Illegal Employer Problem

Neither is an expensive wall.

I hope we move our military to the border. Do you know how many privates in the military are sitting around doing nothing?

Where do we fight wars now? The hot Middle East? Seems like the border is the perfect place to train them. We make privates in boot camp hike long distances, right? Patrol the god damn border!

Maybe the National Guard, but I am against military operations within our borders. Illegal employers are basically the head of the snake. I have thought more aggressive fines and investigations would bear fruit.
Why do you mind military operations within our borders?

The fact is that we had an open border with Mexico for several centuries, and "illegal immigration" was never a serious problem. Before Reagan's presidency, an estimated million or so people a year came into the US from Mexico - and the same number, more or less, left the US for Mexico at the end of the agricultural harvest season. Very few stayed, because there weren't jobs for them.

Non-citizens didn't have access to the non-agricultural US job market, in large part because of the power of US labor unions (before Reagan 25% of the workforce was unionized; today the private workforce is about 7% unionized), and because companies were unwilling to risk having non-tax-deductible labor expenses on their books by hiring undocumented workers without valid Social Security numbers.

But Reagan put an end to that. His 1986 amnesty program, combined with his aggressive war on organized labor (begun in 1981), in effect told both employers and non-citizens that there would be few penalties and many rewards to increasing the US labor pool (and thus driving down wages) with undocumented immigrants. A million people a year continued to come across our southern border, but they stopped returning to Latin America every fall because instead of seasonal work they were able to find permanent jobs.

The magnet drawing them? Illegal Employers.

Yet in the American media, Illegal Employers are almost never mentioned.

Lou Dobbs, the most visible media champion of this issue, always starts his discussion of the issue with a basic syllogism - 1. Our border is porous. 2. People are coming across our porous border and diluting our labor markets, driving down US wages. 3. Therefore we must make the border less porous.

Lou's syllogism, however, ignores the real problem, the magnet drawing people to risk life and limb to illegally enter this country - Illegal Employers. Our borders have always been porous (and even with a "fence" will still allow through "tourists" by the millions), but we've never had a problem like this before.

Yet fifty years ago we didn't have an "illegal immigration" problem, because back then we didn't have a conservative "Illegal Employer" problem.

It was a good post till you said illegal employers were never mentioned in the press, if they were not mentioned how do we know about it????
That was a 2006 op ed. Back when we were anti illegals but you Neocons were not. Half of you got it but the corporatist ran your party and they swore they were just doing jobs Americans wouldn’t do.

Then came trump now the racist side of the Republican Party now runs the White House.

Not the senate of house. They are still corporatist. So are democrats. This is one issue I side with trump and the racist republicans.

I don’t care what color the immigrants are they are deluding our job market with low wage workers and that keeps wages down. Slow down immigration and fuck growth. Worry about middle class wages then growth next.

Most we're always anti ilegals, I know I was even in the 80s, it was supposed to be a one time deal with Regean

Sealybobo, I agree that the repubs, do not help the situation at all with their hiring of illegals. However I also see that the majority, if not all, mayors of sanctuary cities are dems { I cannot think of a mayor who is a repub doing this}. Also dems also own business and hire illegals. So what we get is a bunch of bloviating rhetoric from both sides while the problem continues. All I can think of when it comes to our politicans "talking" about solving problems is Mel Brooks in Blazing Saddles pounding his desk saying "we have to protect our phoney baloney jobs gentelmen". Alot of talk, while things continue to deteroriate and nothing really worth while gets accomplished. IMHO.

Was I right or was I right? See? We have an illegal employer problem. Did you hear about the raids in Mississippi and Alabama?

One of the plants is owned by Koch Foods Inc., which bills itself as one of the largest poultry processors in the U.S. with more than 13,000 employees. Forbes ranks it as the 135th largest privately held company in the country, with an estimated $3.2 billion in annual revenue, according to Fortune.

Another plant raided Wednesday is in Canton, Miss., and is owned by Peco Foods Inc., based in Tuscaloosa, Ala. It is the eighth-largest poultry producer in the U.S., according to the company's website.

