If You Opposed The 2nd Amendment And Gun Rights....

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
1. The events of this week spotlight another, collateral, issue.
I have often posted my objections to the absurd rulings of an establishment that has been given far too much power, and far too much respect: the Supreme Court.

2. Everyone should be aware of this, especially those who want to deny citizens the right to bear arms:
"...a growing body of case law establishing that government agencies — including police agencies — have no duty to provide protection to citizens in general:
“Neither the Constitution, nor state law, impose a general duty upon police officers or other governmental officials to protect individual persons from harm — even when they know the harm will occur,”
said Darren L. Hutchinson, a professor and associate dean at the University of Florida School of Law. “Police can watch someone attack you, refuse to intervene and not violate the Constitution.”
The Supreme Court has repeatedly held that the government has only a duty to protect persons who are “in custody,” he pointed out."

mises.org

Police Have No Duty to Protect You, Federal Court Affirms Yet Again | Ryan McMaken
Following last February's shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, some students claimed local government officials were at fault for failing to provide protection to students. The students filed suit, naming six defendants, including the Broward school district and...
mises.org
mises.org

3. "... it is clear that most property owners and residents will have to fend for themselves where riots have taken place. In other words, any unfortunate shopkeeper or resident who finds himself in the path of the rioters ought to just assume that police won't be around to provide any protection from the mob.

4. Another man, who was working to open a sports bar in the area later this year, saw his bar destroyed. Needless to say, with only a few exceptions, the police weren't around to "protect and serve."

Admittedly, in cases like this week's riots, the police are heavily outnumbered and unable to provide any sort of general protection from rioters. Even if individual officers were engaging in heroic behavior to turn rioters away from potential victims, there would be little they could do to confront all offenders.

5. But heroics or not, the outcome for victims is the same: they must rely on self defense, formal private security, or private armed volunteers likely to be labeled as "vigilantes."

A failure to protect taxpaying citizens from violence and crime in a wide variety of situations is standard operating procedure for police departments which are under no legal obligation to protect anyone, and where "officer safety" is the number-one priority. The lesson to be learned here is that the alleged "social contract" between citizens and the state is a one-way street: you pay taxes for police "services," and the police may or may not give you anything in return."

1. The events of this week spotlight another, collateral, issue.
I have often posted my objections to the absurd rulings of an establishment that has been given far too much power, and far too much respect: the Supreme Court.

2. Everyone should be aware of this, especially those who want to deny citizens the right to bear arms:
"...a growing body of case law establishing that government agencies — including police agencies — have no duty to provide protection to citizens in general:
“Neither the Constitution, nor state law, impose a general duty upon police officers or other governmental officials to protect individual persons from harm — even when they know the harm will occur,”
said Darren L. Hutchinson, a professor and associate dean at the University of Florida School of Law. “Police can watch someone attack you, refuse to intervene and not violate the Constitution.”
The Supreme Court has repeatedly held that the government has only a duty to protect persons who are “in custody,” he pointed out."

mises.org

Police Have No Duty to Protect You, Federal Court Affirms Yet Again | Ryan McMaken
Following last February's shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, some students claimed local government officials were at fault for failing to provide protection to students. The students filed suit, naming six defendants, including the Broward school district and...
mises.org
mises.org

3. "... it is clear that most property owners and residents will have to fend for themselves where riots have taken place. In other words, any unfortunate shopkeeper or resident who finds himself in the path of the rioters ought to just assume that police won't be around to provide any protection from the mob.

4. Another man, who was working to open a sports bar in the area later this year, saw his bar destroyed. Needless to say, with only a few exceptions, the police weren't around to "protect and serve."

Admittedly, in cases like this week's riots, the police are heavily outnumbered and unable to provide any sort of general protection from rioters. Even if individual officers were engaging in heroic behavior to turn rioters away from potential victims, there would be little they could do to confront all offenders.

5. But heroics or not, the outcome for victims is the same: they must rely on self defense, formal private security, or private armed volunteers likely to be labeled as "vigilantes."

A failure to protect taxpaying citizens from violence and crime in a wide variety of situations is standard operating procedure for police departments which are under no legal obligation to protect anyone, and where "officer safety" is the number-one priority. The lesson to be learned here is that the alleged "social contract" between citizens and the state is a one-way street: you pay taxes for police "services," and the police may or may not give you anything in return."
Thanks for another fine post, PC. Nicely done.

