I suck at chess

CrusaderFrank

Diamond Member
May 20, 2009
I haven't played in a few decades, the pieces all pretty much move like they used to, but for the life of me, I lost whatever ability I used to possess.

While talking on WhatsApp with my son in Barcelona, he recommended that I download Lichess so we could play. I opened e4 he played e6 and I had to think for like 10 minutes, it was all so alien.

I started beating Stockfish (at level 3) so there's a glimmer of hope.

Yikes

Take singing lessons ...

960x400-1605477638.jpg

It just takes playing it more and more .The more you play it the better you get. After years of not playing, I started playing my computer at lowest level, and now wins in intermediate level, I am in advanced and so far just getting draws. So don't give up it is way to keep the brain active.

It just takes playing it more and more .The more you play it the better you get. After years of not playing, I started playing my computer at lowest level, and now wins in intermediate level, I am in advanced and so far just getting draws. So don't give up it is way to keep the brain active.
So what would be a good Chess game to get for the PC, if you're a dumb SOB at it like me?

So what would be a good Chess game to get for the PC, if you're a dumb SOB at it like me?
Mine is called chess free. It came with my computer.

I play most days, and the number of players has increased by the thousands after watching this link.

I haven't played in a few decades, the pieces all pretty much move like they used to, but for the life of me, I lost whatever ability I used to possess.

While talking on WhatsApp with my son in Barcelona, he recommended that I download Lichess so we could play. I opened e4 he played e6 and I had to think for like 10 minutes, it was all so alien.

Yikes

Frank, go to the library and take out a book (yes, a real book) on basic chess strategy. You'll be kicking ass in no time.

I returned to chess after many decades away. Started at maybe bottom 25% of players, looking back it was clear I had forgotten my game. Now I've reached as high as about top 88% or so of player pool in various time limits.

I'm not sure what time limit you are playing, Classical games are probably tougher to improve your rank than a repetitive Blitz or Bullet match simply because relying on route memory isn't as important as a greater level of analysis of your position which more time allows. They do however, improve tactics.

However, my advice if you want to excel fastest, employ no more than a maximum of two openings for white and two defenses for black. A more focused mastering of just one of each is even better. Play them over and over and you will pick up patterns in opponent moves and responses and quickly learn weaknesses and strengths. You will go from comfort in the first 5 moves, to comfort in 7, then 10 etc. You will see the same situations and identify the game a few steps ahead more easily (in my experience at least).

When you decide to move onto new openings/defenses, you will quickly pick up similarities and find the right move easier as the brain paths have been wired accordingly. I've played some classical games could almost feet the blood rush to my head as I was analyzing multiple combinations of my move and opponents responses. It's quite enjoyable in my opinion.

Lucas chess for the PC.

When I was a kid I learned how the different pieces are permitted to move; I thought I knew how to play chess.

Once in the army I was playing with a guy at my level, dicking around for an hour or so, feeling pretty good about ourselves. This was at a "transient barracks" at Fr Belvoir, where we were all there for a short stay before moving on to our next duty station.

a fellow soldier watched us for a little while and asked if he could sit in against one of us (me). SURE!

While I was preparing to make my - I don't know - third or fourth move I heard him say, "Check." Then, "Mate." After the third or fourth repetition of that little drama, I concluded (correctly) that I didn't actually know how to play chess.

Forty years later, I tracked down a computer chess game, began playing at the Kindergarten level, and after a couple months managed a draw against the machine. Not very gratifying.

My theory is that the fun-ness of a pastime is assured by a combination of luck and skill. Poker is a good example of the phenomenon. If a game is purely luck, only a moron will enjoy it. If it is purely skill, it lacks mass appeal. There is no luck in chess. Sorry.

Yikes
If you have a Windows 7 computer or later (up to but not including Windows 10), Chess Titans is included for free as part of the games that come with the operating system. Even though the games are not included in Windows 10 they can be added. Chess Titans has 3 levels of difficulty therefore I'm sure you can relearn the game and improve by playing against the computer until you build your skillset back up enough to play your son again or other individuals online.

I'm sure it's been more than 30 years ago but I fell in love with a game called Battle Chess. The board pieces would animate and battle when capturing one another. For some reason, this made the game even more appealing, at least to me and I believe motivated me to improve. I wish I still had my original software, it probably came on a floppy disk :)

Any of these games

Forum List

Back