If Trump starts going after illegal employers, I will be impressed.

The fact is that we had an open border with Mexico for several centuries, and "illegal immigration" was never a serious problem. Before Reagan's presidency, an estimated million or so people a year came into the US from Mexico - and the same number, more or less, left the US for Mexico at the end of the agricultural harvest season. Very few stayed, because there weren't jobs for them.

Non-citizens didn't have access to the non-agricultural US job market, in large part because of the power of US labor unions (before Reagan 25% of the workforce was unionized; today the private workforce is about 7% unionized), and because companies were unwilling to risk having non-tax-deductible labor expenses on their books by hiring undocumented workers without valid Social Security numbers.

But Reagan put an end to that. His 1986 amnesty program, combined with his aggressive war on organized labor (begun in 1981), in effect told both employers and non-citizens that there would be few penalties and many rewards to increasing the US labor pool (and thus driving down wages) with undocumented immigrants. A million people a year continued to come across our southern border, but they stopped returning to Latin America every fall because instead of seasonal work they were able to find permanent jobs.

Lou Dobbs, the most visible media champion of this issue, always starts his discussion of the issue with a basic syllogism - 1. Our border is porous. 2. People are coming across our porous border and diluting our labor markets, driving down US wages. 3. Therefore we must make the border less porous.

Lou's syllogism, however, ignores the real problem, the magnet drawing people to risk life and limb to illegally enter this country - Illegal Employers. Our borders have always been porous (and even with a "fence" will still allow through "tourists" by the millions), but we've never had a problem like this before.

Yet fifty years ago we didn't have an "illegal immigration" problem, because back then we didn't have a conservative "Illegal Employer" problem.

It was a good post till you said illegal employers were never mentioned in the press, if they were not mentioned how do we know about it????
That was a 2006 op ed. Back when we were anti illegals but you Neocons were not. Half of you got it but the corporatist ran your party and they swore they were just doing jobs Americans wouldn’t do.

Then came trump now the racist side of the Republican Party now runs the White House.

Not the senate of house. They are still corporatist. So are democrats. This is one issue I side with trump and the racist republicans.

I don’t care what color the immigrants are they are deluding our job market with low wage workers and that keeps wages down. Slow down immigration and fuck growth. Worry about middle class wages then growth next.

Most we're always anti ilegals, I know I was even in the 80s, it was supposed to be a one time deal with Regean

Chicken plants raided by ICE 'willfully and unlawfully' hired unauthorized workers: court documents

Handcuffed workers await transportation to a processing center following a raid by U.S. immigration officials at Koch Foods Inc., plant in Morton, Miss. U.S. immigration officials raided several Mississippi food processing plants on Wednesday and signaled that the early-morning strikes were part of a large-scale operation targeting owners as well as employees.

Morton, MISS is not a sanctuary city

Koch Foods is a food processor and distributor in Park Ridge, Illinois that is listed by Forbes Magazine as number 163 on the list of the largest private companies in the US. As of October 2014, the company had a revenue of $3 billion, and approximately 14,000 employees. The company is owned by Joseph Grendys.

Why isn't Joseph Grendys in jail?

Chicken plants raided by ICE 'willfully and unlawfully' hired unauthorized workers: court documents

Handcuffed workers await transportation to a processing center following a raid by U.S. immigration officials at Koch Foods Inc., plant in Morton, Miss. U.S. immigration officials raided several Mississippi food processing plants on Wednesday and signaled that the early-morning strikes were part of a large-scale operation targeting owners as well as employees.

Koch Foods is a food processor and distributor in Park Ridge, Illinois that is listed by Forbes Magazine as number 163 on the list of the largest private companies in the US. As of October 2014, the company had a revenue of $3 billion, and approximately 14,000 employees. The company is owned by Joseph Grendys.

Why would he be? He doesn't micro manage the place

Neither Party is without blame here. Between those that want cheap labor and those that are pandering for votes, immigration serves as the perfect wedge issue. Why solve a problem when it makes for great campaign fodder...

