If MLK were alive today the rightwingers would call his a race hustler

And lets stop pretending that MLK would be against Affirmative Action. He also recognized that the playing field between whites and blacks were not the same field. He also said "It’s all right to tell a man to lift himself by his own bootstraps, but it is cruel jest to say to a bootless man that he ought to lift himself by his own bootstraps."

He was talking about the lack of opportunity that blacks have in the free market. So stop pretending

Wrong. He was talking about the lack of opportunity that blacks had in the free market. So stop pretending.

If you think I meant MLK was alive today I could understand your confusion. But the point is the same.
Sorry. Didn't know you were playing "Let's pretend everything was still like the Sixties".

And lets stop pretending that MLK would be against Affirmative Action. He also recognized that the playing field between whites and blacks were not the same field. He also said "It’s all right to tell a man to lift himself by his own bootstraps, but it is cruel jest to say to a bootless man that he ought to lift himself by his own bootstraps."

He was talking about the lack of opportunity that blacks have in the free market. So stop pretending

Affirmative action was a necessary evil in post Civil Rights America

You could pass laws that blacks have equal rights and opportunity but the next step would have been for employers to say..." I don't care...I will find an excuse not to hire blacks"

Affirmative action meant that if you wanted to get government contracts you had to meet certain demographic objectives.

Affirmative action was a necessary evil in post Civil Rights America

You could pass laws that blacks have equal rights and opportunity but the next step would have been for employers to say..." I don't care...I will find an excuse not to hire blacks"

Affirmative action meant that if you wanted to get government contracts you had to meet certain demographic objectives.

I'm going to say I disagree that it was necessary. The one industry in which there wasn't racism was sports. Specifically college sports. Funny how that is also the most racially diverse industry in the world. I think that Affirmative action attacked the problem in exactly the wrong way, and here is why.

If you wanted a government contract and wanted to meet the quota but you didn't like a specific minority, you went out and hired your token (fill in the minority). Qualification wasn't important because you hired whoever came in first. That is a discredit to the (insert minority) guy that went to college or improved himself to the point that he was worthy of a job. You may or may not have hired him. You might have just hired the worst guy out there, you didn't know. What happens next, because you believe (insert minority plural here) to be inferior or unworthy is the bum that you hired only confirms your suspicion about (insert minority plural here).

On top of that, who the hell are we to tell a business owner that they must hire anyone, race, sex, creed, or whatever? That's not going to fix the problem. Why not just mandate that every (insert privileged group) be friends with (insert minority)? It was a "quick" solution, that judging by the the statistics, hasn't really increased the standard of living of minorities.

Its not popular to say because affirmative action was so popular but I believe it was an utter failure.

Mike

Wrong. He was talking about the lack of opportunity that blacks had in the free market. So stop pretending.

If you think I meant MLK was alive today I could understand your confusion. But the point is the same.
Sorry. Didn't know you were playing "Let's pretend everything was still like the Sixties".

No I was playing "what was MLK talking about". Seriously, If the only gripe you have with my post is have vs had then I'm doing pretty good. MLK wouldn't be against affirmative action, he saw the need to balance the playing field

Last edited:
Let's not forget either that ALL minorities benefit from affirmative action mostly Asians. You never hear about anyone attacking them for affirmative action tho. Weird huh?

Jackson and Sharpton do a lot of things that King did in the civil rights movement, maybe not 100% but nevertheless they did some very similar things. Today, any African Americans who stands up against racism against minorities and doesn't fall within the rightwing spectrum politically is called a race hustler. When Larry Elder makes a book called "Stupid Black Men and how to play the race card" the rightwingers don't see that as "race hustling" since Elder is a black rightwinger, if Jackson or Sharpton criticizes racism they're race hustlers. King, with his record of fighting against racism would be called a race hustler by today's rightwingers.

Far from the truth it would be brother like you calling him an Uncle Tom!

No I was playing "what was MLK talking about". Seriously, If the only gripe you have with my post is have vs had then I'm doing pretty good. MLK wouldn't be against affirmative action, he saw the need to balance the playing field
And you can say this...how, exactly? This is NOT the Sixties.

No, it's 2011 but what's your point? We aren't in the same decade?

If MLK WAS alive... He would be an old irrelevant man. 82. Now, I respect that.…BUT in this day and time, he would have been FORGOTTEN. A footnote. No statues, and this thread wouldn't be here. I had a dream, too. Nobody cares. I dreamt of meeting MLK, I was in awe. Truly. But, racism , racism isn’t dead. MLK IS dead. Dead as nails, let’s worry about the living. Blacks hate on ME all the time. I am not looking for heroes to save me.

Last edited:

Do you think the nation is in the same condition it was fifty years ago?

I don't.

"Get out of Afghanistan." "Get out of Iraq." "44th in the world for infant mortality: WTF?"

I doubt it.

44th in the world because we actually keep statistics. Babies who die out in the desert and are left for the jackals don't get counted.

Why is it that libs can't ever use real data? Ever? There's the baby thing..and then there's the op. Let's resurrect a dead leader, plop him in a fake scenario, and pretend that our political adversaries would react in a heinous way to it.

Use some real information once in your lives, please. Make a point with a *gasp* FACT. Try dealing in reality.

Oh wait, then you'd be right wing. My bad.

This thread is proving again and again that many people don't know jack about MLK, its all good. I even posted quotes of his that people seem to just ignore which show that he did and would support affirmative action type programs and with the problems in black America today he still would be very active and involved with fighting injustice, there's no way he would be sitting down saying the fight is over.

Do you think the nation is in the same condition it was fifty years ago?

I don't.

In 1960 was the nation the same way it was 50 years before then? No, but using your logic we can say that the Civil Rights Movement of the 60s were irrelevant because the nation in 1960 wasn't the same way it was in 1910. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Let's not forget either that ALL minorities benefit from affirmative action mostly Asians. You never hear about anyone attacking them for affirmative action tho. Weird huh?

Bullshit. You hear it all the time. Especially in business and education.
Benefit? A matter of reflection clarity. On the surface - sure. but like I said - dependence removes one shackle while placing on another.
It is grossly unfair that better qualified candidates are turned down purely because they are not a certain race...hmm....sound familiar?

Bullshit. You hear it all the time. Especially in business and education.
Benefit? A matter of reflection clarity. On the surface - sure. but like I said - dependence removes one shackle while placing on another.
It is grossly unfair that better qualified candidates are turned down purely because they are not a certain race...hmm....sound familiar?

You have nothing to support that bullshit you are talking

"Get out of Afghanistan." "Get out of Iraq." "44th in the world for infant mortality: WTF?"

I doubt it.

44th in the world because we actually keep statistics. Babies who die out in the desert and are left for the jackals don't get counted.

Why is it that libs can't ever use real data? Ever? There's the baby thing..and then there's the op. Let's resurrect a dead leader, plop him in a fake scenario, and pretend that our political adversaries would react in a heinous way to it.

Use some real information once in your lives, please. Make a point with a *gasp* FACT. Try dealing in reality.

Oh wait, then you'd be right wing. My bad.

The funny thing is that you never stated one fact but demand facts from others. 44th in the world is a fact.

Forum List

Back