What's new

I love podcasts

Reaction score
I've just recently (relatively) discovered podcasts and I absolutely love to listen to them when I'm exercising. Much better than music for me since podcasts engage my mind to a greater degree.

Anyways, I'm currently listening to Moonrise put out by the WaPo. It describes the space program and the moon landing which has been all the craze this year. But this is different than the other shows I've seen which start out pretty much with Kennedy's challenge to go to the moon. That's approximately the middle of this story. She actually starts out with the SciFi writers who inspired many of the early rocket scientists such as von Braun and she moves on from there and includes a lot about Korolev, the Russian corollary to von Braun.

The episode I listened to today talked about how Eisenhower nixed a proposal to land on the moon (by the military) and how Kennedy wasn't initially interested in our space program. It was only after the Bay of Pigs and Gagarin whent he was looking to change the perception of his administration and finally decided on the Moon program with a lot of input from Johnson and NASA.

I could go on and on. A lot of fascinating information if you're into that part of our history.

OP
Apparently Lucid
Reaction score
Stuff You Should Know...
Monster-DC Sniper...
Star Talk...

All great podcasts
Stuff you should know is right up my alley. Thanks.

I lived through the DC sniper. I'll bet I'll find it interesting.

Thanks again.

OP
Apparently Lucid
Reaction score
Michael Lewis is one of my favorite authors. I was first exposed to him when someone recommended reading Liar's Poker for insight into the Securitized Mortgage industry where I had just started working at the time. You may be more familiar with him from the movies Money Ball and The Big Short which were based upon his books.

Anyways, I told you that so that I could tell you this. ;-)

Check out his podcast Against the Rules. It made me think. That's a high complement from me.

Andylusion

Gold Member
Reaction score
I've just recently (relatively) discovered podcasts and I absolutely love to listen to them when I'm exercising. Much better than music for me since podcasts engage my mind to a greater degree.

Anyways, I'm currently listening to Moonrise put out by the WaPo. It describes the space program and the moon landing which has been all the craze this year. But this is different than the other shows I've seen which start out pretty much with Kennedy's challenge to go to the moon. That's approximately the middle of this story. She actually starts out with the SciFi writers who inspired many of the early rocket scientists such as von Braun and she moves on from there and includes a lot about Korolev, the Russian corollary to von Braun.

The episode I listened to today talked about how Eisenhower nixed a proposal to land on the moon (by the military) and how Kennedy wasn't initially interested in our space program. It was only after the Bay of Pigs and Gagarin whent he was looking to change the perception of his administration and finally decided on the Moon program with a lot of input from Johnson and NASA.

I could go on and on. A lot of fascinating information if you're into that part of our history.
Audio books are also great. Here in columbus ohio, you can borrow (download) audio books from the public library. Coolidge, Adam Smith, Munich 1938, bunch of others, all really good.

OP
Apparently Lucid
Reaction score
Indeed. I'm an avid reader and I can readily see the connection.

Thanks!

OP
Apparently Lucid
Reaction score
Another great podcast, in fact my first. is Slow Burn. I was reminded of it when I just saw that they've made a TV show about it on Epix, whatever that is.

The First season is about the Watergate saga. It starts out talking about Martha Mitchell. I had forgotten about her but when her name was mentioned, I recalled that she was the wife of the Attorney general who often leaked unflattering vignettes about Nixon.

She was in California, with her husband, when the Watergate break in occurred. She knew one of the buglers so John Mitchell wanted her to be kept unaware of this while he returned to DC to handle the crisis. Martha found out and called a reporter friend of hers. The person charged with watching her found out only after the call had been connected and he proceeded to pull the phone wire out of the wall. She was then forced to take sedatives.

I remember most of that and I recall that when the report was published in the press, I didn't believe it. It was only "crazy" Martha, after all. But today, psychiatrists refer to the "Martha Mitchell Effect".

She Tried To Tell The World About Watergate — Then They Silenced Her

From link:

Today, psychologists still use the phrase “Martha Mitchell Effect” to refer to someone whose descriptions of real experiences are incorrectly labeled delusions.

Me:

Season two is about the Clinton impeachment. I found both to be fascinating.

Active Topics

Most reactions - Past 7 days