I wonder if McConnell could even agree to early release of prisoners over 45

Yeah, that'll be the gop line in the ear of no bipartisanship.

I can't say I'm surprised. Saddened, but not surprised. It's what happens when a political party designs it's platform to govern as a majority with 45%.

Yeah...let's release the Golden State Killer. If Manson were still alive, release him too. Old people don't kill any more cuz..well, they are old, right?

Old age makes the Kill Gene go away, correct?

:rolleyes:

Yeah, that'll be the gop line in the ear of no bipartisanship.

I can't say I'm surprised. Saddened, but not surprised. It's what happens when a political party designs it's platform to govern as a majority with 45%.
I'm not GOP and often do not agree with Kyrz, but I agree with him on this. Most that are in there, long term have been involved in violence and how many are hurt by their actions, violent or otherwise is often not easily pinned down. Is this a plea to release 45 year old white collar criminals? Is it too much to ask of adults to live without doing criminal harm to anybody else, or expect them to serve their time, as they knew it was criminal when they did the deed? Let them do their time as punishment and not come out ready to commit more. They gambled, lost and should take their medicine, where we do not have to deal with them on the outside.

Last edited:
I'm not GOP and often do agree with Kyrz, but I agree with him on this. Most that are in there, long term have been involved in violence and how many are hurt by their actions, violent or otherwise is often not easily pinned down. Is this a plea to release 45 year old white collar criminals? Is it too much to ask of adults to live without doing criminal harm to anybody else, or expect them to serve their time, as they knew it was criminal when they did the deed? Let them do their time as punishment and not come out ready to commit more. They gambled, lost and should take their medicine, where we do not have to deal with them on the outside.
If they've never been violent before, why would they start now? Although I'd agree people like Madoff should never get early release, or parole.

We lock up more people than anyone besides China. I don't see that as a social positive.

Yeah...let's release the Golden State Killer. If Manson were still alive, release him too. Old people don't kill any more cuz..well, they are old, right?

Old age makes the Kill Gene go away, correct?

:rolleyes:
So...did you not read what you replied to, or did you choose to ignore it?

I'm not GOP and often do agree with Kyrz, but I agree with him on this. Most that are in there, long term have been involved in violence and how many are hurt by their actions, violent or otherwise is often not easily pinned down. Is this a plea to release 45 year old white collar criminals? Is it too much to ask of adults to live without doing criminal harm to anybody else, or expect them to serve their time, as they knew it was criminal when they did the deed? Let them do their time as punishment and not come out ready to commit more. They gambled, lost and should take their medicine, where we do not have to deal with them on the outside.
I would agree if the rules applied to EVERYBODY equally, but you know good and goddamn well that most codified criminal offenses are nothing more than a tool for the elite to dominate the masses. They don't intend for the rules to apply to them. Why should our fellow non-elite Americans be subject to the harsh standards that those assholes get to ignore?

I am sure you have some examples you can point to.

If they've never been violent before, why would they start now? Although I'd agree people like Madoff should never get early release, or parole.

We lock up more people than anyone besides China. I don't see that as a social positive.
That we lock up more than anybody besides China is one of those dog whistle emotional appeals, with no relation to the fact of any crime committed. If they are locked up, you and I will absolutely not have to deal with any more of their shenanigans or ripoffs for the whole time they are in there. They aren't in there because they were forced at the point of a gun to commit crime. They chose. Let them live with it. If they have been arrested drunk driving 3 times but have not killed or injured anybody behind the wheel yet, you want to let them out to see if they will?

I would agree if the rules applied to EVERYBODY equally, but you know good and goddamn well that most codified criminal offenses are nothing more than a tool for the elite to dominate the masses. They don't intend for the rules to apply to them. Why should our fellow non-elite Americans be subject to the harsh standards that those assholes get to ignore?

I am sure you have some examples you can point to.
I am surprised at you. You really don't seem like somebody that has been oppressed by the man. I do agree that many of the wealthy class get away with more or get off on more, but that does not mean I want to open the doors on those rightfully proven guilty. That argument, like the China comparison has nothing to do with crimes committed. I have served in a jury pool at least two different months and sat 4 trials in the last 12 years. I am not nullified by social position either way, nor think that one should be. Your problem is with prosecutors, not penology. I can't help you with that.

The entire freaking FBI is engaged in an investigation dedicated to putting mom and pop capital demonstrators behind bars and the left asks whether the senate minority leader would agree to releasing prisoners? WTF is going on in the minds of lefties?

who did not commit a crime of violence, or a property crime with less than say five victims, and served at least five years.

It'd be nice to differentiate ourselves, imo

I'm not sure what you want here. What does the Senate have to do with any of this? Are you asking that the Senate write and pass legislation that would create lighter sentences and then grandfather current offenders in?

who did not commit a crime of violence, or a property crime with less than say five victims, and served at least five years.

It'd be nice to differentiate ourselves, imo

Dumb idea. We're already going soft on crime and look at the fucking statistics.
Besides Biden has ZERO power over state convictions.

That we lock up more than anybody besides China is one of those dog whistle emotional appeals, with no relation to the fact of any crime committed. If they are locked up, you and I will absolutely not have to deal with any more of their shenanigans or ripoffs for the whole time they are in there. They aren't in there because they were forced at the point of a gun to commit crime. They chose. Let them live with it. If they have been arrested drunk driving 3 times but have not killed or injured anybody behind the wheel yet, you want to let them out to see if they will?
I don't see it as a dog whistle issue. It's like Americans are more inclined to break laws than say .... the English? I don't think drunk driving is considered a non-violent crime. I never considered it. Although in Miss, now a first offender can be "non adjudicated" is he/she voluntarily goes into a diversion/treatment program.

I am surprised by the opposition.

The entire freaking FBI is engaged in an investigation dedicated to putting mom and pop capital demonstrators behind bars and the left asks whether the senate minority leader would agree to releasing prisoners? WTF is going on in the minds of lefties?
imo mitch would jam up anything to avoid any bipartisanship because Biden wanted it.

I don't see it as a dog whistle issue. It's like Americans are more inclined to break laws than say .... the English? I don't think drunk driving is considered a non-violent crime. I never considered it. Although in Miss, now a first offender can be "non adjudicated" is he/she voluntarily goes into a diversion/treatment program.

I am surprised by the opposition.
It would not hurt my feelings if it was diversion and fine on first offense. Automatic 60 days, big fine and loss of license for a year on 2nd, automatic non-negotiable 3 years, huge fine for 3rd, driving on no license while it is pulled, automatic 5 year and take any car they own. It does not work that way here. You do see people arrest for 4th and even 5th offense. They keep letting out and letting drive until the kill or permanently change somebody's life. Some people just do not learn, and it is not necessarily alcoholics.

Forum List

Back