I just finished Fair Warning

Gdjjr

Platinum Member
Oct 25, 2019
Texas
Good read by Michael Connelly

Veteran reporter Jack McEvoy has taken down killers before, but when a woman he had a one-night stand with is murdered in a particularly brutal way, McEvoy realizes he might be facing a criminal mind unlike any he's ever encountered.

McEvoy investigates---against the warnings of the police and his own editor---and makes a shocking discovery that connects the crime to other mysterious deaths across the country. But his inquiry hits a snag when he himself becomes a suspect.

As he races to clear his name, McEvoy's findings point to a serial killer working under the radar of law enforcement for years, and using personal data shared by the victims themselves to select and hunt his targets.

Called "the Raymond Chandler of this generation" (Associated Press), Michael Connelly once again delivers an unputdownable thriller that reveals a predator operating from the darkest corners of human nature---and one man courageous and determined enough to stand in his way

Veteran reporter Jack McEvoy has taken down killers before, but when a woman he had a one-night stand with is murdered in a particularly brutal way, McEvoy realizes he might be facing a criminal mind unlike any he's ever encountered.

McEvoy investigates---against the warnings of the police and his own editor---and makes a shocking discovery that connects the crime to other mysterious deaths across the country. But his inquiry hits a snag when he himself becomes a suspect.

As he races to clear his name, McEvoy's findings point to a serial killer working under the radar of law enforcement for years, and using personal data shared by the victims themselves to select and hunt his targets.

Called "the Raymond Chandler of this generation" (Associated Press), Michael Connelly once again delivers an unputdownable thriller that reveals a predator operating from the darkest corners of human nature---and one man courageous and determined enough to stand in his way

Have read all the Connelly Harry Bosch Novels. but few of the Lincoln Lawyer series and none of the McEvoy books. Does not surprise me, it was a good read. Michael Connelly is a great mystery / police procedural writer.
BTW. What was that book you recommended one morning about two week ago? I was reading the latest Craig Johnson Longmire book at the time and could not remember the title of what you recommended when I finished.

Last edited:

Yea, yea, yea, it's called the Clinton biographies.

No originality.

Big fan.

I read the ones with the √

Books in published order:
The Black Echo (1992)√
The Black Ice (1993)√
The Concrete Blonde (1994)√
The Last Coyote (1995)√
Trunk Music (1997)√
Angels Flight (1999)√
A Darkness More Than Night (2001)√
City Of Bones (2002)√
Lost Light (2003)√
The Narrows (2004)√
The Closers (2005)√
Echo Park (2006)√
The Overlook (2007)√
The Brass Verdict (2008)
Nine Dragons (2009)√
The Reversal (2010)√
The Fifth Witness (2011) (one page brief appearance)√
The Drop (2011)√
The Black Box (2012)√
The Gods of Guilt (2013) (one page brief appearance)√
The Burning Room (2014)√

The Crossing (2015)√
The Wrong Side Of Goodbye (Coming November 2016)

Mickey Haller Series:

Mickey Haller Background: Born in 1965 in Los Angeles to a B-list movie actress from Mexico and the famous criminal defense attorney, J. Michael Haller. He was named after his father, who died when Mickey was five. After law school, he worked in the Public Defenders’ Office for about 3 years. He left and went into private practice as a criminal defense attorney, opening up Michael Haller and Associates.

Books in published order:
The Lincoln Lawyer (2005)
The Brass Verdict (2008)
Nine Dragons (2009) (small part)
The Reversal (2010)√
The Fifth Witness (2011)√
The Gods of Guilt (2013)√

Other Main Characters

Rachel Walling Appearances:

The Poet (1996)√
The Narrows (2004)
Echo Park (2006)
The Overlook (2007)
The Scarecrow (2009)
The Reversal (2010) (small part)√
The Black Box (2012) (small part)√
The Burning Room (2014, brief appearance)

Jack McEvoy Appearances:
The Poet (1996)√
A Darkness More Than Night (2001) (small part)
The Brass Verdict (2008) (small part)
The Scarecrow (2009)

Terry McCaleb Appearances:
Blood Work (1998)
A Darkness More Than Night (2001)
The Narrows (2004)

Cassie Black Appearances:
Void Moon (2000)
The Narrows (2004) (small part, using an alias)

• Banned
BTW. What was that book you recommended one morning about two week ago? I was reading the latest Craig Johnson Longmire book at the time and could not remember the title of what you recommended when I finished.
I don't recall- sorry.
I've read all the Longmire books- more than once- LOL-

My recent reads are

Back of Beyond, by C.J. Box ( I really like his stories as they take place in the west)

The River Murders, by James Patterson with James O. Born

Revenge, by James Patterson with

A Time For Mercy, by John Grisham

I just started Chasing Darkness, by Robert Crais-

• Banned
BTW, James Patterson has written some good stories that have been made into movies- I'm not really a fan of his, but he has written some good stuff- I do agree with something he has said. This ain't verbatim, but; the reason a person hasn't read a book is because he hasn't found the right one.

