If you’re white and you immigrate from Africa are you African-American?

I have a friend who was born in Nairobi. Manny is white, and his parents were zoologists and both citizens of Kenya. Manny moved to the States in 1985 at the age of 22. He came here legally and achieved his citizenship the right way.

He is, by every single measure, African-American, but you should see the puzzled looks on the faces of the black folks around here when he tells them he's African-American. Actually, their reaction to him is quite racist, as they believe that a person can't be African-American unless they're black.

I also have a buddy who lives in Tennessee. He's black, but he considers himself an American. He was born here, his parents were born here, and he simply insists there's no reason in the world for him to claim to be anything but American. He abhors the whole "African-American" bullshit...

If Colonel DeBeers had stayed in America after his career, instead of going back to the Union of South Africa, he would definitely be an African American.

Golfer Gary Player. Born in South Africa, naturalized U.S. citizen.

Wife of John Kerry (Teresa Heinz Kerry), born in Mozambique, Portuguese nationality, naturalized U.S. Citizen

Gary Anderson. Professional football kicker, born in S. Africa, naturalized U.S. citizen

None of them is "African American," as that term is commonly used.

But of course, neither is Barack Obama, since he is not descended from American slaves. Neither is Sen. K. Harris (D-CA), whose ancestry is Indian/Jamaican.

As with "racist" the term means exactly what Black people want it to mean. Don't look for logic or consistency.

I have a friend who was born in Nairobi. Manny is white, and his parents were zoologists and both citizens of Kenya. Manny moved to the States in 1985 at the age of 22. He came here legally and achieved his citizenship the right way.

He is, by every single measure, African-American, but you should see the puzzled looks on the faces of the black folks around here when he tells them he's African-American. Actually, their reaction to him is quite racist, as they believe that a person can't be African-American unless they're black.

I also have a buddy who lives in Tennessee. He's black, but he considers himself an American. He was born here, his parents were born here, and he simply insists there's no reason in the world for him to claim to be anything but American. He abhors the whole "African-American" bullshit...
Yep.

The truth is, if you have to put any kind of word before 'American', that usually means your a racist.

Yep.

The truth is, if you have to put any kind of word before 'American', that usually means your a racist.
Like South, Central or North American

Yep.

Like South, Central or North American
Sure, why not. After all, those words are so controversial these days.

You'd be called a White guy. Nobody would willingly associate themselves with Africa, only numb Blacks because they don't realize how awful it is there!

If your family roots and history are in France, and your family moved to Italy, then to the USA....do you say you are an Italian American when describing your family genealogy, or do you say you are a French American?

If your family roots and history are in France, and your family moved to Italy, then to the USA....do you say you are an Italian American when describing your family genealogy, or do you say you are a French American?
You say: I'm sure fucking glad to get out of europe with all their fucking arabs.

In general, in America, the first nationality mentioned is your genealogy...where your family blood originated.

I'm an Italian American on my mother's side, and am partially an Irish American, and British American and Scottish American and Dutch AmericN on my father's side....

My father's original great grandfather Times 6 ancestor in America was from England, and came here in 1690 with his wife and 5 sons....

So I usually just say my father's side is American, and my mother's side is Italian American.

When Africa was colonized by the Brits, French, and Italians.... You said, even if born in Africa, that you were British, French, or Italian.... not African.

Forum List

Back