I want to ride my bicycle I want to ride my bike

i took up riding with the kid when we moved to town a few years ago. Those country roads are treacherous. Anyhow- i got a map of the city and began marking off streets as we finished our rides.
It's now almost completed. I plan to take it to the mayor and also maybe see if the paper will do a story on our adventure.
looks like someone is an attention whore.:confused: The next time you go riding take some armament and rob a liquor store. You'll get plenty of attention when they film the slow speed chase back to casa h.:d
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnpxiibhcky"]steves riding lawn mower dui arrest video - youtube[/ame]

hahahahahahahaha...

I ride the circuit from my home West to Boulder, North to Lyons, then East to Longmont, then back home.

In Boulder I'd stop for a beer at some brewery off Pearl St as a reward for peddeling downhill 15 miles.

I'd stop into a biker bar in Lyons and get a pint or two after another 15 mile trip.

12 miles from Lyons to Longmont's Pump House Brewery.

10 miles home from Longmont.

Total trip 52 miles, 6 pints, $30.00, 12 hours.

I ride the circuit from my home West to Boulder, North to Lyons, then East to Longmont, then back home.

In Boulder I'd stop for a beer at some brewery off Pearl St as a reward for peddeling downhill 15 miles.

I'd stop into a biker bar in Lyons and get a pint or two after another 15 mile trip.

Technically, you're a biker!

I hope to eventually be riding everywhere...right now our schedules and the frequent storms sort of interfere...

12 hours? That sounds like some serious up and downhill. How often do you do this, Samson?

We're about to move to the same town where I work. I'll be a mile and a half from the office. Will save a metric ass-load of gas. I plan on walking to work -- there are some steep hills in the way.

But I have in mind some bike hacking projects I want to do in welding class next semester. There are some great bike trails in Land Between the Lakes, and the roadway on top of Kentucky Dam was converted to a bike/walking path.

12 hours? That sounds like some serious up and downhill. How often do you do this, Samson?

Acually, the % inclines and declines are not that much.

I'll do it about once a month, beginning in May, ending in September...this year I'll get a trip in during April. The biggest problem is avoiding damn Goat Heads....huge thorns that are obsticles in later summer months.

I'll also bring the bike up to Winter Park, where I'll jump on a ski lift and ride it to the top of a mountain, then ride the trail down. Last year I almost ran over a deer that was taking a dust bath in the trail.

Do you make shorter trips in the meantime? When I hear a long trek separated by 30 days, it usually means being sore once a month if there isn't some serioius workout times in between.

Well, whatever, Samson, safe journey wherever you bike. Bring back some pictures, won't you of your travels.

Do you make shorter trips in the meantime? When I hear a long trek separated by 30 days, it usually means being sore once a month if there isn't some serioius workout times in between.

Well, whatever, Samson, safe journey wherever you bike. Bring back some pictures, won't you of your travels.

Yes Pics are a good idea, I'll do it!

Once or twice a week I'll bike 10-12 miles...no big, and you are correct, I need a day or so to get over the butt-hurt of a 50 mile trip.

I have a couple of male friends who are heavy into bicycling...they started just by doing it and before long they were doing what samson does, long trips on weekends and holidays.

One started quite overweight, just bicycling from his home to work and back each day. That's what I'm trying to do, but it's hard to coordinate with the kids and baseball right after work and all. I have to fly to pick them up as soon as I get off work, and it takes me 20 minutes to bicycle home to pick up the car to go get them...so the logistics are quite daunting.

But I'm plugging away, my goal is for all of us to ride each day...we'll ride to their child care facility, then I'll go on to work, then ride to pick them up and home. Right now it's not possible but by the time school is out, we're on it.

Right after closing out of usmb I checked my fb and one of those guys had posted that he rode a 31 mile loop somewhere...

I rode today, not very far I had my youngest with me..but it was fun......love my bicycle.

No ghey hatted boobies but my son did get hit by a car...

He swerved into it's path and wasn't hurt other than a couple of little scrapes. We were both wearing our helmets (first time for me). I looked at his helmet here a little bit ago, looks like it did get hit so I'm very happy he was wearing it!