That said, it requires reading which doesn't seem to be something that is a common trait amongst the so-called politically informed on typical message boards-

The thing I like about reading books is there is nearly always something of value in every story that can be applied to every day life which is the reason I've adopted (and maybe even) coined the phrase; knowledge isn't biased in its origin- my one regret in life is that I'm not a story teller- well, not in book form. I have written some songs (which are just mini stories) and I've written a book- but, it ain't a story.

James Lee Burke is good for quotes that have a deeper meaning- deeper being key. Not many political message board posters are very deep thinkers.

I don't recall- sorry.
I've read all the Longmire books- more than once- LOL-

My recent reads are

Back of Beyond, by C.J. Box ( I really like his stories as they take place in the west)

The River Murders, by James Patterson with James O. Born

Revenge, by James Patterson with

A Time For Mercy, by John Grisham

I just started Chasing Darkness, by Robert Crais-
C.J. Box had a lot of recommendations on Kindle book store for me last night as I was looking for a new read, but I have none in my collection. I did not find something that struck me and like you I considered a re-read of Longmire, Bosch, or a Robert B Parker Jesse Stone novel.

• Banned
C.J. Box had a lot of recommendations on Kindle book store for me last night as I was looking for a new read, but I have none in my collection. I did not find something that struck me and like you I considered a re-read of Longmire, Bosch, or a Robert B Parker Jesse Stone novel.
CJ Box has some good stories- his descriptions of the west make me wish I lived there even more than I already do- but to each his own. His Joe Pickett stories are about a Game Warden who stumbles into more trouble than most of us ever see in a lifetime of trouble- he has a buddy, Nate Romanowski, who is EX SPEC ops and is one bad dude- as in B.A.D.- they are entertaining and thriller/mysteries- similar to Longmire in that everything that happens is usually very remote-

I've been racking my brain trying to recall what I recommended to you and the only thing I can come up with is Mike Blakeley, since, I vaguely remember saying I had a pretty good library of westerns and named off a few- and IIRC we were discussing westerns- for some reason, Comanche Dawn is coming to mind

CJ Box has some good stories- his descriptions of the west make me wish I lived there even more than I already do- but to each his own. His Joe Pickett stories are about a Game Warden who stumbles into more trouble than most of us ever see in a lifetime of trouble- he has a buddy, Nate Romanowski, who is EX SPEC ops and is one bad dude- as in B.A.D.- they are entertaining and thriller/mysteries- similar to Longmire in that everything that happens is usually very remote-

I've been racking my brain trying to recall what I recommended to you and the only thing I can come up with is Mike Blakeley, since, I vaguely remember saying I had a pretty good library of westerns and named off a few- and IIRC we were discussing westerns- for some reason, Comanche Dawn is coming to mind
I'll try C.J. Box, on recommendation and it appears there must be a bunch out there. It is a pain finding a new author and character of interest and having to wait for the next book to come out, or they lose interest or story ideas with their main character (like the Bosch novels) or up and die, turning the character over some other writer.

I'll try C.J. Box, on recommendation and it appears there must be a bunch out there. It is a pain finding a new author and character of interest and having to wait for the next book to come out, or they lose interest or story ideas with their main character (like the Bosch novels) or up and die, turning the character over some other writer.
Yes- and try to start with the first one and do them chronologically-
BTW, when Ace Atkins writes for Robert B. Parker, it's hard to tell who is the original- he, (Atkins) also has some of his own work, The Ranger is a good one- also, Nick Petrie has some really good ones- CJ Box says about him: “Nonstop action at a machine gun pace. If you aren’t reading Nick Petrie, now is the time to start.

Harlen Coben has some really good stories, though they do lean a bit to the chick flick side they are good stories-

Gregg Iles has some really good ones too- he has a series of 3 books, each over 800 pages that'll keep you busy for a while-
1614202556044.png

I am four books into the Special Agent Pendergast books by Lincoln Child and Douglas Preston. Very good, a bit spooky and very fastbpaced.

I am four books into the Special Agent Pendergast books by Lincoln Child and Douglas Preston. Very good, a bit spooky and very fastbpaced.
Had Douglas Preston associated only with sci-fi after the book Blasphemy and a few others.

Had Douglas Preston associated only with sci-fi after the book Blasphemy and a few others.
Sci fi? Really. These might be some twisted up police procedurals but they are still police procedurals. More like Sherlock Holmes.

Forum List

Back