If Barry Bonds isn't a Hall of Famer by the end of the day, it's a failure by the Hall of Fame

JustAGuy1

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2019
At the entrance to the National Baseball Hall of Fame's plaque gallery, a sign hangs to help guide museumgoers through what they're about to see. The first paragraph talks about how players are in the Hall for "their accomplishments in the game." The next paragraph says other areas of the museum "address the totality of their careers." The final paragraph ties it all together: "The National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum's mission is to Preserve History, which is what we seek to do throughout the Museum."

If indeed that is the Hall's mission, today is nothing less than an abject failure. Barry Bonds, arguably the greatest hitter in baseball history, inarguably worthy of induction, did not reach the 75% threshold in his final year on the writers' ballot. For the past nine years, at least one-third of the baseball writers who adjudicate such matters have found Bonds' use of performance-enhancing drugs to be disqualifying, and the revelation of Tuesday's vote is not expected to render any different judgment. He's not the only one, but Bonds' rejection, in particular, epitomizes how all these decades later, baseball is still bungling the PED issue, valuing a lazy, ahistorical moral referendum over the preservation of history.

They gave us everything we wanted. It was magical and we watched it. We didn't just watch it, we lived it with them. I will never forget the summer of McGuire and Sosa. The drugs don't work without the work. It's a travesty.

At the entrance to the National Baseball Hall of Fame's plaque gallery, a sign hangs to help guide museumgoers through what they're about to see. The first paragraph talks about how players are in the Hall for "their accomplishments in the game." The next paragraph says other areas of the museum "address the totality of their careers." The final paragraph ties it all together: "The National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum's mission is to Preserve History, which is what we seek to do throughout the Museum."

If indeed that is the Hall's mission, today is nothing less than an abject failure. Barry Bonds, arguably the greatest hitter in baseball history, inarguably worthy of induction, did not reach the 75% threshold in his final year on the writers' ballot. For the past nine years, at least one-third of the baseball writers who adjudicate such matters have found Bonds' use of performance-enhancing drugs to be disqualifying, and the revelation of Tuesday's vote is not expected to render any different judgment. He's not the only one, but Bonds' rejection, in particular, epitomizes how all these decades later, baseball is still bungling the PED issue, valuing a lazy, ahistorical moral referendum over the preservation of history.

They gave us everything we wanted. It was magical and we watched it. We didn't just watch it, we lived it with them. I will never forget the summer of McGuire and Sosa. The drugs don't work without the work. It's a travesty.
no matter what.....if he ever gets in he will have one of these * by his name....

If the truth ever came out how Speed was rampant in the 50s and 60s. Things would look different

Fuck MLB, NBA, NFL, IOC, FIFA, and college sports--they've politicized what used to be actual athletic excellence. I wouldn't walk across the street or give a red cent to the collective bunch of them.

Barry Bonds early years
Top-10-Barry-Bonds-Baseball-Cards-950-thumb.jpg

Barry Bonds juiced:

barrybonds282way_sq-d6714ee8003d6c9d8f71c58613e1b03e022108d6.jpg

He wouldn't have the numbers he has if it wasn't for the roids.
No HOF for Bonds

Last edited:
Bonds was probably THE biggest cheater out of all of them. The sad thing is he won two MVP'S before he started juicing. He probably could've had a Hall of Fame career without the steroids. But I think he got jealous of the publicity McGwire and Sosa got that one crazy season (1998) and felt he had to juice as well. NONE of the juicers belong in the Hall.

It's the ROIDS, dude. It gave him an unfair advantage.
Please, at least be honest.
And if Babe Ruth would have had access to "roids" he would have been stabbing his ass every single day. Like another poster said, "roids" don't amount to shit without the work. Bonds, McQuire, Sosa, they all deserve a spot in the Hall of Fame. I mean if we are going to condemn "roids" it is time we banned professional wrestling.

Babe Ruth hit a hefty portion of HRs drunk or hungover.

Bonds juiced, and shouldn't be in....Pete Rose should go in first.
Shoeless Joe just in front of Pete out of respect to elders

Let's take all the racists out to HOF members since 19...say....1970.....................LOLOL....................There would be a couple left

You watch, that's next

And if Babe Ruth would have had access to "roids" he would have been stabbing his ass every single day. Like another poster said, "roids" don't amount to shit without the work. Bonds, McQuire, Sosa, they all deserve a spot in the Hall of Fame. I mean if we are going to condemn "roids" it is time we banned professional wrestling.
So, using your premise, Bonds, McGuire, and Sosa were the only ball players that worked hard. Got it :rolleyes-41:
Sounds very stupid, but got it.

Last edited:
It's the ROIDS, dude. It gave him an unfair advantage.
Please, at least be honest.
Speeders gave Rose one too....................Look at him playing in the 60's and 70's . Wide eyed and hyper

Look at Fosse being crushed by a maniac in an AStar game

Babe Ruth didn't use roids....right?

If they get rewarded for using drugs it sends a bad message

Babe Ruth didnt use drugs and neither did Roger Maris, Hank Aaron or Ted Williams

those are the true greats of the sport who deserve to be honored

Speeders gave Rose one too....................Look at him playing in the 60's and 70's . Wide eyed and hyper

Look at Fosse being crushed by a maniac in an AStar game
What are you even talking about?
Do you have a linked source to your accusations?
Or, are we to take your opinion as fact?
And I don't even like Pete.
He took that incident at the All Star game too seriously
and ended a career for Fosse. But, that proves nothing

What are you even talking about?
Do you have a linked source to your accusations?
Or, are we to take your opinion as fact?
And I don't even like Pete.
He took that incident at the All Star game too seriously
and ended a career for Fosse. But, that proves nothing
What?????.....From near 20 yrs ago

I don't bring bull shit to the table here....just sayin

So, using your premise, Bonds, McGuire, and Sosa were the only ones that worked hard. Got it :rolleyes-41:
Sounds very stupid, but got it.
Hundreds of thousands of middle aged men are prescribed "roids". Why is it OK for those middle age men to be on "roids", getting injections every week, simply so they can get their pecker up, and yet it is absolutely banned that professional athletes, whose very livelihood demands on their performance, are precluded from using them? I mean yes, there are dangers, there are side effects, but WTF--let anyone and everyone use them if that is what they choose. I believe there is a word for that. Oh yeah, FREEDOM, that is the word.

And I notice, not a peep about banning professional wrestling.

Forum List

Back