How will the advancement of tech ie (automation and IA) effect the job market? discuss

Deadtill10

Rookie
Sep 17, 2017
Will the advancement of automation on the road and in the factories create more demand for (specifically electrical/mechanical engineers) or less?

Whether due to China's ability to produce cheap engineers and or AI becoming advanced enough to take over that occupation field.

So you are saying it will create an increase in demand? (Country of origin aside)
Technology has always created more jobs than it has rendered redundant. Its just the timing issues that can cause the problem.

The main problem is inequality. Look at the number of people living in third world countries. They would all like an Iphone or a Jaguar. To sip a Jack Daniels on their veranda.

If their lifestyle was on a par with ours their would be a huge market for our goods and the corporations would not be able to play off one set of workers against another.

I don't know who you live but as a 24 year old my lifestyle looks nothing like that, i can't even afford a house for my family with my blue collar job.
The US will need to import at least a million workers from India......

So you are saying it will create an increase in demand? (Country of origin aside)
Technology has always created more jobs than it has rendered redundant. Its just the timing issues that can cause the problem.

The main problem is inequality. Look at the number of people living in third world countries. They would all like an Iphone or a Jaguar. To sip a Jack Daniels on their veranda.

If their lifestyle was on a par with ours their would be a huge market for our goods and the corporations would not be able to play off one set of workers against another.

I don't know who you live but as a 24 year old my lifestyle looks nothing like that, i can't even afford a house for my family with my blue collar job.

Why have you got a family that you cant afford to support ?

In the past, technology has created more jobs than it rendered redundant. But, AI might be a game changer. In the past, technology was useful, but brainless. So, even dumb humans could find work. But, what will dumb humans do in the future when machines are smarter than they are?

Nice try, key words " i can't even afford a house" nothing in there to suggest i can not support my family.

I was trying to provoke a thoughtful and hopefully informed discussion about our future as a working nation, if you intent is to trigger
then i would ask that you trot off to seek the keyboard pissing match you so desire.

Why have you got a family that you cant afford to support ?

On a daily basis...just like now.
Would you care to elaborate? I do not fully understand your statement.
Multi-National Corporations use any excuse to import cheap labor.
There are thousands of "Tech" companies today that will be gone in a year and yet they have lobbied Congress to import hundreds of thousands of Indian Business Visas to fill their seats because they are cheap and compliant.
And they're so good that I have to download the same dozen major Apps everyday in order to fix bugs.

In the past, technology has created more jobs than it rendered redundant. But, AI might be a game changer. In the past, technology was useful, but brainless. So, even dumb humans could find work. But, what will dumb humans do in the future when machines are smarter than they are?

There in lies the Issue, and the big question of my generation (how to stay relevant) in a time where every thing can change so rapidly and dramatically in the work force.

There are thousands of "Tech" companies today that will be gone in a year and yet they have lobbied Congress to import hundreds of thousands of Indian Business Visas to fill their seats because they are cheap and compliant.
And they're so good that I have to download the same dozen major Apps everyday in order to fix bugs.

Do you think IA will replace even these workers?

There in lies the Issue, and the big question of my generation (how to stay relevant) in a time where every thing can change so rapidly and dramatically in the work force.
Change is a constant. When I was 16 I was offered a "job for life" in a local bank.That bank shut a few years later. The job that you will do till retirement hasnt even been invented yet. Its a bit scary.

No; they are not sent back to India, they are absorbed into other industries to replace Americans.
Businesses will make up some nonsense that we need the Best & Brightest to press the On button and then use them as janitors.

Change is a constant. When I was 16 I was offered a "job for life" in a local bank.That bank shut a few years later. The job that you will do till retirement hasnt even been invented yet. Its a bit scary.

I agree it will be up to ones own foresight to succeed or not.
Logically what occupations do you think will last?

No; they are not sent back to India, they are absorbed into other industries to replace Americans.
Businesses will make up some nonsense that we need the Best & Brightest to press the On button and then use them as janitors.

That in mind where do you see the "common US laborer" in 15-20 years?

Slums with Smart Devices to keep them distracted.
Not too different from today.

Yes, almost anything you chose can be almost instantly obsoleted if the political winds blow in a certain direction. Most occupations will be preserved only by bureaucratic fiat, like teaching. It wouldn't be too hard to replace most teachers with educational software. Some high school teachers are already loosing jobs to online classes.

There are many winds blowing that will effect the future workplace. Any job requiring repetitive human labor will be automated.

Uber and Lyft are rapidly replacing Taxi Cab drivers and their employers.

Long distance truck drivers will be redundant in another 5 years due to AI.

Amazon's warehouses, aka Fulfillment Centers, are almost completely automated.

Steel Mills automated back in the 80s, three hundred doing the work once requiring 30K.

Foxconn moving to the USA and will hire around 5K to replace the one million left unemployed in China.

The current education system obsolete, ineffective and corrupt. It is ripe for innovation.

The US Military is automating as fast as budgets allow. There are only about one million men and women between the ages of 17 and 26 that are fully qualified, psychologically, mentally and physically for military service in the US. AI is a necessity.

Approximately 6K brick and mortar stores are scheduled to close in the next year due to competition from Amazon with Walmart moving up fast to catch up.

Their are new agricultural products coming online with amazing optronics, electronics, AI and machine enginering that will harvest all the farm products now done by unskilled labor.

Ad infinitum.

The social problems caused by all of this technology are yet to be fully understood or be addressed.

Chinese robot dentist is first to fit implants in patient’s mouth without any human involvement

Last edited:

Forum List

Back