If WW3 starts, will the draft come back?

If WWIII starts with tactical nuclear weapons and things get out of hand there will be no draft. Not enough young men will be alive and it will be impossible to contact, transport and supply enough to make a difference.

Mindless Media Meme

This silly talk about WWIII being nuclear exchanges violates common sense. As in the movie Red Dawn, the two sides will agree to not engage in mutually assured destruction.

As in the movie Red Dawn, the two sides will agree to not engage in mutually assured destruction.

Maybe you need to go back and watch the movie again.

Col. Andy Tanner: [Describing the invasion] West Coast. East Coast. Down here is Mexico. First wave of the Soviet attack came in disguised as commercial charter flights the same way they did in Afghanistan in January 1980. Only they were crack Airborne outfits. Now, they took these mountain passes in the Rockies.
Jed Eckert: So, that's what hit Calumet?
Col. Andy Tanner: I guess so. They coordinated with selective nuke strikes and the missiles were a hell of a lot more accurate than we thought. They took out the silos here in the Dakotas, key points of communication.
Darryl Bates: Like what?
Col. Andy Tanner: Oh, like Omaha, Washington, Kansas City.
Darryl Bates: Gone?
Col. Andy Tanner: Yeah. That's right. Infiltrators came up illegal from Mexico. Cubans mostly. They managed to infiltrate SAC bases in the Midwest, several down in Texas and wreaked a helluva lot of havoc, I'm here to tell you. They opened up the door down here, and the whole Cuban and Nicaraguan and Latin American armies come walking right through, rolled right up here through the Great Plains.
Robert: How far did they get?
Col. Andy Tanner: Cheyenne, Wyoming... . across to Kansas. We held them at the Rockies and the Mississippi. Anyway, the Russians reinforced with 60 divisions. Sent three whole army groups across the Bering Strait into Alaska, cut the pipeline, came across Canada to link up here in the middle, but we stopped their butt cold. The lines have pretty much stabilized now.
Robert: What about Europe?
Col. Andy Tanner: I guess they figured twice in one century was enough. They're sitting this one out. All except England, and they won't last very long.

Col. Andy Tanner: The Russians need to take us in one piece, and that's why they're here. That's why they won't use nukes anymore; and we won't either, not on our own soil. The whole damn thing's pretty conventional now. Who knows? Maybe next week will be swords.
Darryl Bates: What started it?
Col. Andy Tanner: I don't know. Two toughest kids on the block, I guess. Sooner or later, they're gonna fight.
Jed Eckert: That simple, is it?
Col. Andy Tanner: Or maybe somebody just forget what it was like.
Jed Eckert: Well... . who is on our side?
Col. Andy Tanner: Six hundred million screaming Chinamen.
Darryl Bates: Last I heard, there were a billion screaming Chinamen.
Col. Andy Tanner: There were... .
[he throws whiskey on the fire; it ignites violently, suggesting a nuclear explosion]

If you actually paid attention to the movie, there were some huge nuclear exchanges. They were simply not shown because they were not part of the story itself. Which is why Powers Boothe was telling them what they had missed while they were up in the mountains.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Mindless Media Meme

This silly talk about WWIII being nuclear exchanges violates common sense. As in the movie Red Dawn, the two sides will agree to not engage in mutually assured destruction.
You make the assumptions that all involved are sane and not driven by religious extremism. That is a basic requirement for MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction) to work.

There have been rumors that Putin is mentally ill. The Iranian religious leadership believes in the return of a Twelfth Imam and starting a world war might hasten his arrival. I am not totally sure mentally stable people are now in control of the worlds nuclear weapons at this time. I haven’t even mentioned Rocket Man in North Korea. India and Pakistan are ancient enemies with nuclear weapons. A nuclear war between those two nations could cause world wide climate change.

No, I am not signing up and I will not be drafted.
May I suggest you pick out a bag of your choosing?

I served 23 years active and reserve. I also volunteered my free time for 11 more and worked for the US Army for 4 years. I don't think you can beat me on service. How about you?

