If gun background checks are so important....why won't anti-gun enthusiasts support free phone app?

Arrest records are public information.

Arrest records would be a good start point…but that is why this is here in the debate zone…….

It could be just a simple red light green light without detail…..if there is a criminal record then you would know and refuse the sale based on a red light on the app…that would cut out some of the concern over revealing to much info to strangers….

So if there is a mental health reason, all is good?

I suppose it's all moot as I don't own a gun to sell but I have no desire to question the Constitutional Rights of others.
IIRC but the NCIS is a big system. for FFLs I think it just says yes, no or wait and then gives you a code. But I am not sure and will bow to others with knowledge.

I'd be a little concerned about having to divulge identifying information to a stranger who might be buying a gun for a few hundred bucks in return for stealing your identity, but I like the concept.
States could put a QR code on your drivers license that could activate a simple thumbs up or down from the app with no access to personal info by other parties.

IIRC but the NCIS is a big system. for FFLs I think it just says yes, no or wait and then gives you a code. But I am not sure and will bow to others with knowledge.

You are willing to give your personal information to a stranger?

You are willing to give your personal information to a stranger?
? Have you never bought a firearm? This is not a criticism but a question.
This is the standard form you fill out.

Do whatever you want in Scotland. We are talking about the US where we have a second amendment. Next you'll want to register my knives, then shovels, baseball bats, pressure cookers--where would it end?
Fucking hell, have you got a 2nd Amendment, gosh, why didn't you guys let on sooner?

I think you guys register cars, and when you want to fly you register for a passport, and you register to vote, and you personally register as a bell end.

Sarcasm off, you gun nuts say 2nd Amendment 23 billion times a day, WE FUCKING KNOW

What good would that do?
A number of reasons. It helps to date the gun, so when you come to buy and sell, it helps to value it, basically so you don't get ripped off.

Crime. A recovered gun in a crime helps to trace it back to the source. So if it was originally stolen from a property, it links the crimes. Also, it indicates previous owners that may have been implicated in the crime.

It also indicates provence of a gun, so you can check the database to make sure you're not buying a stolen gun. Buying a stolen gun can get you into trouble, so it's in your best interest to check.

Recover of firearm. If your gun was stolen due to a break in (gosh, they do happen), if it's recovered at a later date, it can be returned to it's legal owner.

My insurance company wanted serial numbers to give me cover.

I'm sure there's more reasons, those are off the top of my head.

All this sensibility may seem alien to you.

Fucking hell, have you got a 2nd Amendment, gosh, why didn't you guys let on sooner?

I think you guys register cars, and when you want to fly you register for a passport, and you register to vote, and you personally register as a bell end.

Sarcasm off, you gun nuts say 2nd Amendment 23 billion times a day, WE FUCKING KNOW

Registration ends in confiscation....thats how your country did it

? Have you never bought a firearm? This is not a criticism but a question.
This is the standard form you fill out.

Yes. I'd never buy one where I have to fill out a form.

But we are talking about some individual that listed an item for sale. Not a business.

I think you guys register cars,
Driving a car is a privilege. Gun ownership is a right. BTW, if I don't drive a car on a public thoroughfare, there is no law that requires me to register it.
when you want to fly you register for a passport
You are mistaken. There is NO requirement to have a passport in order to fly. You must have proof of WHO you are--a birth certificate will suffice. Flying is also not a right. The ability to travel at will is a right which is not infringed by flight security.
It helps to date the gun, so when you come to buy and sell, it helps to value it, basically so you don't get ripped off.
The quality and condition of a gun is not predicated on its age. It depends on its use. Caveat Emptor.
Crime. A recovered gun in a crime helps to trace it back to the source. So if it was originally stolen from a property, it links the crimes. Also, it indicates previous owners that may have been implicated in the crime.
Ballistics information is collected and maintained on any weapon sold in the US before first sale.
It also indicates provence of a gun, so you can check the database to make sure you're not buying a stolen gun.
Buying stolen goods is a crime, whether it is a gun, a shovel or a broom. Do you register the other two?
My insurance company wanted serial numbers to give me cover.
It takes a special rider on an insurance policy to cover firearms--usually resulting in higher liability premiums as well
All this sensibility may seem alien to you.
As my responses have clearly shown, there is nothing sensible about you assertions. By the way, do you identify with a "bell end?"

You're correct .. if the sale is permitted, then the FFL will receive a "proceed" with a unique identifier (code), meaning the sale can proceed. You can also receive a delayed response, which means the sale cannot continue until a "proceed" is issued (which is also issued if no determination is made after 3 business days); Otherwise, a "denied" is issued and the sale cannot proceed.

You're correct .. if the sale is permitted, then the FFL will receive a "proceed" with a unique identifier (code), meaning the sale can proceed. You can also receive a delayed response, which means the sale cannot continue until a "proceed" is issued (which is also issued if no determination is made after 3 business days); Otherwise, a "denied" is issued and the sale cannot proceed.
Not exactly correct. In WA, if a denial is NOT received by the tenth day, then the retailer is legal to release the weapon.

The 3-day period is required under federal law, and some states have implemented additional waiting periods and / or background check requirements that are applicable within their jurisdiction.
I was not aware there was a federal standard--three days? Is that for any weapon or just hand guns?

The 3-day period is required under federal law, and some states have implemented additional waiting periods and / or background check requirements that are applicable within their jurisdiction.
I believe you are mistaken. There is NO waiting period under federal law. State laws vary. In CA in is 10 days, in WA, also 10 days. There is no notification of approval required in either state. Those states will issue a denial within the 10 day period.

Forum List

Back