I had told him to pull to the side of the road and he ignored me...and promptly got smacked...I asked him afterwards if he had learned his lesson and he said "Yeah I'm never riding a bike again!"

No ghey hatted boobies but my son did get hit by a car...

He swerved into it's path and wasn't hurt other than a couple of little scrapes. We were both wearing our helmets (first time for me). I looked at his helmet here a little bit ago, looks like it did get hit so I'm very happy he was wearing it!

I had told him to pull to the side of the road and he ignored me...and promptly got smacked...I asked him afterwards if he had learned his lesson and he said "Yeah I'm never riding a bike again!"

:clap2:

Close call... tell him to get back on that "bike" and ride.

He should let it be a lesson.

Come to think of it, I have never worn one... but I am extremely aware and also probably very lucky
:eusa_shifty:

I just put mine on today...I have one that I bought when I got the kids theirs, and just decided I should wear it since I am traveling on paved roads with traffic (albeit nice wide roads) but primarily to be an example to the kids....

Not that I was in any danger today, I felt so sorry for the woman who hit him (or he hit) she was fairly shaken up and I sent her on her way quickly because I was afraid someone else was going to get hit if she lingered...and now I wished I'd talked to her more. But I assured her he was fine and hurried her along.

I think his rim is bent, and with the cheap little bikes like he has, it's not worth it to fix the rim...I just went through this with his LAST bike, after his big brother bent the rim. I took it to the bike shop, and it was going to cost $60 to replace the rim...and the bike wasn't worth that much. But I'll take it in and see, anyway. Who knows...

It gave him a good story though...

Later in teh car, he had grabbed my knife that i keep in there, and was fiddling with it...I told him to stop and he didn't, and I said "Look, we're driving and you don't need to be playing with it. You disobeyed me when we were bicycle riding and look what happened..." he stopped immediately and put the knife away. But then he said "I can see you're going to be using that a LOT."

I told him yes, he might as well get used to it.

He kind of rides all over. He veers, passes, goes ahead, falls behind...he was ahead of me when this happened.

We had been in a low traffic residential area, a neighborhood...we went and visited my auntie and then we got on a bike trail that cuts through the woods on each side of a relatively busy (but slow, 25 mph) thoroughfare (2 lane, with bike lanes, that provides a highway by-pass for people traveling on the east side of town).

Anyway, the biketrail crosses this street just a little bit north of our residential street route a few blocks from our house...we only have to cross (there's a crosswalk and often no traffic at all) and go a few yards and we're on the street that takes us to our house.
Well just as we came out onto the street from the bike path, a friend drove by with my daughter and a couple of her friends, on their way to our house to pick up my daughter's swim suit so they could go swimming. He pulled over, and I stopped my bike to quickly exchange words with them...I told my son to stop and park his bike 2 times, said about 2 words to Andy, then we heard a honk and looked up and my son was running back, yelling and crying, his bike was down and a car had stopped.

At first I thought he'd just laid his bike down..but the driver said the bike and her car connected.

I do try to keep him behind me....so he focuses on me instead of looking off yonder, because he tends to steer towards whatever he's looking at. Including traffic.

I think once we get his bike fixed I'm going to put him through a safety course.

I've been riding my bike a lot (relatively speaking...I'm not doing 32 mile loops up and downhill like my experienced male bicycling friends do) back and forth from work.

My boy's scrapes are healing nicely, he was fascinated last night by the pus and scab that didn't hurt when he took it off in the shower, lol. I remember those days...I had some pretty spectacular boo boos from bicyle wipe outs when I was a girl...

I love my bike..today it was absolutely gorgeous out, the sun was shining, birds were chirping, it wasn't hot, it wasn't cold, it smelled good, people were smiling...I love it here.

And my legs and glutes are getting a work out! Seriously!

Yes Pics are a good idea, I'll do it!

Once or twice a week I'll bike 10-12 miles...no big, and you are correct, I need a day or so to get over the butt-hurt of a 50 mile trip.

OK I rode 60 miles yesterday and have posted the pics in this thread:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/the-outdoors/219765-pictorial-essay-boulder-county.html#post5167817

Last edited:

Forum List

Back