"Police Are Not Obligated to Provide Protection
It is now a well-established legal principle in the United States that police officers and police departments are not legally responsible to refusing to intervene in cases where private citizens are in imminent danger or even in the process of being victimized.

The US Supreme Court has made it clear that law enforcement agencies are not required to provide protection to the citizens who are forced to pay for police services, year in and year out.

In cases of civil unrest, of course, be prepared to receive approximately nothing from police in terms of protecting property, or life and limb.

During the 2014 riots that followed the police killing of Michael Brown, for example, shopkeepers were forced to hire private security, and many had to rely on armed volunteers for protection from looters. "There's no police," one Ferguson shopkeeper told FoxNews at the time. "We trusted the police to keep it peaceful; they didn't do their job."

More famously, shopkeepers during the Los Angeles riots defended their shops with private firearms:

"Where are the police? Where are the police?" [shopkeeper Chang] Lee whispered over and over from his rooftop perch. Lee would not see law enforcement for three days -- only fellow Korean-Americans, who would be photographed by news agencies looking like armed militia..."

I recall the lockdown protest. "Heavily Armed Mobs" show up in state capitals, no significant arrests, no fires, no looting.

"Unarmed" bed wetters "protest" and there are people being killed, cops being shot, cars burning, businesses set on fire and destroyed....

I think I prefer it when people who aren't bed wetting communists are protesting.

Just sayin...

I recall the lockdown protest. "Heavily Armed Mobs" show up in state capitals, no significant arrests, no fires, no looting.

"Unarmed" bed wetters "protest" and there are people being killed, cops being shot, cars burning, businesses set on fire and destroyed....

If the bedwetters are unarmed, who's doing the shooting?

We aren't against the 2nd amendment. But we are against the fruitcake interpretation of it that some have.
The 2nd amendment is a right, but like all rights, there are limits. The right to bear arms doesn't extend to small tactical nuclear weapons.

We aren't against the 2nd amendment. But we are against the fruitcake interpretation of it that some have.
The 2nd amendment is a right, but like all rights, there are limits. The right to bear arms doesn't extend to small tactical nuclear weapons.

Now I see why they call you Einstein.

Then where do you draw the line at what weapons the government can keep out of peoples hands. Current BATF put it at anything over .50 cal is a destructive dervice, with a 12 gauge shotgun exception.

That's why I said "unarmed". The quotation marks are supposed to add context.

When the handful of bed wetters who aren't complete sniveling soy boy hoplophobes do start shooting on a significant level, the backlash will be chilling. There are plenty of moonbats with AK's and other weapons, some with military training that are drooling at the prospect of an armed revolution.

I personally can't wait till they try it.

They're only still stealing oxygen because the rest of us are good guys, and we wait for green lights.

How about gattling guns? The GAU-8 comes to mind for obvious reaons. But they have a "mini-gun" like Schwarzenegger fired in the "terminator" movies.
I'm sure it's suitable for hunting or other sporting purposes.

Then where do you draw the line at what weapons the government can keep out of peoples hands. Current BATF put it at anything over .50 cal is a destructive dervice, with a 12 gauge shotgun exception.

"...device..."

What does this have to do with anything in the thread?
You don’t seem capable of the sort of thought processes one should expect in an upright biped hominid.

That's why I said "unarmed". The quotation marks are supposed to add context.

When the handful of bed wetters who aren't complete sniveling soy boy hoplophobes do start shooting on a significant level, the backlash will be chilling. There are plenty of moonbats with AK's and other weapons, some with military training that are drooling at the prospect of an armed revolution.

I personally can't wait till they try it.

They're only still stealing oxygen because the rest of us are good guys, and we wait for green lights.

When two people both stand their ground, both can shoot in self defense. And then it becomes a matter of not coming in second.

"...device..."

What does this have to do with anything in the thread?
You don’t seem capable of the sort of thought processes one should expect in an upright biped hominid.

What good is the right to protect yourself, without answering the question, "With what?" can you do it.

If i'm going to protect myself, I want to have more stopping power than the person i'm protecting myself from. I don't believe in a fair fight. But that creates the problem that an armed intruder doesn't either.

Forum List

Back