How To Sell...

Canon Shooter

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2020
So, I'm lookinig at buying another boat. I'm looking for a "project:; something that runs and floats but needs some work to bring back its former glory.

So I find this 48', though they fail to mention the maker. It's certainly a bit of an older boat:

240526013_3781314658635108_7068693324525090777_n.jpg

Seems to fit that bill, though, and they're only asking $20K. A few red flags here and there, but nothing catastrophic.

Looking through the photos (which were far too few) when I come upon shots of what I'll assume are the master cabin.

Now, when you sell something online, there are certain rules you should follow. Selling a house? Turn all the lights on in every room you photograph. Selling a car? Give it a fresh was and make sure you get the trash out of the back seat. Selling a boat?

Make sure you put the bong away:

240605286_3781318935301347_2764943729203512084_n.jpg

240605286_3781318935301347_2764943729203512084_na.jpg

I thought it was funny.

And I still might buy it...

So, I'm lookinig at buying another boat. I'm looking for a "project:; something that runs and floats but needs some work to bring back its former glory.

So I find this 48', though they fail to mention the maker. It's certainly a bit of an older boat:

View attachment 548400

Seems to fit that bill, though, and they're only asking $20K. A few red flags here and there, but nothing catastrophic.

Looking through the photos (which were far too few) when I come upon shots of what I'll assume are the master cabin.

Now, when you sell something online, there are certain rules you should follow. Selling a house? Turn all the lights on in every room you photograph. Selling a car? Give it a fresh was and make sure you get the trash out of the back seat. Selling a boat?

View attachment 548409
View attachment 548410

I thought it was funny.

does the bong come with it??

View attachment 548400

View attachment 548409
View attachment 548410

I thought it was funny.

I like that style of boat.

Too good to be true low price, evidence of illicit drugs...

That's just asking for trouble.

Probably a drug smuggler's boat that also comes with a bonus 24/7 surveillance system, courtesy of the DEA.

Either that or it's stolen.

Last edited:
BOAT. Bust Out Another Thousand. A hole in the water to throw money in. Buying it is a happy day. The day you get rid of it will be even better.

View attachment 548400

View attachment 548409
View attachment 548410

I thought it was funny.

Well, imagine what else could have been left out

BOAT. Bust Out Another Thousand. A hole in the water to throw money in. Buying it is a happy day. The day you get rid of it will be even better.

Nah.

I've had mine for almost three years now, and we love it.

I see guys with boats the size of mine (I have a Viking 61) who are content with simply sitting dockside, sipping their wine and listening to the music coming from the patio of the marina restaurant. I guess that's fine, but I didn't spend what I did so I could sit in a marina. We'll normally get the boat underway four or five times a month, with two of those times being overnight or multi-night trips.

I've heard that old adage before about the happiest day being when you sell it, but I think the only people who truly believe that are those who don't take full advantage of their investment...

Too good to be true low price, evidence of illicit drugs...

That's just asking for trouble.

Probably a drug smuggler's boat that also comes with a bonus 24/7 surveillance system, courtesy of the DEA.

Either that or it's stolen.

I'm going to look at it on Saturday.

The boat's not been well kept, that's for sure. If you look in the first photo of the cabin, you can see where some trim work is coming down. Just looking at that one photo I can tell that the entire overhead needs to be replaced in that cabin. If I do that one, I might as well do them all.

We'll see. While I'm looking for a project, I'm certainly not looking for a project which is never-ending...

Nah.

I've had mine for almost three years now, and we love it.

I see guys with boats the size of mine (I have a Viking 61) who are content with simply sitting dockside, sipping their wine and listening to the music coming from the patio of the marina restaurant. I guess that's fine, but I didn't spend what I did so I could sit in a marina. We'll normally get the boat underway four or five times a month, with two of those times being overnight or multi-night trips.

I've heard that old adage before about the happiest day being when you sell it, but I think the only people who truly believe that are those who don't take full advantage of their investment...
I've had my 24' Thompson cabin cruiser since 1994 and I love the thing. I'm often cruising around lake Erie. It's very comfortable and will sleep 6 adults.

And actually it's pretty quick too. It's got a long block Mercruiser 350ci 260hp V8 powering it and easily gets up on plane and will cruise at 35 knots. It's quick enough for water skiing.

At first it was a pain in the ass because it needed a lot of work, but once I got everything in ship shape, it hasn't been much of hassle at all.

Last edited:
I've had my 24' Thompson cabin cruiser since 1994 and I love the thing. I'm often cruising around lake Erie. It's very comfortable and will sleep 6 adults.

And actually it's pretty quick too. It's got a long block Mercruiser 350ci 260hp V8 powering it and easily gets up on plane and will cruise at 35 knots. It's quick enough for water skiing.

At first it was a pain in the ass because it needed a lot of work, but once I got everything in ship shape, it hasn't been much of hassle at all.

A buddy of mine bought an old 42' Chris Craft that needed a ton of work. He got it for a song, though; like, $7,000. He and his girlfriend poured theirs hearts and souls into that boat for almost two years. They did all the work themselves, with the exception of the bottom paint. When it was finished it was beautiful.

The boat is named "Second Chances". They had broken up some years back and got back together about a year before beginning this project. Plus, the boat easily could've been a candidate for the scrap heap, but they gave it a "second chance".

I think they're somewhere in the Caribbean now...

Forum List

Back