I saw a black bear!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYkWWnZm6-w]YouTube - Dwight Schrute Bear Attack PSA[/ame]

cause we only have black bears....

This little guy walked through my yard yesterday!

$cute_polar_bear.jpg

I saw a bear near the median on a highway near where I used to live in Massachusetts, thought it was a large Doberman until we drove by it, the realization was chilling..

He sleeps in front of my log fire, but he is all skin and no bones

I was driving to pick up my friend, and before they could close the road I saw the bear on the side of the road sleeping in a tree! :lol:
By the time I headed back home, the only road somewhat heading back to my house was closed due to the bear. :lol:

Black bear shot out of tree near Spokane neighborhood | KREM 2 News | KREM.com | When it Matters Most | Local News

Exactly how is the bear's color relevant? Are you a racist?

can you be racist against a different species? Is that specist?

i have black bear passing through the yard....i get excited when i see cubs

Not as excited as you'll be when the mom sees you...

"Since 1980 there have been approximately 32 deaths by black bears - 13 of those occurred since the year 2000.

> May 2000, Tennessee: An adult female hiker was killed by a black bear and her yearling cub in Great Smoky Mountains National Park - the bears were found and killed; termed a predatory attack

> July 2000, Quebec: An adult woman athlete was killed while jogging

> June 2001, Northwest Territory: A boy was killed while camping

> August 2001, New Mexico: An elderly woman was killed by a black bear in her home

> August 2002, New York: A five-month-old baby was killed; termed a predatory attack

> September 2002, Quebec: An adult male was killed at his campsite

> September 2002, British Columbia: An adult male was killed at an oil rig

> April 2003, Quebec: A forestry worker (man) was killed by a large male black bear

> April 2005, Northwest Territories: An elderly man was killed at a fishing camp

> August 2005, Manitoba: An adult man was killed while picking fruit

> August 2005, Ontario: An adult woman was killed, her husband seriously injured; termed a predatory attack

> April 2006, Tennessee: A six-year-old girl was killed in Cherokee National Forest; termed a predatory attack

> June 2007, Utah: An 11-year-old boy was killed in American Fork Canyon; termed a predatory attack; person was dragged out of a tent

> July 2007, British Columbia: A 31-year-old woman on a bicycle was attacked and killed by a black bear near Invermere

> June 2008, Quebec: A 70-year-old grandmother was attacked and killed by a black bear near the Theo River; the bear was not found

[Thank you to Dr. Stephen Herrero for confirming statistics prior to 2007 for this article.]"

Welcome to CoveBear.com! - Black Bear Attacks

That is about 1 death a year from black bears. Not at all a large number. Certainly pales beside the number of those that die from insect stings.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/aex-fact/192/pdf/0192_1_03.pdf

Background
Between one and two million people in the United State are very allergic to stinging insect venom. Every
year 90 to 100 people die from sting reactions. Many more deaths may happen, mistakenly diagnosed as heart
attacks or sunstrokes or attributed to other causes
. More people die yearly from the effects of insect venom than
from spider bites.
Stinging insects can present an occupational health problem, mainly for sensitive workers. Usually, danger
occurs when workers disturb nests of stinging insects such as bees, wasps, hornets, or yellow jackets.

i cant believe how excited you got over a black bear....we country people wonder about city people

We have that here. A bear shows up in the neighborhood and people freak. The only times I have been concerned was running across two cubs on a trail not 20 feet from me. I back peddled rather quickly, I couldn't see momma and they can be very protective, I did not want to be the recipient of her protective wrath.
The other was realizing I was in Grizzly territory in the rockies. I kept the rifle ready and remained wary till I was able to pass through that section, thankfully never heard or saw any griz.

o there have been how many black bear attacks....just stupid city people...getting in between a cub and a sow..that is never a good idea..and yea nothing is worse than coming across cubs.....you just hope the sow is in front of you..and not coming up from behind...

here is our defense when that happens:

yell o fuck at the top of your lungs....that startles both you and the cubs....

since you dont know if the sow is behind you or in front of you..you have to do the crab run....go to the side....of course there is no trail there...but run like you see her...and hope when you are running you dont hear crashing noises behind you....cause once she gets wind of you....and gets pissed....you are gonna be ran down....

only thing in the woods that scares me...has two legs....

o and the advice above should scare ya....dont ever get in bear country in cubbing season...just dont....

Forum List

Back