If I Shake my Fist at the Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not if I'm still here this many years after.

It could just mean that God is under no obligation to obey you.

Could be.

Could also mean He's impotent.

:eusa_think: I'm staying with fictitious.

Especially with the mouthpiece I've become here in the Internet Age. :eek:

One strategic bolt of lightning in the lightning capital of the planet and The God of Abraham would score media points with USMB regulars at the very least.

:dunno:

If I shake my fist at the sky and declare to God that I am impressed with neither his presence nor his proofs to date and I challenge the aforementioned God to kill me now or forever be regarded and described by me as fictitious, does that prove anything?

:eusa_think:

Well, it could mean a couple of things:
1. You can shake your fist.

2. "May God strike me down if [whatever] ... ." is not a new challenge. God rarely responds.

3. You should perhaps consider that God doth have a sense of humor ... and He might even have a Heavenly Taser that could give you a jolt but not kill you.

I've considered that over the years and I'll be darned if the opposite isn't true.

I'm one of the luckiest little bastards to be living a life.

Life continues to be a sweet ride in spite of my religious changes of heart over the years.

So God doesn't exist to you because He isn't Santa, and you didn't get what you asked for......
Therefore you traded an eternity of being co-heir of the universe and beyond, and all the perks that go with it, for a vapor of sweet rides. Ride hard lucky, the end of the road is dead ahead. :(

"He shakes his fists against the post and still insists he's seen the ghost". Can you say it three times? It's just as relevant as the rants of the average agnostic fat and happy Joe until he gets in a tight situation and asks God for help. Believe what you want to believe. It's the beauty of living in the greatest Country in the world.

I don't know about the rest of y'all, but I like the sound of my own voice.

Obviously.

protip: Carrying your proposition through would reveal a whole lot more about you than it could ever reveal about God. Even if you died of cardiac arrest the instant you shook your fist, I'm sure you realize your buddies would blow it off as anything but God.

I don't think I got an answer from the last person I asked. Maybe you would care to try.

1. Please explain as succinctly as possible what personal event you would require, in order to believe beyond any doubt, that a Creator exists.
2. Keep it as realistic as possible. In other words, demanding a million people assemble together with you and you all witness the same event, will be taken as "I don't want to believe, and nothing will convince me, period." Keep your demands personal. What would you have to experience personally?

Last edited:
If I shake my fist at the sky and declare to God that I am impressed with neither his presence nor his proofs to date and I challenge the aforementioned God to kill me now or forever be regarded and described by me as fictitious, does that prove anything?

Yes.

It proves he probably giggled @ Joe shaking his fist at him.
:eusa_whistle:

Sense of humor...Granny snagged it!

Last edited:
I don't think it proves anything other than, perhaps, that you are concerned over whether or not there is a god. If there is a god, this being may be just ignoring you for any number of reasons, possibly for being so silly or for seeking such a silly way to try to prove it's existence or non-existence. If there is no god or divine being, such an act on your part doesn't prove it one way or another. You truly need verifiable, concrete, physical evidence to prove something as a fact. If you did shake your fist at the sky and order 'God' to strike you dead if he exists, and you don't die, that means nothing as I stated above. If you do suddenly die, it could be for any number of reasons that are pure coincidence. Bottom line, you cannot prove God exists, or anything else exists, w/o concrete, empirical evidence.

Last edited:
It proves you're an idiot.

But that won't surprise anyone..except, maybe, you. Or maybe you already know.

So God doesn't exist to you because He isn't Santa, and you didn't get what you asked for......
Therefore you traded an eternity of being co-heir of the universe and beyond, and all the perks that go with it, for a vapor of sweet rides. Ride hard lucky, the end of the road is dead ahead. :(

No Ram. God doesn't exist to me because He's failed to prove otherwise. Shaking my fist and challenging Him was just the final step.

As far as what lay on the other side of life goes, faith is the ONLY method for determining what to believe. It's called The Great Unknown for a reason.

I'll take faith in my own eyes and mind over the eyes and minds of the ancient storytellers when it comes to guessing at what happens at death.

"He shakes his fists against the post and still insists he's seen the ghost". Can you say it three times? It's just as relevant as the rants of the average agnostic fat and happy Joe until he gets in a tight situation and asks God for help.
Believe what you want to believe. It's the beauty of living in the greatest Country in the world.

:clap2:

I don't know about the rest of y'all, but I like the sound of my own voice.

Obviously.

protip: Carrying your proposition through would reveal a whole lot more about you than it could ever reveal about God. Even if you died of cardiac arrest the instant you shook your fist, I'm sure you realize your buddies would blow it off as anything but God.

I don't think I got an answer from the last person I asked. Maybe you would care to try.

1. Please explain as succinctly as possible what personal event you would require, in order to believe beyond any doubt, that a Creator exists.
2. Keep it as realistic as possible. In other words, demanding a million people assemble together with you and you all witness the same event, will be taken as "I don't want to believe, and nothing will convince me, period." Keep your demands personal. What would you have to experience personally?

Proof.

Hell, technically I wouldn't even need 'proof'. If I saw enough evidence that I could make a rational decision for God, I would in a minute... truth be told I kind of miss God in my life. But not enough to compromise my intellect concerning the ancient stories and their origins.

Notice how I focused on me, myself and I? It's all about deciding this shit for oneself in the privacy of your own mind. They can take everything but your attitude.

I would have to answer no, it doesn't prove anything.

If we were all sitting on a beach on a Greek island a few thousand years ago, you might have asked that same question. However, your declaration to the gods would have been directed at Zeus and his unionized gods.

I suspect your question has been asked by people throughout human history. They just directed the question at whatever configuration of god(s) were a part of their culture.

If God did kill you now, you still wouldn't have proof that he exists because you won't have any remembrance of living in this first age.

Isaiah 65
16: So that he who blesses himself in the land shall bless himself by the God of truth, and he who takes an oath in the land shall swear by the God of truth; because the former troubles are forgotten and are hid from my eyes.
17: "For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth; and the former things shall not be remembered or come into mind.
18: But be glad and rejoice for ever in that which I create; for behold, I create Jerusalem a rejoicing, and her people a joy.
19: I will rejoice in Jerusalem, and be glad in my people; no more shall be heard in it the sound of weeping and the cry of distress.

I don't think it proves anything other than, perhaps, that you are concerned over whether or not there is a god. If there is a god, this being may be just ignoring you for any number of reasons, possibly for being so silly or for seeking such a silly way to try to prove it's existence or non-existence. If there is no god or divine being, such an act on your part doesn't prove it one way or another. You truly need verifiable, concrete, physical evidence to prove something as a fact. If you did shake your fist at the sky and order 'God' to strike you dead if he exists, and you don't die, that means nothing as I stated above. If you do suddenly die, it could be for any number of reasons that are pure coincidence. Bottom line, you cannot prove God exists, or anything else exists, w/o concrete, empirical evidence.

:) The thesis of the thread is that my actions proved something to me.

What is religion if not a decision we each get to make in the privacy of our own minds?

:dunno:

I would have to answer no, it doesn't prove anything.

If we were all sitting on a beach on a Greek island a few thousand years ago, you might have asked that same question. However, your declaration to the gods would have been directed at Zeus and his unionized gods.

I suspect your question has been asked by people throughout human history. They just directed the question at whatever configuration of god(s) were a part of their culture.

:clap2:

I certainly hope so!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back