How's the forum?

Hi. I'm Jesse. I've noticed that a lot of politics forums have a problem with moderation. It's either too lax, or even nonexistent, and you can't have a reasonable debate because there's no order, or it's too heavy-handed, and you can't have a resonable debate because moderators will use their power to suppress opposing viewpoints.

This site seems pretty good from a quick glance, but what do you guys have to say about it?

Hey there, Jesse..

I am hoping you will find we are a fair team here at USMB...it may help to read the rules and guidelines before you dive in,
here: USMB Rules and Guidelines then go ahead and feel free to explore the board. :)

zapwelcome1_zps2500d339.jpg

Enjoy..:)

You never showed me the rules or told me there were any..... I don't feel cared about here.. I'm feeling sad...
th

But the mods at the other place are Gods, Chris, GODS. Who are you to deny them the worship they have convinced themselves they deserve?

...Gardener?

Hi. I'm Jesse. I've noticed that a lot of politics forums have a problem with moderation. It's either too lax, or even nonexistent, and you can't have a reasonable debate because there's no order, or it's too heavy-handed, and you can't have a resonable debate because moderators will use their power to suppress opposing viewpoints.

This site seems pretty good from a quick glance, but what do you guys have to say about it?

Welcome to the forum, dude!

I think you'll find the atmosphere here more to your liking than some other forums out there. ;)

...Gathomas?

Good grief. Lurk for a little while and make your own mind up from the evidence in front of your own eyes.

Good grief. Lurk for a little while and make your own mind up from the evidence in front of your own eyes.

Huh. Hadn't considered trying that course of action. Thanks, llarMeilyr!

Huh. Hadn't considered trying that course of action. Thanks, llarMeilyr!

LOL.

I enjoy an occasional bit of banter with someone who is clearly putting up a front.

Sock or non-sock, that was funny.

...Gardener?

Guilty as charged.

and if I can continue to make generalized statements about no forum in particular, I would say that when a forum's very existence acts as nothing more than a vehicle for the insatiable egos of those given absolute power over others, then the very act of wielding that power becomes like a drug to them.

The very people who do not have to justify anything they do, and who rule with an iron fist completely unaccountable for their own actions are the very ones lecturing others on accountability.

...Gardener?

Guilty as charged.

and if I can continue to make generalized statements about no forum in particular, I would say that when a forum's very existence acts as nothing more than a vehicle for the insatiable egos of those given absolute power over others, then the very act of wielding that power becomes like a drug to them.

The very people who do not have to justify anything they do, and who rule with an iron fist completely unaccountable for their own actions are the very ones lecturing others on accountability.

I like my free speech! :biggrin: I like being able to post things and not have people be able to move it to other parts of the forum where it can be taken out of context. I like the fact that there is a lot more HONESTY on this board when it comes to moderation, even in the Flame Zone section.

Here, you can have small conversations on the funny pictures threads and not get banned from the thread for talking, as if you are in grade school. Lol. :lol: Goodness, talk about overbearing mommy state.

I like my free speech! :biggrin: I like being able to post things and not have people be able to move it to other parts of the forum where it can be taken out of context. I like the fact that there is a lot more HONESTY on this board when it comes to moderation, even in the Flame Zone section.

I can only speak in generalities, of course, but what sets apart this form of interaction from that of our daily lives is the anonymity. Because people are anonymous, they are much more likely to express thoughts they would be reluctant to express in person, and they are also much more aggressive.

Now, the approach as to how to handle this can go in various directions. A forum can allow the aggressive speech, the hate speech and all the crazy crap but also allow people to respond to it much as they do in real life. "Kill the Jews" results in "You're a fucking asshole" A different approach would be to limit the hate speech and the aggressiveness to begin with, by not allowing somebody to say "kill the Jews" so you wouldn't have the response. The third option, however, is the one myopic individuals too often take where they allow all the aggression and hate speech, but then punish those who react to it. "Kill the Jews" results in "You're a fucking asshole idiot" results in a "You have just received an infraction".

That that third approach makes the website an active participant in the hate speech since they are taking such a role in enabling it though the elimination of its natural consequences.

I can only speak in generalities, of course, but what sets apart this form of interaction from that of our daily lives is the anonymity. Because people are anonymous, they are much more likely to express thoughts they would be reluctant to express in person, and they are also much more aggressive.

Now, the approach as to how to handle this can go in various directions. A forum can allow the aggressive speech, the hate speech and all the crazy crap but also allow people to respond to it much as they do in real life. "Kill the Jews" results in "You're a fucking asshole" A different approach would be to limit the hate speech and the aggressiveness to begin with, by not allowing somebody to say "kill the Jews" so you wouldn't have the response. The third option, however, is the one myopic individuals too often take where they allow all the aggression and hate speech, but then punish those who react to it. "Kill the Jews" results in "You're a fucking asshole idiot" results in a "You have just received an infraction".

