I Need a Laptop

did you ever get that laptop bag you were drooling over?
Nah. Since it's a 17" I decided to get a Sherpa to haul it for me.

oh you should have gotten it anyway... it was a great bag!

I am partial to HP's.

Sorry to disagree, dear, but my company went tp HP laptops as opposed to the Dells we'd been under contract for for years. The ones they chose...suck. So many battery complaints, firmware issues, buggy OS installs, it's ridiculous.

I'm one of the last people with a Dell. It's not even under warranty anymore, but I got a 'papal dispensation' to allow me to keep it until it dies. ;)

4684511_ra.jpg

Toshiba - 17.3" Satellite Laptop - 4GB Memory - 640GB Hard Drive - Matrix Graphite - L775-S7130

$579.95
Toshiba - 17.3" Satellite Laptop - 4GB Memory - 640GB Hard Drive - Matrix Graphite
Intel core i3 2.3GHz
4Gig RAM (exp to 8Gig)
640Gig HD (SATA 5400RPM)
DVD±RW/CD-RW
digital media card reader
webcam
3 USB ports
HDMI output
Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

I am partial to HP's.

Sorry to disagree, dear, but my company went tp HP laptops as opposed to the Dells we'd been under contract for for years. The ones they chose...suck. So many battery complaints, firmware issues, buggy OS installs, it's ridiculous.

I'm one of the last people with a Dell. It's not even under warranty anymore, but I got a 'papal dispensation' to allow me to keep it until it dies. ;)

I'll have to concur. My wife bought a sooper-de-dooper 17" HP a year or two back with all the bells and whistles. It overheats and you have to use a cooling pad under it.......and when I say "have to", I mean have to. It isn't an option. It kept blowing up and she kept having to restore. The wireless card constantly dropped in and out. It's been to the Geek Squad three times over the last two years and one time they had to send it back to HP to be worked on. She gave up, gave it to me and bought herself a 17" Dell and has not had a single problem with it. I periodically get the blue screen of death when I fire the old girl up and have to power off and back on and the treble setting keeps popping up and sliding up and down the setting scale while I'm in the middle of other things. Very frustrating. That's the last HP our house will ever see. I spend most of my time on my iPad and only dig out the laptop when I have to.

Last edited:
Time for me to move into the 21st Century and get a wireless laptop.

I don't need the best nor do I want the worst.

So what's good for around $500?

And what should I avoid?

don't buy dell, whatever you do.I bought a HIGH END Del the day after I got laid of in april 2009. Over the last coupla months - the dvdplayer ( internal of course) has stopped working, the on/off button is squishy, it is just wearing out and one day I will press it and it will just indent and not turn the machine on and that will be fracking that.....and, this is NOT a heavily used item, I keep it as my downstairs living room toy, used by me alone. The input for the ac jack is badly designed and wired, you cannot let the cord bend at all ( close to the machine) or it will pull and torque the receptacle ...its getting loose and the thing has sat in its same spot for 3 effing years...in short- Dell+ lowest of the low bidder= garbage even if you buy their "high end" machine.

and whatever you get if it has vista, just load the gun, head to the attic and blow your brains out now, save yourself all the frustration.

I'd get a Lenovo laptop................ IF you decide to get a notebook, I'll tell you the HP model I bought for my wife, I was shocked its so very well made, well machined, designed and hasn't had a problem in a year and a half. about 850 with upgrades, best chip, bigger HD etc etc....

And what should I avoid?

don't buy dell, whatever you do.I bought a HIGH END Del the day after I got laid of in april 2009. Over the last coupla months - the dvdplayer ( internal of course) has stopped working, the on/off button is squishy, it is just wearing out and one day I will press it and it will just indent and not turn the machine on and that will be fracking that.....and, this is NOT a heavily used item, I keep it as my downstairs living room toy, used by me alone. The input for the ac jack is badly designed and wired, you cannot let the cord bend at all ( close to the machine) or it will pull and torque the receptacle ...its getting loose and the thing has sat in its same spot for 3 effing years...in short- Dell+ lowest of the low bidder= garbage even if you buy their "high end" machine.

and whatever you get if it has vista, just load the gun, head to the attic and blow your brains out now, save yourself all the frustration.

I'd get a Lenovo laptop................ IF you decide to get a notebook, I'll tell you the HP model I bought for my wife, I was shocked its so very well made, well machined, designed and hasn't had a problem in a year and a half. about 850 with upgrades, best chip, bigger HD etc etc....

LOL

See my post above yours. I've had the exact opposite experience. Our Dell is a dream and the HP is a total lemon. Someone in India probably dropped your Dell and my HP when they were transferring it from one workstation to the next. But what can you expect, 5 year olds aren't strong enough to handle 17" fully loaded laptops. :lol:

Am I wasting my time in asking if there are any American made laptops?

And what should I avoid?

You know, before I read this thread, I really expected you to tell us that since you need a laptop, we should provide one for you.

