Ice and Fire

Gdjjr

Platinum Member
Oct 25, 2019
Texas
In between his time as the governor of California and the president of the United States, Ronald Reagan (1911–2004) was interviewed by Reason magazine in 1975 about his political philosophy. The first question he was asked was about conservatism and libertarianism: “Governor Reagan, you have been quoted in the press as saying that you’re doing a lot of speaking now on behalf of the philosophy of conservatism and libertarianism. Is there a difference between the two?” Here is his response: “If you analyze it I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism. I think conservatism is really a misnomer just as liberalism is a misnomer for the liberals — if we were back in the days of the Revolution, so-called conservatives today would be the Liberals and the liberals would be the Tories. The basis of conservatism is a desire for less government interference or less centralized authority or more individual freedom and this is a pretty general description also of what libertarianism is.”

Ice and Fire

I disagree- today is immaterial to yesterday, though relevant. Yesterday the root of conservative is to conserve- to conserve means to keep- to keep, in today's vernacular is status quo- liberal was anti state control- conservatives of yesterday preferred the status quo and took sides with the King- liberals didn't, thus, Federalist and anti Federalist-
What I see, today, and not just on political message boards, is; conservatives are militaristic- they applaud police force and military force vs reasoning or consensus of agreement- they claim they want less but their actions don't don't show it.
What I see from Liberals is; they ain't. They just claim to prefer a different type force- one that hasn't been tried yet-
BOTH want their whatever forced on whoever- neither applauds Liberty.

Conservatives in America, want to conserve the Enlightenment Era principles of the Founding Fathers.

Militarism, is not inherently ideological. It depends on how it is to be used.

The Founding Fathers had no problem using military force to rebel against the Crown, for example.

• Banned
Just look at the confusion created by empty suits in the District of Criminals

The Mixed Economy Is a Mess

This overlapping of competitive markets with government-managed markets, with market competition and political controls, with honestly earned market income and profits due to political power and pull, create this schizophrenic set of policy views concerning private enterprise and government regulation and planning of society as reflected in the responses expressed in that Gallup poll.

The article has some interesting Gallup poll numbers- talk about being confused- man it seems, at times, hopeless.

What are you talking about? Modern day liberals favor heavy federal government regulation and government involvement in every facet of daily life, right down to telling people what bathrooms they can use. Get real.

What are you talking about? Modern day liberals favor heavy federal government regulation and government involvement in every facet of daily life, right down to telling people what bathrooms they can use. Get real.

So do modern day conservatives.

Some may, but there's a difference between the two in that regard. Just look at the current roll back in regulations, which you even said in a recent post that you applauded.

Updating to acknowledge that I misread the OP. He's saying both liberals and conservatives favor heavy government involvement, just in different ways. Point taken, though I stand by what I posted previously.

The Founding Fathers had no problem using military force to rebel against the Crown, for example.
It is today, though not inherent and I don't believe I said it was- there in lies the problem- oh, the founders didn't want a Standing Army, one of the reasons for the 2nd amendment, but they did believe in a Navy

Get real- what have conservatives done to change it? The Results don't reflect anything.

It is today, though not inherent and I don't believe I said it was- there in lies the problem- oh, the founders didn't want a Standing Army, one of the reasons for the 2nd amendment, but they did believe in a Navy

We were a small nation, far away from larger powers.

I doubt that they would have problems with our having a standing army in today's world.

I suspect they would have been supportive of our being members of NATO during the Cold War. I suspect Godless Communism, would have seems absolutely demonic to them.

I suspect that today, they would wonder why are forces were still in Europe and would have considered NATO expansion to have been one of the dumbest foreign policy choices of American history.

Forum List

Back