I'm sick of these lies about

sealybobo
Daniel Coles, a Walmart worker in Paramount, California, feels it’s impossible for him to do his job well. “Right now we are understaffed big time,” says Coles, who works in a predominantly Latino working-class community. “Especially at the front end, we don't have enough cashiers to take care of customers, so we have long lines.”

Coles says he faced similar problems at his previous Walmart job in Crenshaw, a majority-black neighborhood in Los Angeles, but had a much better experience at a Walmart in San Bernardino, which he says catered more to middle-class, white customers. “At San Bernardino, we had enough staffing, we weren't really short at all,” says Coles. “We had coverage in every department, so customers respected us because it was a good experience.”

in Coles’s experience, Walmart seemed to prioritize adequate staffing and customer satisfaction far more in white communities. New research suggests that his experience may be shared by Walmart workers in communities of color across the country.

Adam Reich, an assistant professor of sociology at Columbia University, conducted an analysis of roughly 35,000 Yelp reviews of Walmart locations around the U.S. Among the 2,840 stores the reviews pertained to, Reich found that the higher the percentage of black or Latino residents in a zip code, the lower the Yelp reviews were of stores in that area, even when controlling for the area’s average income.

In Walmart stores in predominantly black zip codes, customers were more likely to use words like “worst,” “unorganized,” “nasty,” and “slow” to describe their shopping experiences. In predominantly white zip codes, customers used words like “smaller,” “friendly,” and “clean” to review their stores.

Reich says this evidence, along with interviews his team collected from 89 Walmart workers in Los Angeles, Dallas, Chicago, Cincinnati, and Florida, suggest that Walmart systematically understaffs stores in communities of color, a practice he calls “consumer redlining.”

Walmart did not respond to my inquiry about Reich’s hypothesis, but it did issue a statement to Business Insider, saying that it thought Reich’s study was “flawed and without merit.” A spokesperson told the publication, “Our associates play a critical role in the company's success and that's why we've invested $2.7 billion on associate education, training, and wages. We're also proud to provide communities across the country, regardless of social or economic background, access to affordable goods and career opportunities to help them better provide for their families."

At any rate, this perceived understaffing may not be a result of explicit racial animus so much as a natural consequence of Walmart’s business model, which relies on far lower labor costs than its competitors. Since Walmart opens up many stores in areas where consumers already have few shopping options, the

So basically white people say there is racism in Walmart, now you believe it, rather than believe what blk ppl have been saying for years.
Don forget I’m a liberal. I’ve acknowledged it since the 1980s. I see it or have seen it at a lot of companies. My brother is in hr and has rolled out diversity programs to improve their Numbers. It’s a fact bias prejudice and racism have held blacks back. I’ve seen it personally.

I used to work at a Hilton. Business hotel Monday through fridays. Made a lot of money and met a lot of business men who influenced me. Companies would have their Christmas parties. White, white, white men young middle age and old. These people had good jobs. Where did they get these jobs? They got them from their neighbors friends and family. No I’m sure someone will say they didn’t, but a lot do.

How did I get the job as a bellman? My buddy worked there first. A friend got me that good job.

And not 20 minutes from where I was working I used to live in Detroit. None of those young men are getting the same good opportunpities I admit.

It would be unfair to tell you to have a black open a hotel in Detroit and get people to stay there so you can hire a bunch of black people. But then you’ll cry if whitey owns the hotel. so can’t win with you

sealybobo
Don't forget I’m a liberal.

You get white supremacists on the right and white supremacists on the left.
And you have black supremacists on the left and white supremacists on the right. I thought about you today while walking my dog in the woods. You said you teach your son to never fully trust a white person.

So you are saying you teach him to always trust black people or only sometimes?

Ultimately you should teach him never trust anyone completely. Or judge each person no by the color of their skin. Like if he murdered someone. Don’t ever tell anyone that secret even one of your bro’s right? Maybe your dad or brother but that’s it. And even they might tell someone else, who then tells someone else.

And look at Nicole brown. Us white guys tell white women what will happen to them if they date a black or Muslim.