Our military has fewer “grunt” positions that can be filled with anyone off the street.
We don’t have the menial labor we did when we had a draft
Most MOSs require lengthy training and motivated personnel
Weapons systems are more complex

We don’t need a draft or want one
/---/ And yet other countries have the draft and/or mandatory military service. So there must still be a need.
Countries with Mandatory Military Service:
Algeria — 12 months for males aged 19-30
Angola — 24 months for males aged 20-45
Argentina — De jure - Conscription suspended, but government is authorized to reinstate if necessary
Armenia — 24 months for males aged 18-27
Austria — 6-9 months for males aged 18-50
Azerbaijan — 12-18 months for men aged 18-25
Belarus — 12-36 months for men aged 18-27
Belize — De jure - Conscription legal, but has never been needed
Benin — 18 months selective compulsory for males and females aged 18-35
Bhutan — Training required for males aged 20-25, but full enlistment is voluntary
Bolivia — 12-24 months for males aged 18-22
Brazil — 10-12 months for males aged 18-45, but only 5-10% are actually required to serve
Cambodia — 18 months for males aged 18-30
Cape Verde/Cabo Verde — 24 months selective compulsory for males and females aged 18-35
Chad — 36 months for males age 20, 12 months for females age 21 (females can opt for civic service)
Chile — 12-22 months selective compulsory service for males 18-45, but conscription is rarely needed
China — De jure - Conscription of males aged 18-22 for 24 months service is legal but has never been needed
Colombia — 18 months for males aged 18-24
Congo (Democratic Republic of) — Conscription of citizens aged 18-45 is legal, but degree of usage is unclear
Cuba — 24 months for males aged 17-28
Cyprus — 14 months in National Guard for males aged 18-50
Denmark — 4-12 months training for men at age 18, eligible for active conscription until age 50
Egypt — 18-36 months plus 9 years reserve for males aged 18-30
El Salvador — 11-12 months selective compulsory for males at age 18
Equatorial Guinea — 24 months selective compulsory for citizens at age 18
Eritrea — 18 months for males and females aged 18-40 - service obligation may be extended indefinitely
Estonia — 8-11 months for males aged 18-27
Ethiopia — De jure - No ongoing conscription, but military has authority to conduct compulsory draft if necessary
Finland — 6-12 months for males at age 18, reserves until age 60
Georgia — 12 months for males aged 18-27
Greece — 9-12 months for males aged 19-45
Guatemala — 12-24 months selective conscription service for males aged 17-21, though conscription is rare in practice
Guinea-Bissau — 24 months selective compulsory for males and females aged 18-25
Indonesia — De jure - Selective conscription of 18-24 months service for males at age 18 is authorized, but not currently utilized
Iran — 18-24 months for males at age 18
Israel — 24-48 months (9 years for pilots) for males and females at age 18
Ivory Coast/Cote d'Ivoire — De jure - Selective conscription of males and females aged 18-25 is authorized, but not currently utilized
Jordan — 12 months for unemployed males aged 25-29
Kazakhstan — 12-24 months for males aged 18-27 - may be abolished soon
Kuwait — 12 months for males aged 18-35
Kyrgyzstan — 9-12 months for males aged 18-27
Laos — 18 months for males at age 18
Lithuania — 9 months for males aged 19-26
Mali — 24 months selective compulsory for men and women at age 18
Mexico — 12 months for lottery-selected males at age 18, eligible as reserves until 40
Moldova — 12 months for males aged 18-27 - may be abolished soon
Mongolia — 12-24 months for males aged 18-27, eligible as reserves until 45
Morocco — 12 months for males and females at age 19
Mozambique — 24 months selective compulsory for males and females aged 18-35
Myanmar(Burma) — De jure - Law reauthorizing conscription passed in 2010, but hasn't gone into effect
Niger — 24 months selective compulsory for unmarried males and females at age 18
North Korea — 10 years for males and 5 years for females at age 17
Norway — 19 months (12 months plus 4-5 refreshers) for males and females aged 19-35. However, more than 80% are released from service.
Paraguay — 12-24 months for males at age 18
Portugal — De jure - Conscription is legally authorized, but not currently utilized
Qatar — 4-12 months for males aged 18-35
Russia — 12 months for males aged 18-27, reserves to age 50. May end conscription in near future.
San Marino — De jure - No organized conscription, but military can draft citizens aged 16-60 to serve if need arises
Sao Tome and Principe — (Limited information) De jure - Conscription authorized for citizens at age 18, but is apparently unenforced
Senegal — 24 months selective compulsory service for males and possibly females at age 20
Singapore — 24 months for males aged 18-21, reserves to age 40 (enlisted) or 50 (officers)
Slovakia — De jure - Conscription in peacetime suspended in 2004, but could be reinstated in event of war
Somalia — De jure - Conscription of males aged 18-40 and females aged 18-30 is authorized, but not currently utilized
South Korea — 21-24 months for males aged 18-28 (scheduled to decrease to 18-22 months sometime in 2022)
South Sudan — 12-24 months at age 18
Spain — De jure - Conscription abolished in 2001, but government can draft citizens aged 19-25 in case of national emergency
Sudan — 12-24 months for males and females aged 18-33
Sweden — 7.5-15 months for males and females at age 18, eligible as reserves until age 47; however, only a portion of those who register are selected for service
Switzerland — 245 days (18 weeks training + six 19-day recalls) for males aged 18-30
Syria — 18 months for males aged 18-42
Taiwan — 4 months for males aged 18-36 plus up to four 20-day training recalls
Tajikistan — 24 months for males aged 18-27, an exemption can be purchased.
Tanzania — (Limited information) No military conscription, but selective conscription for 24 months public service is authorized. Current enforcement levels are unclear.
Thailand — 24 months for lottery-chosen males at age 21
Timor Leste — (Limited information) Conscription authorized for males and females aged 18-30 for 18 months of service, but current level of implementation is unclear
Tunisia — 12 months for ages 20-35
Turkey — 6-12 months for males at age 20, an exemption can be purchased after 1 month of training
Turkmenistan — 24-30 months for males aged 18-30
Ukraine — 12-24 months for ages 20-27 - may be abolished soon
United Arab Emirates — 16-24 months for males aged 18-30
United States — De jure - The United States military has been all-volunteer since 1973. But an act of Congress could still reinstate the draft in case of a national emergency.
Uruguay — De jure - Conscription currently inactive, but government is authorized to activate conscription in case of national emergency
Uzbekistan — 12 months for males aged 18-27, shortened (1-month) term can be purchased, though purchaser will remain as reserve until age 27
Venezuela — Forcible recruitment forbidden, but citizens aged 18-50 must register for possible 12 months military training and service. Those who cannot demonstrate compliance forfeit significant government benefits
Vietnam — 24-36 months for males aged 18-27 (females eligible, but are not drafted)

