Zone1 How to recognise a toxic legacy

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
This is a plaque put iup in Aberdeen. I really think it is something that is useful in educating modern day racists in our society.
It would certainly puncrure the bullshit exceptionalism we hear so often.
The British empire was a stain on humanity and the effects are still with us.

1664555576089.png
a toxic legacy

This is a plaque put iup in Aberdeen. I really think it is something that is useful in educating modern day racists in our society.

View attachment 703554 a toxic legacy
I'd lighten up a little on accusing the dead of misdeeds. The reason there was a slave trade is because Tribal life in the lands slaves came consisted of murdering the people they hated. Selling them for money to a ship sailing thousands of miles away was a merciful gift of life to thousands of Africans whose executions were preplanned.

Last edited:
I'd lighten up a little on accusing the dead of misdeeds. The reason there was a slave trade is because Tribal life in the lands slaves came consisted of murdering the people they hated. Selling them for money to a ship sailing thousands of miles away was a merciful gift of life to thousands of Africans whose executions were preplanned.
Yup, those slaves were so lucky.

Why would a person choose to live in a country that they hate?
In the UK we have people who glory in the Empire and it supports a mindset that glorifies this .

That big palace you are looking at was built on the backs of slavery.

I would prefer to celebrate something that britain can be proud of. The NHS for example.

The British Empire was one of the most benign empires in history. The Belgians as contemporaries were far more brutal, as were the Spanish centuries before them. That's even before we get to the Mongols, the Huns, and even older empires such as the Persians and the Babylonians.

If the Germans had managed to win WWII we would have seen far far worse, same with the Japanese if they had managed to keep their "Greater East Asia Co-prosperity sphere"

No one cares that lefties are trying to stick it to dead people. Why find your inscecant whining to be boring and corny.

No one cares that lefties are trying to stick it to dead people. Why find your inscecant whining to be boring and corny.
We can learn so much from studying the past and learning from it. Those of us who arent programmed that is.

Define "modern day racist".

A thread that begins by taunting people with such accusations should at least define what is meant by such, especially considering that nobody here supports slavery.

The British Empire was one of the most benign empires in history. The Belgians as contemporaries were far more brutal, as were the Spanish centuries before them. That's even before we get to the Mongols, the Huns, and even older empires such as the Persians and the Babylonians.

If the Germans had managed to win WWII we would have seen far far worse, same with the Japanese if they had managed to keep their "Greater East Asia Co-prosperity sphere"
Im not sure what point you are trying to make. I cant think of a "good" empire.

The british empire was an exercise in greed. Using superior military strength to subdue other people and steal their assets.

They used slavery to do this and left a toxic legacy across the owrld. It still resonates today and is the source of much of the conflict in the world .

Not least in Ireland.

Many UK institutions are implicated in this and derive benefit from slavery. By not admitting this we create a distorted vision of what britain is and was.

We need our own CRT to help put the record straight and disabuse the zenophobic imperialists.

We need to stop seeing ourselves as superior beings because we arent and we never were.

Here is an example of a UK institution failing to make restitution.

The british empire was an exercise in greed. Using superior military strength to subdue other people and steal their assets.

They used slavery to do this and left a toxic legacy across the owrld. It still resonates today and is the source of much of the conflict in the world .

Not least in Ireland.

Many UK institutions are implicated in this and derive benefit from slavery. By not admitting this we create a distorted vision of what britain is and was.

We need our own CRT to help put the record straight and disabuse the zenophobic imperialists.

We need to stop seeing ourselves as superior beings because we arent and we never were.

Oxford's choice is not one I would make, but there might be some value in pointing out why he was notable, and their agreement with his values at the time. I would be interested in how they will make it clear why the statue is there to start with. Otherwise, the shameful act could just become a footnote and mostly forgotten.

Not least in Ireland.

I guess you think the Soviet Union was a "good" empire.

Oxford's choice is not one I would make, but there might be some value in pointing out why he was notable, and their agreement with his values at the time. I would be interested in how they will make it clear why the statue is there to start with. Otherwise, the shameful act could just become a footnote and mostly forgotten.
I think the issue here is that this might be the tip of the iceberg. They dont want to set a precedent.

I think the issue here is that this might be the tip of the iceberg. They dont want to set a precedent.
Could be. I'm not familiar with the situation. That was just my first blush impression. and could certainly be wrong. That's why I said theirs wouldn't be a decision I would make, and only allowed the possibility I mentioned.

Forum List

Back