Should a black woman ever fully trust a black man? Eddie Murphy on raw said never. It’s built into your dna to fuck as many women as you can. If you say no Eddie says you’re lying.

Black men aren’t that trustworthy so I understand why you have trust issues. That’s good. It’s a survival instinct. Smart

sealybobo
Daniel Coles, a Walmart worker in Paramount, California, feels it’s impossible for him to do his job well. “Right now we are understaffed big time,” says Coles, who works in a predominantly Latino working-class community. “Especially at the front end, we don't have enough cashiers to take care of customers, so we have long lines.”

Coles says he faced similar problems at his previous Walmart job in Crenshaw, a majority-black neighborhood in Los Angeles, but had a much better experience at a Walmart in San Bernardino, which he says catered more to middle-class, white customers. “At San Bernardino, we had enough staffing, we weren't really short at all,” says Coles. “We had coverage in every department, so customers respected us because it was a good experience.”

in Coles’s experience, Walmart seemed to prioritize adequate staffing and customer satisfaction far more in white communities. New research suggests that his experience may be shared by Walmart workers in communities of color across the country.

Adam Reich, an assistant professor of sociology at Columbia University, conducted an analysis of roughly 35,000 Yelp reviews of Walmart locations around the U.S. Among the 2,840 stores the reviews pertained to, Reich found that the higher the percentage of black or Latino residents in a zip code, the lower the Yelp reviews were of stores in that area, even when controlling for the area’s average income.

In Walmart stores in predominantly black zip codes, customers were more likely to use words like “worst,” “unorganized,” “nasty,” and “slow” to describe their shopping experiences. In predominantly white zip codes, customers used words like “smaller,” “friendly,” and “clean” to review their stores.

Reich says this evidence, along with interviews his team collected from 89 Walmart workers in Los Angeles, Dallas, Chicago, Cincinnati, and Florida, suggest that Walmart systematically understaffs stores in communities of color, a practice he calls “consumer redlining.”

Walmart did not respond to my inquiry about Reich’s hypothesis, but it did issue a statement to Business Insider, saying that it thought Reich’s study was “flawed and without merit.” A spokesperson told the publication, “Our associates play a critical role in the company's success and that's why we've invested $2.7 billion on associate education, training, and wages. We're also proud to provide communities across the country, regardless of social or economic background, access to affordable goods and career opportunities to help them better provide for their families."

At any rate, this perceived understaffing may not be a result of explicit racial animus so much as a natural consequence of Walmart’s business model, which relies on far lower labor costs than its competitors. Since Walmart opens up many stores in areas where consumers already have few shopping options, the

So basically white people say there is racism in Walmart, now you believe it, rather than believe what blk ppl have been saying for years.
Don forget I’m a liberal. I’ve acknowledged it since the 1980s. I see it or have seen it at a lot of companies. My brother is in hr and has rolled out diversity programs to improve their Numbers. It’s a fact bias prejudice and racism have held blacks back. I’ve seen it personally.

I used to work at a Hilton. Business hotel Monday through fridays. Made a lot of money and met a lot of business men who influenced me. Companies would have their Christmas parties. White, white, white men young middle age and old. These people had good jobs. Where did they get these jobs? They got them from their neighbors friends and family. No I’m sure someone will say they didn’t, but a lot do.

How did I get the job as a bellman? My buddy worked there first. A friend got me that good job.

And not 20 minutes from where I was working I used to live in Detroit. None of those young men are getting the same good opportunpities I admit.

It would be unfair to tell you to have a black open a hotel in Detroit and get people to stay there so you can hire a bunch of black people. But then you’ll cry if whitey owns the hotel. so can’t win with you
If true that is bad. There are many black people who opened businesses and got screwed over by their own employees. They then branched out to hire many more white people. All the while taxpayers foot the bill. Minority contractors can be the worst of a whole bunch of corrupted contractors.

sealybobo

If true that is bad. There are many black people who opened businesses and got screwed over by their own employees. They then branched out to hire many more white people. All the while taxpayers foot the bill. Minority contractors can be the worst of a whole bunch of corrupted contractors.
How do tax payers foot the bill in that scenario?

Forum List

Back