Our military has fewer “grunt” positions that can be filled with anyone off the street.
We don’t have the menial labor we did when we had a draft
Most MOSs require lengthy training and motivated personnel
Weapons systems are more complex

Wow, so much wrong in such a short post.

What exactly are those "grunt positions" you are talking about?

And we don't have as much menial labor? Oh my goodness, somebody must have forgot to pass down that memo. There is just as much of that if not more today.

No, most MOS do not require lengthy training. In most cases it is done in a month or less. The same amount of time used to train an Infantryman can train most other jobs in the military.

And no, the weapon systems are really not any more complex. But please tell me, exactly what is more complex, and compared to when?

You are damned good at throwing out those generalities, but never in actually explaining anything. How about some actual examples?

Wow, so much wrong in such a short post.

What exactly are those "grunt positions" you are talking about?

And we don't have as much menial labor? Oh my goodness, somebody must have forgot to pass down that memo. There is just as much of that if not more today.

No, most MOS do not require lengthy training. In most cases it is done in a month or less. The same amount of time used to train an Infantryman can train most other jobs in the military.

And no, the weapon systems are really not any more complex. But please tell me, exactly what is more complex, and compared to when?

You are damned good at throwing out those generalities, but never in actually explaining anything. How about some actual examples?

WWII, Vietnam, Korea many of the draftees were in menial positions, loading unloading vehicles, digging trenches, logistics related functions.

Whether you are willing to admit it or not, we function with fewer troops than when we had a draft.
Many of the MOSs are much more complex and even the basic Infantryman has to have more complex skills

So did the Romans. So did the British. I would argue that the Soviets were the equal of the US for most of the Cold War.

So your point is what, exactly?
The Soviets were proven to be a Paper Tiger. Nowhere near the threat our military made them out to be.
The Roman’s and the British had nowhere near the global alliances the US does.

My point is that our military has evolved to the point we don’t need as many personnel as we did 50 years ago.
We are also much more lethal.

Forum List

Back