer."
Thank you for your support, OldLady, we finally have something we agree on.

What's really weird is that I was defending my right to be inclusive and diverse in my writing, against people who told me I had no right to do that unless I gave them leave to review my stuff to make sure it didn't "offend" anyone.

I never anticipated that I, a hard-core conservative, would be fighting this battle. But I didn't plan how my story turned out, I'm a "seat of my pants" writer and the thing just wrote itself, including all these LGBT characters who insisted on being in the story, and not on the sidelines, but as the main action going.

The thing is, I expected my devout Catholic father to hate my story, but I never would have suspected that the attack would come from the left. I assumed, because I didn't know any better, that my LGBT story would win me all kinds of friends and allies on the left, and they would read my story and thoroughly enjoy it.

But I forgot the main thing that defines the left, they don't enjoy anything. They ruin absolutely everything, including stories written by people who are trying to be inclusive and diverse. There is no winning with these people, don't ever forget that fact.

This post, saying that "the left" doesn't enjoy anything, makes me suspicious of your motives as you write and what your writing actually says. Are you just writing to prove a political point? If so, stick to op-ed.

I've made the decision that initiating a Facebook discussion about this issue is not enough. I am a lawyer, so I'm going to take on my writer's group using legal means. I have PM'd the Vice-President and asked him to mail me a copy of the by-laws. Once I have studied the by-laws, I will see if there are provisions for an emergency election of new officers. If there are, I will attempt to rally together an alliance of writers who oppose the "diversity workshop" and put them up as candidates for officer. I already know there are three officers who need to be replaced, the Vice-President, the Education Officer, and one other officer who I do not yet know his position, but will make it my business to find out.

What is this organization that you are involved with? You cannot bring a non-frivolous lawsuit based on this type of thing. See Rule 11 of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure.

What’s a nice Catholic boy like you doing writing erotica?
I know. Weird. But I'm a "seat of the pants" type writer. I never know what's going to appear on the screen next. It writes itself. I end up with erotic scenes that I might suspect are coming, but I never know for sure.

Did you go into your childish rant about Nazis with them too? I suspect you won't need to make a choice anyway. They will probably kick your crazy ass out of the program anyway. Grow up you big baby.
So you're taking a stand in favor of censorship.

I'm glad you've declared yourself so openly, now I know you're an enemy of America and everything it stands for.

What ever, BooBoo. Tell me more about the Nazis trying to help beginning authors.
You are an enemy.

Really? Do I get some sort of badge, or a certificate? I like to stick those to the refrigerator with those little magnets.
BULLDOG, on the day you people take over, there won't even be political forums anymore, you and your ilk will outlaw them.
That is when war becomes the political forum.

Don't be afraid, this is what these people have asked for and they will get it.

So you're taking a stand in favor of censorship.

I'm glad you've declared yourself so openly, now I know you're an enemy of America and everything it stands for.

What ever, BooBoo. Tell me more about the Nazis trying to help beginning authors.
You are an enemy.

Really? Do I get some sort of badge, or a certificate? I like to stick those to the refrigerator with those little magnets.
BULLDOG, on the day you people take over, there won't even be political forums anymore, you and your ilk will outlaw them.

What exactly do you think I asked for, and when do you think I did that?

You are an enemy.

What exactly do you think I asked for, and when do you think I did that?
When you take away the ability for people to voice their opinions or even represent themselves as you leftists have done you create the scenario in which violence becomes the voice of the people.

Forum List

Back