CDZ How Would You Enhance/Fix the Olympics?

Too many cities are realizing the Olympics are a losing proposition. They build mega million facilities that are only used for two weeks and then abandoned. Most lack the hotel and mass transit infrastructure to handle the influx of people.

They should choose four permanent host cities in different continents and rotate the olympics
Of course that would stop the bribe train that goes straight to IOC headquarters...can't have that can we? LOL

I do think that once every 20 years of so, they should stage it in a place that either hasn't hosted it before or that can ramp up the infrastructure in a responsible manner and award it to a nation; not a city. Or maybe even a group of nations like Scandanavia or Central Africa.

The question is about fixing the games themselves; please do not go off on athlete behavior. You did stupid things when you were young too. Also, keep in mind this is the CDZ.... Please try to stay on topic and stay civil.

Two things come to mind on how to "fix" the games.

First off, it's no secret that the stadiums quickly become useless once the games leave town. They often fall into disrepair and become a sore spot with the local populous.

Here is a slideshow by ABC News

So my solution would be to do what the NFL did so successfully for several years with the Super Bowl. They rotated it from Miami to the Rose Bowl to New Orleans. Everyone loved it; the hotels were close by, the venues were mint.... Just rotate the Summer Olympics through 3 or 4 cities that have the infrastructure already in place and, of course, are willing to hold the Olympics. Los Angeles and Paris come to mind for example.. University Stadiums, roads, multi-cultural populations, airports, etc... are already in place. There doesn't need to be a lot of new construction for venues. And maybe every fifth Summer Games have a NATION put together a responsible bid that takes into account what will happen after the games leave. By utilizing a whole nation, you prevent a city from building a bunch of soccer stadiums it doesn't need for example. You may not have a great swimming venue in Toronto...but they may have a great one in Montreal; use it!

Secondly, the Winter Olympics should be expanded to include an awful lot more sports (more about this later) taking many from the Summer Olympics. Is there any reason that the martial arts, Basketball, Boxing, or handball can't be in the Winter Olympics? The largest benefit will be that these sports may (and should in my opinion) get more exposure.

Here are the 24 Winter Olympic events...
View attachment 517883

Vs the 50 Summer Olympic events...
View attachment 517881
Even it out. Weightlifting can be done at a Winter Olympics, right?

----

What else would I do? Glad you asked....

• I would stop the repeat Olympians who compete/medal for more than two Olympic Games. You get two in the same event and your are done. I say two Olympics because I would give someone a mulligan in case you don't do well. But I don't want to penalize someone who does well either. So you get two games in the same events....that's it. Now, if you're a swimmer who competes only in the 100M Backstroke for example in 2000 and 2004...feel free to come back in 2008 competing in the 2008 Olympics in the 200M Backstroke or any sport other than the 100M Backstroke. If you can make the team...no problem there.
  • I would have a lot more sports than is currently in the Olympics. I'd stop calling them sports for one thing. I'd say events or activities. If there is an activity that someone does on five continents (I think that is the acid test) that both genders can participate in...sure. Go for it. I wouldn't have poker or gambling...and no...not ballroom dancing. Cornhole...sure. Darts...sure. Axe throwing? Sure. Even Log Rolling. I'm not sure when the Olympics became some sort of "us" and "them" proposition as to where you need to start at the age of 5 and work daily until you're 16 to go to the games. I reject that premise. So I believe that other activities should be included and encouraged.
  • Limit athletes to either their nation of birth or make it to where they will have to had to have been a citizen of the nation they are competing for...for a certain amount of time....5 plus years I'd say. If America only sends two decathletes to the Olympics and you're the third best...you are an alternate. Sorry. You don't get to go as a Canadian because your Mom was Canadian or whatever.
  • Needless to say this as well...if you have outdoor plumbing, you compete as a man; indoor plumbing, you compete as a woman.
Some thoughts there.

What are yours. Please leave the politics out of it for a change.
Build permanent venues in Olympia not far from the original a sacred site. Get rid of the silly sports.

Too many cities are realizing the Olympics are a losing proposition. They build mega million facilities that are only used for two weeks and then abandoned. Most lack the hotel and mass transit infrastructure to handle the influx of people.

They should choose four permanent host cities in different continents and rotate the olympics

They can't steal nearly as much money doing that. The IOC is one of the most corrupt organizations out there.

The one suggestion I have is to only locate the Olympics in cities with decent air quality. The finest athletes in the world should not be made to breathe in the toxic sludge they call air in Chinese Cities.

The games were fine...the after effects were a disaster. Some theorized that the subsequent financial ruin was as a result of the money borrowed for the Olympics.
I visited Athens seven years after the Olympics. There were riots in the street due to the financial collapse. The Olympic village and venues were overgrown with weeds and covered in graffiti.

I don’t think Greece could ever host again

Also, keep in mind this is the CDZ.... Please try to stay on topic and stay civil.

Some thoughts there.

What are yours.