Republicans like to blame bleeding heart liberals for illegal immigration. But the fact is, if people weren't hiring them, they'd go home. Who's hiring them? Small business owners? Aren't they typically Republicans?

Here are three great articles on the subject:

ThomHartmann.com - Today's Immigration Battle Corporatists vs. Racists (and Labor is Left Behind)

ThomHartmann.com - Illegal Workers: the Con's Secret Weapon

ThomHartmann.com - Reclaiming the Issues: "It's an Illegal Employer Problem"
We need better solutions at lower cost. We should not be losing money on border policy.

Republicans like to blame bleeding heart liberals for illegal immigration. But the fact is, if people weren't hiring them, they'd go home. Who's hiring them? Small business owners? Aren't they typically Republicans?

ThomHartmann.com - Today's Immigration Battle Corporatists vs. Racists (and Labor is Left Behind)

We need better solutions at lower cost. We should not be losing money on border policy.
Do you only have like 10 stock phrases that you paste over and over again? You should seriously think about shutting the fuck up.

Give them a chance, Sealy. He needs a trial first.

Do you only have like 10 stock phrases that you paste over and over again? You should seriously think about shutting the fuck up.
LOL. I only need that many rebuttals for the right wing. that is how ignorant of the law and economics they really are. why not come up with a valid rebuttal instead of merely having nothing but fallacy while alleging to be more than merely, incredible.

LOL. I only need that many rebuttals for the right wing. that is how ignorant of the law and economics they really are. why not come up with a valid rebuttal instead of merely having nothing but fallacy while alleging to be more than merely, incredible.
Come up with something original first. And a real, coherent and relevant thought. Not your usual vague inane generalities.

Why would he be? He doesn't micro manage the place

Making excuses for your corporate masters. Nice. This problem will never be solved with idiots like you providing them with cover. Your outrage is misdirected.

Reclaiming the Issues: "It's an Illegal Employer Problem"

Wake up America. I don't expect you to but you really need to wake up. One of the ways they got richer and the middle class got poorer is that these illegal employers paid the government to stop enforcing the laws. Stop raiding their companies when we know they are hiring illegals. Trust me dummy, if ICE knew they had illegals working there, so did Mr. Koch.

I can't find the link but a few weeks ago I saw that the rich save billions of dollars hiring illegals. If that's true, then they are robbing the American middle class of billions of dollars. Just one of many ways/reasons the rich have gotten richer and the middle class poorer ever since Ronald Reagan.

As the Washington Post noted in an article by Hsu and Lydersen on June 19, 2006:

"Between 1999 and 2003, work-site enforcement operations were scaled back 95 percent by the Immigration and Naturalization Service, which subsequently was merged into the Homeland Security Department. The number of employers prosecuted for unlawfully employing immigrants dropped from 182 in 1999 to four in 2003, and fines collected declined from $3.6 million to $212,000, according to federal statistics.

"In 1999, the United States initiated fines against 417 companies. In 2004, it issued fine notices to three."

We wouldn't even need a wall if illegal employers would just stop hiring illegals. They don't have to though because since Reagan the government has told the corporations they won't do very much about it if they choose to hire illegals.

Oh sure Trump might raid a couple companies but are they going to punish the illegal employers? If not, then they are not scared of the risks. There are no risks then.

As the Washington Post noted in an article by Hsu and Lydersen on June 19, 2006:

"Between 1999 and 2003, work-site enforcement operations were scaled back 95 percent by the Immigration and Naturalization Service, which subsequently was merged into the Homeland Security Department. The number of employers prosecuted for unlawfully employing immigrants dropped from 182 in 1999 to four in 2003, and fines collected declined from $3.6 million to $212,000, according to federal statistics.

"In 1999, the United States initiated fines against 417 companies. In 2004, it issued fine notices to three."

That means Bill Clinton was doing his job and Bush stopped doing the job once he got into office.

