Hunting small game

Dont get all excited.
But if you eat meat and dont mind shooting a deer I dont see why you'd have a problem with eating a rabbit.

I don't like venison, tastes nasty.
Won't eat squirrel or dove or rabbit.
I have had quail though. Didn't really have any taste to it. Were too small to be really worth eating.

Hence the question..........why bother hunting something so small when there's not much to them?! Duh

Don't like snake, frog, octopus, or snails either. Although squid is ok, but it doesn't have much taste to it either.

I guess if you're stocking up for the winter or something, I supposed hunting in quantity is viable. But still. Thats a lot of effort to cleaning each and every little bitty thing in order to have enough of them to make one meal out of. I would think it would be easier to hunt something larger, where it would make more than one meal and worth the time cleaning and prepping it.

If there are any hunters on here.......maybe you can answer this.........

WHY do people hunt small game? Specifically targets like quail, frog, dove, squirrel, and other similar sized animals.

They are literally too small to have any meat on them. And I've had quail before, and there was literally NO meat on it (had to eat 5 of them to even get anything from the dinner). I can't imagine there being much of anything on these small animals. So why waste resources hunting them? I don't get it.

Anything the size of a chicken or duck I get, but not anything smaller than your hand. Doesn't make sense.

1 Dove Breast resting on ...
Long chunk of Monterrey Jack Cheese sitting in ...
Half a Jalapeno Pepper cut in the shape of a boat ...
Wrap the whole thing in a slice of Wright's Peppered Bacon ...
Run a toothpick through it and smoke on the grill for a while.

Of course the recipe may vary, but very tasty.

1641681686187.png

I don't like venison, tastes nasty.
Won't eat squirrel or dove or rabbit.
I have had quail though. Didn't really have any taste to it. Were too small to be really worth eating.

Hence the question..........why bother hunting something so small when there's not much to them?! Duh

Don't like snake, frog, octopus, or snails either. Although squid is ok, but it doesn't have much taste to it either.

I guess if you're stocking up for the winter or something, I supposed hunting in quantity is viable. But still. Thats a lot of effort to cleaning each and every little bitty thing in order to have enough of them to make one meal out of. I would think it would be easier to hunt something larger, where it would make more than one meal and worth the time cleaning and prepping it.

No shrimp or crawfish?

Most hunters simply are too cowardly to hunt something that could shoot back...even though that is their true lust.

:fu:
Who says it's their true lust.? Whoever they are, they are wrong. People who kill for a thrill are not allowed in my camp :itsok:and I have never met anyone who hunts for a thrill kill.

Lol, they taste good. Kinda pissed if ya only get one. You would be surprised the meat ya get off frog. Many times I would rather clean frog than duck. The other day I was dragging a doe up a really steep hill by myself and thinking I should have went rabbit hunting instead. My old ass was winded by the time I got to the top and still had three football fields to get back to the truck.

Cleaning Duck sucks, rabbits stink too much. I prefer to hunt Pheasant.

Cleaning Duck sucks, rabbits stink too much. I prefer to hunt Pheasant.
I like my rabbit stew. There just is no pheasant in my area. I know some areas south of me where they can be found but I lack permission to hunt any ground in those areas. Getting permission to hunt seems to be getting harder every year. I already lease about as much ground as I can justify. Rabbit hunting has also been increasingly difficult every year. There are just less rabbit than there use to be. Never tasted pheasant. I have a buddy that started raising them a couple years back but have not been down to see him in four years. I am currently planning a trip in November to head that way. God willing I get to taste it in November.

I like my rabbit stew. There just is no pheasant in my area. I know some areas south of me where they can be found but I lack permission to hunt any ground in those areas. Getting permission to hunt seems to be getting harder every year. I already lease about as much ground as I can justify. Rabbit hunting has also been increasingly difficult every year. There are just less rabbit than there use to be. Never tasted pheasant. I have a buddy that started raising them a couple years back but have not been down to see him in four years. I am currently planning a trip in November to head that way. God willing I get to taste it in November.
Pheasant is so lean it has to be cooked flavors or there is no real tats. I prefer Garlic

Pheasant is so lean it has to be cooked flavors or there is no real tats. I prefer Garlic
Hope to find out in November This was my last year running duck trips. Found a young fellow to take it over. I will stay first few days of season to hunt then turn over to him. Wanna spend a few weeks this year in South Carolina with my buddy that raises pheasant. Do some boar hunting with and see Turtle Island preserve. Then on down to the keys. I wanna learn some deep sea fishing and maybe expand into that in the future. Getting to old to spend so many days a week out in the cold. Time to set up life to stay in the sun. So many of my friends are fleeing to the south during the winter. I have been spending winter with the young bucks lately. I enjoy hunting with these guys but I am losing a step or two on them every year.

Hope to find out in November This was my last year running duck trips. Found a young fellow to take it over. I will stay first few days of season to hunt then turn over to him. Wanna spend a few weeks this year in South Carolina with my buddy that raises pheasant. Do some boar hunting with and see Turtle Island preserve. Then on down to the keys. I wanna learn some deep sea fishing and maybe expand into that in the future. Getting to old to spend so many days a week out in the cold. Time to set up life to stay in the sun. So many of my friends are fleeing to the south during the winter. I have been spending winter with the young bucks lately. I enjoy hunting with these guys but I am losing a step or two on them every year.

I get it :) A few years back I went to Mexico to Fish, on Tues that week I caught 4 10 lb Bass and on Weds I caught the Billfish I'd been chasing for 20 years :)

Because they're tasty, plentiful, and easy to hunt. Get enough of them and you have a good meal, without having to deal with large animals that require dressing, processing, and storage.

This.

Small game is much, much more plentiful, easy to prepare, and generally healthier than big game.

I get it :) A few years back I went to Mexico to Fish, on Tues that week I caught 4 10 lb Bass and on Weds I caught the Billfish I'd been chasing for 20 years :)
I enjoy fishing a lot more than hunting these days. My eyes and ears are not what they use to be. Both are pretty important to hunting. Dragging dear through the woods is getting old also. Just to old to do it as work. When work starts to feel like work time to look for better means of income. I can still fish from sun up to sun down and not get tired of it. It takes at least four years to get to know water and fish patterns to get to where I feel comfortable starting a business on it. Running out of time to get deep sea charters going and enjoy it my self. My son in law is joining me on lake Erie this year I hope to get him to where he can run that show in the next three to four years. Meanwhile I will run winter's in the south learning that. If all goes well will start my own thing down south in three years state year round for a couple then six north six south every year

Forum List

Back