Yeah, no, sorry, the site guidelines simply do not permit for me to respond.

• Administrator and Moderator Official Posts are generally Posted in Red. They are Directives. Please adhere to them. Do Not Neg Rep them. Do Not Comment on them.

I tell ya. Some people...

The question is about fixing the games themselves; please do not go off on athlete behavior. You did stupid things when you were young too. Also, keep in mind this is the CDZ.... Please try to stay on topic and stay civil.

First off, it's no secret that the stadiums quickly become useless once the games leave town. They often fall into disrepair and become a sore spot with the local populous.

So my solution would be to do what the NFL did so successfully for several years with the Super Bowl. They rotated it from Miami to the Rose Bowl to New Orleans. Everyone loved it; the hotels were close by, the venues were mint.... Just rotate the Summer Olympics through 3 or 4 cities that have the infrastructure already in place and, of course, are willing to hold the Olympics. Los Angeles and Paris come to mind for example.. University Stadiums, roads, multi-cultural populations, airports, etc... are already in place. There doesn't need to be a lot of new construction for venues. And maybe every fifth Summer Games have a NATION put together a responsible bid that takes into account what will happen after the games leave. By utilizing a whole nation, you prevent a city from building a bunch of soccer stadiums it doesn't need for example. You may not have a great swimming venue in Toronto...but they may have a great one in Montreal; use it!

Secondly, the Winter Olympics should be expanded to include an awful lot more sports (more about this later) taking many from the Summer Olympics. Is there any reason that the martial arts, Basketball, Boxing, or handball can't be in the Winter Olympics? The largest benefit will be that these sports may (and should in my opinion) get more exposure.

View attachment 517883

View attachment 517881

----

• I would stop the repeat Olympians who compete/medal for more than two Olympic Games. You get two in the same event and your are done. I say two Olympics because I would give someone a mulligan in case you don't do well. But I don't want to penalize someone who does well either. So you get two games in the same events....that's it. Now, if you're a swimmer who competes only in the 100M Backstroke for example in 2000 and 2004...feel free to come back in 2008 competing in the 2008 Olympics in the 200M Backstroke or any sport other than the 100M Backstroke. If you can make the team...no problem there.
  • I would have a lot more sports than is currently in the Olympics. I'd stop calling them sports for one thing. I'd say events or activities. If there is an activity that someone does on five continents (I think that is the acid test) that both genders can participate in...sure. Go for it. I wouldn't have poker or gambling...and no...not ballroom dancing. Cornhole...sure. Darts...sure. Axe throwing? Sure. Even Log Rolling. I'm not sure when the Olympics became some sort of "us" and "them" proposition as to where you need to start at the age of 5 and work daily until you're 16 to go to the games. I reject that premise. So I believe that other activities should be included and encouraged.
  • Limit athletes to either their nation of birth or make it to where they will have to had to have been a citizen of the nation they are competing for...for a certain amount of time....5 plus years I'd say. If America only sends two decathletes to the Olympics and you're the third best...you are an alternate. Sorry. You don't get to go as a Canadian because your Mom was Canadian or whatever.
  • Needless to say this as well...if you have outdoor plumbing, you compete as a man; indoor plumbing, you compete as a woman.
Some thoughts there.

No more political bullshit.

View attachment 517883

View attachment 517881

----

Some thoughts there.

My only issue has been with the venues having to build up infrastructure that gets wasted. I like watching obscure sports like ping pong and new sports like skateboarding or mountain biking.

I also don't mind the pro's in the more organized sports playing, it should be the best of the best.

My only issue has been with the venues having to build up infrastructure that gets wasted. I like watching obscure sports like ping pong and new sports like skateboarding or mountain biking.

I also don't mind the pro's in the more organized sports playing, it should be the best of the best.

I don't mind the pros per-say. There seems to be a lack of urgency to professionals playing at the Olympics
I agree with you about the venues which is why I think it may be a good idea to let a nation or group of nations host them. I don't know if he was kidding or not but supposedly in 2024 when Paris hosts the games, the surfing will be done in Martinique in the West Indies. It's a French colony so it isn't exactly what I was talking about but something along those lines--just somewhere closer. I like the obscure sports too.

First thing I would do is forbid any and every form of protest, etc. If you do it, not only are you stripped of any medals you've won, but your entire team is stripped of any medals they've won. The entire team is then expelled from the Olympics, and that country may not participate until that country's case is reviewed by an Olympic court made up one representative of every country which competed in those games. A favorable vote of 2/3 must be attained in order to compete in the next games (summer or winter). Failure to realize that 2/3 majority will result in that country being suspended from Olympic competition for one winter games and one summer games.

Yeah, I'd start there...

Keep the events to track and field and have them last a week, that way we can all enjoy it and move on.

End them. The Olympics are somewhere between tragedy and farce and have been for years now.
I don’t think the Olympics will continue much longer in their current form.
Host cities are losing too much money

Forum List

Back