That that third approach makes the website an active participant in the hate speech since they are taking such a role in enabling it though the elimination of its natural consequences.

Well, I look at it a bit differently in that I like to know who those people are. Why bother having a message board if you are going to have to stifle your TRUE feelings? What the hell is the point in that? Then, it becomes like a bunch of phonies playing niceties with each other. No thanks. BOORING. Lol. :D Besides, there are limits to what you can get away with even here. People do get banned from this site too and temporary suspensions.

I just want to know what to expect before I decide whether to stay or not.

This forum is pretty open-minded. There are regulations but basically no rules against personal insults unless you are in the CDZ (Clean Debate Zone) - and in some zones flaming is not allowed, while in the Taunting Area, the (Flame Zone, The Badlands and Rubber Room) you can practically go ape shit with insults.

You are not allowed to attack family members in any zone....they are not here to defend themselves, and some members try to insult you by bringing them in.....that can get you banned. The right-wingers are in a bit of butt hurt right now and make insults even here (Introduction area), where they are not supposed to, but some are too dumb to realize it.

Hope you have fun posting here, no matter what side your on.

All the cool people that played fast and loose with the rules got banned. lol

I thought your user name seemed familiar. :D

lol. I wasn't referring to you. I doubt you whine or report ppl. Where ever you stand on any particular issue, you are generally a free thinker. Your ego isn't vested in being right all the time. Not so much that you need to report folks having fun and get nasty about rules violations. That's what killed the fun in this place.

Mostly the site has degraded since 2012 because of the hyper sensitive PC police and sticklers for the rules that constantly tattle on their fellow forum mates. Remember when we were kids and there was this code that you don't snitch and you had fun? Well, this place isn't as fun as it used to be because those types of folks killed the fun.

When I incur a code violation, I disappear for a few months till it drops from my record. That's how I manage to hang on. I don't NEED this place like the addicts do, but I like to watch it wither and change with the character of the nation.

In other words, you're not that important, here......:D

lol. I wasn't referring to you. I doubt you whine or report ppl. Where ever you stand on any particular issue, you are generally a free thinker. Your ego isn't vested in being right all the time. Not so much that you need to report folks having fun and get nasty about rules violations. That's what killed the fun in this place.

Mostly the site has degraded since 2012 because of the hyper sensitive PC police and sticklers for the rules that constantly tattle on their fellow forum mates. Remember when we were kids and there was this code that you don't snitch and you had fun? Well, this place isn't as fun as it used to be because those types of folks killed the fun.

When I incur a code violation, I disappear for a few months till it drops from my record. That's how I manage to hang on. I don't NEED this place like the addicts do, but I like to watch it wither and change with the character of the nation.

This sounds a lot like what I was worried about. Just how bad is the constant taddling you mentioned?

Depends on your political position.

If you are free thinker, moderate or a conservative and you violate ANY of the rules and happen to be in a thread where you are pissing off someone that is an "Obamabot", kiss your ass goodbye, you're getting a violation.

There is even a program funded by the administration that has put out unpaid interns on the internet to populate forums and social media to do the administration's bidding. Make no mistake, they know what they are doing. Since 2012, this forum, which had a decidedly freedom and liberty flavor, has taken a turn toward the progressive leaning. Even though I would have to say, a slight majority of it's membership is STILL conservative. It is kind of queer actually.

lol

You sound like a whiner to me.

But the mods at the other place are Gods, Chris, GODS. Who are you to deny them the worship they have convinced themselves they deserve?

...Gardener?

Welcome to the forum, dude!

I think you'll find the atmosphere here more to your liking than some other forums out there. ;)

...Gathomas?

Speaking. Lol

...Gardener?

Guilty as charged.

Hmmmm...

Might you be speaking of a certain poster - of a rather ironically "courteous" nominal disposition - on the "no forum in particular" in question here?

Lol

Hmmmm...

Might you be speaking of a certain poster - of a rather ironically "courteous" nominal disposition - on the "no forum in particular" in question here?

Lol

This is all hypothetical, of course, but were I to ruminate on the potentialities of various internet discussion groups, and imagine a personality type more or less predisposed towards megalomania, I would be willing to go so far as to suggest this sort of moniker might be selected by one such individual. Left to my own rather far-reaching imagination, however, I would certainly be willing to consider the possibility that this is not the only such similar personality on said hypothetical board.

Forum List

Back