I Need a Laptop

Mr Natural

Platinum Member
Aug 23, 2009
Time for me to move into the 21st Century and get a wireless laptop.

I don't need the best nor do I want the worst.

So what's good for around $500?

And what should I avoid?

What size do you want? What do you want it to do, normal word processing, internet and e-mail or video, music downloads and games? Regular games or hi-end graphic intensive?

What size do you want? What do you want it to do, normal word processing, internet and e-mail or video, music downloads and games? Regular games or hi-end graphic intensive?

Just normal word processing, internet and e-mail. No games or music downloads.

I think I know the answer to this but, are any of them made in America?

Last edited:
I got an Acer about a year ago..I'd never heard of them but I needed one right then and that's what the store had....and I was really pleased with it. Pretty weak audio though.

In fact, I went to replace it and they had just gotten a shipment they didn't bother to hit the floor with because there were people lined up for them.

Okay. 10" notebook? 14", 16" 18" laptop?

We have a Dell Inspiron 1525, running Vista. We bought it new in Sept. 2008. No real complaints about it.

However my daughter's computer (same as ours, given to her as a h.s. graduation gift in June, 2008) is giving her all types of problems. Constantly shutting down, freezing. She just tried putting two songs onto her ipod and the computer caused that to freeze. No idea if it's hardware or software causing the problem -- she's just trying to get it to hang on until she gets done school and can buy something new, probably a Mac. Of course, she has lots and lots of programs on hers and although she's always been careful with it, it has travelled back and forth to school for four years so who knows why it's being weird. These things simply don't last forever . . . .

You can search Dell's website for refurbished computers. They are factory refurbished to new but are cheaper than new.

Wireless is great . . . but our Belkin router literally blew up (smoked poured out of it) after less than 2 years. Went with a Linksys and have had zero problems with it -- easy peasy to install too.

Wireless mouse rocks.

We have a Dell Inspiron 1525, running Vista. We bought it new in Sept. 2008. No real complaints about it.

However my daughter's computer (same as ours, given to her as a h.s. graduation gift in June, 2008) is giving her all types of problems. Constantly shutting down, freezing. She just tried putting two songs onto her ipod and the computer caused that to freeze. No idea if it's hardware or software causing the problem -- she's just trying to get it to hang on until she gets done school and can buy something new, probably a Mac. Of course, she has lots and lots of programs on hers and although she's always been careful with it, it has travelled back and forth to school for four years so who knows why it's being weird. These things simply don't last forever . . . .

You can search Dell's website for refurbished computers. They are factory refurbished to new but are cheaper than new.

Wireless is great . . . but our Belkin router literally blew up (smoked poured out of it) after less than 2 years. Went with a Linksys and have had zero problems with it -- easy peasy to install too.

Wireless mouse rocks.

For your daughters laptop. Try this:

Drivers and Downloads | Dell [United States]

4 years is a pretty advanced age for most computers....particularly if they get any use.

Mine has been used hard by the entire household...it has traveled around, is missing some keys..for a while the fan didn't work, but finally it got over whatever was ailing it and just continues to click along. I don't think I even have virus protection on it now, lol. Before that I had an HP which was a cool little computer but fairly heavy...and eventually getting rousted around by so many people resulted in damage to the connection between the monitor and the guts..everybody would grab it by the monitor and pack it between rooms, and they aren't made to hold up to that (but it did! For a whole year! And if I had just done what I was supposed to with my warranty, they probably would have fixed it.

Oh well. The Acer is still working but I'm getting another. I think another Acer.

I really liked mine, but it was heavy, and though it was a great computer, it has to be handled fairly gently.

A LOT more powerful and much better sound and features than the Acer.

Sixteen inch seems like a good size.

Sixteen inch seems like a good size.

Here's a 15.6" ASUS, dual core, 4 GBs of RAM, running Windows 7 Home Premium for for $540.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/K53E-DH91-15-6-Inch-Versatile-Entertainment-Laptop/dp/B005PAJVGE/ref=sr_1_6?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1330972486&sr=1-6]Amazon.com: ASUS K53E-DH91 15.6-Inch Versatile Entertainment Laptop (Mocha): Computers & Accessories[/ame]

Forum List

Back