I Agree With AOC On This One

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
Pretty rare to find myself agreeing with AOC and Bernie Sanders, on just about anything, but once in a while it can happen. It has, with their opposition to the $908 billion bipartisan Stimulus proposal unveiled earlier this week, by House and Senate moderates, which is at the center of the current negotiations, over a relief package, and does not include any direct payments.

Nope. I'm not accepting that either. Call me an opportunist if you like, but I am one of the millions of Americans included in the 6.7% (still a bit high) unemployed group, and not eligible for any type of aid in this stimulus package. I see no reason to exclude the $1200 direct payments, as was done in last Spring's stimulus.

I also see no reason to think that paying out $1200 to people of low incomes (this time the bar could be lower), would not stimulate the economy. Of course it would. I live in a quite low-rent housing community, of mostly low income people. Many people here don't own a car, which is damn near being a necessity, if it isn't one. The $1200 checks would help in that regard immensely. Lower income people have a list a mile long of things to buy, and are not inclined to save money, when they need things. A new round of $1200 stimulus checks would help them, as well as the businesses they shop at.

It also wouldn't hurt those congressmen who vote for it, when election time rolls around (if we still HAVE an election system at all, at this point).

Progressives push for direct payments to be included in COVID-19 relief deal (msn.com)

Boy this thread is really flying, isn't it? In another forum, this same OP/thread, posted simultaneously, is up to post # 73 already. Here, it's at Post # 4 (including this one). :doubt:

Pretty rare to find myself agreeing with AOC and Bernie Sanders, on just about anything, but once in a while it can happen. It has, with their opposition to the $908 billion bipartisan Stimulus proposal unveiled earlier this week, by House and Senate moderates, which is at the center of the current negotiations, over a relief package, and does not include any direct payments.

Nope. I'm not accepting that either. Call me an opportunist if you like, but I am one of the millions of Americans included in the 6.7% (still a bit high) unemployed group, and not eligible for any type of aid in this stimulus package. I see no reason to exclude the $1200 direct payments, as was done in last Spring's stimulus.

I also see no reason to think that paying out $1200 to people of low incomes (this time the bar could be lower), would not stimulate the economy. Of course it would. I live in a quite low-rent housing community, of mostly low income people. Many people here don't own a car, which is damn near being a necessity, if it isn't one. The $1200 checks would help in that regard immensely. Lower income people have a list a mile long of things to buy, and are not inclined to save money, when they need things. A new round of $1200 stimulus checks would help them, as well as the businesses they shop at.

It also wouldn't hurt those congressmen who vote for it, when election time rolls around (if we still HAVE an election system at all, at this point).

Progressives push for direct payments to be included in COVID-19 relief deal (msn.com)

If landlords are going to expect people to just hand over their stimulus checks to them, as has happened, the government may as well not issue them at all.,

If landlords are going to expect people to just hand over their stimulus checks to them, as has happened, the government may as well not issue them at all.,
That doesn't make sense. With the stimulus checks, they an pay their rents, while they are unemployed from lockdown. Without the checks they CANNOT pay those rents.

Put that money into infrastructure.

How about getting jobs for Americans that are unemployed. Infrastructure will take a long time to see any real jobs and when those jobs end, we will be back to square one. At least those in need that have been laid off, should get something. The businesses that aren’t coming back, the jobs that are now gone, they need something. They are victims and it is wrong to not at least throw them a crumb of the several trillion slated to be spent.

Highways don't help much, when you don't have a car.

But you have to admit that it is nice to have running water, shit disposal from your domicile... I believe that is part of the infrastructure that is crumbling all through out our wonderful Country...
It's not nice. I'm not talking about paying for clean running water, shit disposal from my house. That's paid for in my local real estate taxes every year. And doing quite well.
I'm talking about Big Projects. Air traffic control (ATC).

How about getting jobs for Americans that are unemployed. Infrastructure will take a long time to see any real jobs and when those jobs end, we will be back to square one. At least those in need that have been laid off, should get something. The businesses that aren’t coming back, the jobs that are now gone, they need something. They are victims and it is wrong to not at least throw them a crumb of the several trillion slated to be spent.
Talk to the Impeached, One Term POTUS DJT about that, if you are so concerned. I mean really, he had 4 years to prove he could MAGA. And what did he do? What the fuck did he do? Just look at the coal jobs numbers.

Talk to the Impeached, One Term POTUS DJT about that, if you are so concerned. I mean really, he had 4 years to prove he could MAGA. And what did he do? What the fuck did he do? Just look at the coal jobs numbers.

So you like everyone else just say infrastructure and blame someone else. Got it you have absolutely NOTHING.

So you like everyone else just say infrastructure and blame someone else. Got it you have absolutely NOTHING.
Nope. I'm talkin' hardcore infrastructure projects in this country that get folks education, moving and paychecks (Think Coal Jobs.) This is what DJT should have done instead of being a Huskter.

Nope. I'm talkin' hardcore infrastructure projects in this country that get folks education, moving and paychecks (Think Coal Jobs.) This is what DJT should have done instead of being a Huskter.

our future is in coal? That is pretty stupid.

I was referring to infrastructure and education options for coal miners. Come on now, this isn't hard.

I was referring to infrastructure and education options for coal miners. Come on now, this isn't hard.

It is when you are vague. What infrastructure? What education options? They aren’t the only ones hit hard by the virus, so what do you do with the hundred millions more?

Bullshit.
As noted in the news the first bribe payments... video game sales and other electronics - ALL MADE IN CHINA - was the real winner.
People didn't use the money for necessities. THey blew it on crap just like they do when they get any money.

It is when you are vague. What infrastructure? What education options? They aren’t the only ones hit hard by the virus, so what do you do with the hundred millions more?
I wasn't even referring to the virus stimulus. Anyway, go your own way.

Forum List

Back