I'm actually very surprised... or does that come later in the thread? :eusa_shhh:

Immie

PS Just razzing you and the other libs, Mr. Clean.

And what should I avoid?

This is why you always spring for the two year protection plan....

They will fix those things. You just send the computer in.

My dol bought a Toshiba (which is a really nice computer...she's had it for years now) with a two year protection plan....within a few weeks, the jack broke off because hers and my son's toddler was constantly hoisting it around when it was charging...they sent it back and they fixed it. Then the baby barfed all over the keyboard, which resulted in all the keys sticking. They sent it back and got a new computer, lol.

I learned my lesson with the HP that went tits up just less than a year after I got it...my wonderful little computer with a big memory and lots and lots of pictures and all sorts of cool stuff on it and I couldn't use it because the stupid wire from the monitor was damaged...

I went and picked up my Acer yesterday, I really do like this little laptop. It's cheap and it works just fine for internet stuff, watching movies, and pictures. It doesn't have a lot of oomph for things like games and it will get bogged down a bit when the memory starts to get full but I really like it.

And what should I avoid?

LOL

See my post above yours. I've had the exact opposite experience. Our Dell is a dream and the HP is a total lemon. Someone in India probably dropped your Dell and my HP when they were transferring it from one workstation to the next. But what can you expect, 5 year olds aren't strong enough to handle 17" fully loaded laptops. :lol:

:lol::cool:Oh I saw yours.

buuuuuuuuuut remember my HP was a notebook net book whatever the hell they call them....and it got very very good reviews from everyone from c-net to wired....*shrugs*

dell? well I bought the Studio 17, all the upgrades...

I have to say I switched over to apple at work at least for special uses....my job gave me carte blanche, so I bought the blow out mac air, 5 friggin grand...BUT, its unreal. what a beautiful, well made device....

PC wise, for laptop? Lenovo. ;)

And what should I avoid?

This is why you always spring for the two year protection plan....

They will fix those things. You just send the computer in.

My dol bought a Toshiba (which is a really nice computer...she's had it for years now) with a two year protection plan....within a few weeks, the jack broke off because hers and my son's toddler was constantly hoisting it around when it was charging...they sent it back and they fixed it. Then the baby barfed all over the keyboard, which resulted in all the keys sticking. They sent it back and got a new computer, lol.

I learned my lesson with the HP that went tits up just less than a year after I got it...my wonderful little computer with a big memory and lots and lots of pictures and all sorts of cool stuff on it and I couldn't use it because the stupid wire from the monitor was damaged...

I went and picked up my Acer yesterday, I really do like this little laptop. It's cheap and it works just fine for internet stuff, watching movies, and pictures. It doesn't have a lot of oomph for things like games and it will get bogged down a bit when the memory starts to get full but I really like it.

I got laid off in april 2009, and frankly if the god-dang thing won't last 3 years, its garbage, this isn't a Hard drive that got dropped a few times or was used every day heavily, that I can live with....this was other stuff that was simply not made to last past the doorway. churn'em and burn'em and I got burned.

They have three year protection plans too, around $50.

My Acer was under $400 ($347 I think) and I got a two year plan for $40. Pretty good deal...and they have them at Freddy's and I think at Walmart!

Okay. 10" notebook? 14", 16" 18" laptop?

Sixteen inch seems like a good size.

Here's a 15.6" ASUS, dual core, 4 GBs of RAM, running Windows 7 Home Premium for for $540.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/K53E-DH91-15-6-Inch-Versatile-Entertainment-Laptop/dp/B005PAJVGE/ref=sr_1_6?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1330972486&sr=1-6]Amazon.com: ASUS K53E-DH91 15.6-Inch Versatile Entertainment Laptop (Mocha): Computers & Accessories[/ame]
Asus or Apple would be my choices also. I have an Asus PC and love it. I got sick of the prior four glitchy HP's I owned. Never again. Course you won't touch an Apple laptop for under a grand, but I'm sure there's decent Asus laptops in that price range.

Last edited:
Protection plans........I'm not saying I never bought one. My dad, God rest his soul, would never buy one. He went to Sears probably 30 years or so ago to buy an appliance and the salesman tried to sell him one. My dad asked him if he was trying to tell him that their product wouldn't last and if so, he had no desire to spend his money on it. The guy stood there with a deer in the headlight look. There was a time when products were built to last, did last and if they broke, the company stood behind it. Now, you go into it knowing it's probably going to crap out and you are up a creek unless you spend additional money to cover their poor quailty. Sucks!

Yeah but a laptop ain't a washing machine. There are a lot of little parts and components, and they're relatively fragile. It's a given that something is going to go haywire at some point. I'm happy enough that you can buy a protection plan for the cheaper ones. Cuz I know how my family abuses electronics, and how many people will be using it every single day....since I brought it home yesterday, four people have used this new computer in various places throughout the house. That sort of wear and tear is rough on them.

Forum List

Back