As workplace raids multiply, Trump administration charges few companies

ICE has announced cases against five companies for immigration violations since 2017

The Trump administration has eagerly pursued arrests of undocumented immigrants over the last two years, culminating in a record-setting raid of Mississippi poultry plants this week. But the administration appears to have been far less aggressive in going after corporations involved in those cases.

Prosecuting corporations, as opposed to individual workers or managers, for immigration-related offenses was also relatively rare during the Obama administration, but it has slowed further under the Trump administration, according to a database maintained by Duke University and the University of Virginia and data reviewed by The Washington Post.

The Corporate Prosecution Registry tracks cases in which companies, rather than individuals, are charged with violating federal law, and it includes cases resolved with plea agreements as well as deferred and non-prosecution agreements.

There were at least 88 such cases against companies for immigration violations between 2009 and 2016 during the Obama administration and at least five companies prosecuted for immigration violations since Trump took office in 2017, according to the data on corporate prosecutions and a review of news releases from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

The Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse at Syracuse University examined federal data for a one-year period — April 2018 through March 2019 — and found that no companies were prosecuted for knowingly hiring undocumented workers. “Actual prosecution of employers for employing immigrants without proper documentation actually has been relatively rare,” the report states.

So lets do the math

Clinton 417
Bush 3
Obama 88
Trump 5

Come up with something original first. And a real, coherent and relevant thought. Not your usual vague inane generalities.
lol. i am not the one appealing to ignorance of express Constitutional law and claiming i am right simply because i am on the right wing.

lol. i am not the one appealing to ignorance of express Constitutional law and claiming i am right simply because i am on the right wing.
See ^^^^^^^^^^^ ? That's exactly what I mean. Your comment has a lot of English words, but they don't fit together in a coherent way.

We wouldn't even need a wall if illegal employers would just stop hiring illegals. They don't have to though because since Reagan the government has told the corporations they won't do very much about it if they choose to hire illegals.

Oh sure Trump might raid a couple companies but are they going to punish the illegal employers? If not, then they are not scared of the risks. There are no risks then.

That means Bill Clinton was doing his job and Bush stopped doing the job once he got into office.

As workplace raids multiply, Trump administration charges few companies

ICE has announced cases against five companies for immigration violations since 2017

The Trump administration has eagerly pursued arrests of undocumented immigrants over the last two years, culminating in a record-setting raid of Mississippi poultry plants this week. But the administration appears to have been far less aggressive in going after corporations involved in those cases.

Prosecuting corporations, as opposed to individual workers or managers, for immigration-related offenses was also relatively rare during the Obama administration, but it has slowed further under the Trump administration, according to a database maintained by Duke University and the University of Virginia and data reviewed by The Washington Post.

The Corporate Prosecution Registry tracks cases in which companies, rather than individuals, are charged with violating federal law, and it includes cases resolved with plea agreements as well as deferred and non-prosecution agreements.

There were at least 88 such cases against companies for immigration violations between 2009 and 2016 during the Obama administration and at least five companies prosecuted for immigration violations since Trump took office in 2017, according to the data on corporate prosecutions and a review of news releases from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

The Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse at Syracuse University examined federal data for a one-year period — April 2018 through March 2019 — and found that no companies were prosecuted for knowingly hiring undocumented workers. “Actual prosecution of employers for employing immigrants without proper documentation actually has been relatively rare,” the report states.

So lets do the math

Clinton 417
Bush 3
Obama 88
Trump 5

Ann Coulter Suggests Donald Trump Should Be Charged for Employing Undocumented Migrant Workers

See ^^^^^^^^^^^ ? That's exactly what I mean. Your comment has a lot of English words, but they don't fit together in a coherent way.
don't blame Me for Your inferiority in reading comprehension. dictionaries are even online now.

Neither Party is without blame here. Between those that want cheap labor and those that are pandering for votes, immigration serves as the perfect wedge issue. Why solve a problem when it makes for great campaign fodder...

Both parties are to blame BUT Trump is currently in charge right now.

Forum List

Back