How to get over religious prejudice

Sky Dancer

Rookie
Jan 21, 2009
WASHINGTON, D.C. -- More than 4 in 10 Americans (43%) admit to feeling at least "a little" prejudice toward Muslims -- more than twice the number who say the same about Christians (18%), Jews (15%) and Buddhists (14%). The findings are based on a new Gallup Center for Muslim Studies report, "Religious Perceptions in America: With an In-Depth Analysis of U.S. Attitudes Toward Muslims and Islam," released Thursday.
In U.S., Religious Prejudice Stronger Against Muslims

How do you work to get over your own? Part of how I work on it is to post here where are so many different points of view.

Which religions do you harbor a prejudice against? How do you know you have prejudice?
Is it valuable to you to be free of prejudice?

I'm aware of some discomfort with LDS, with Scientology and with the Catholic Church. How I know I have the prejudice is there an inner attitude of not being willing to look at evidence to the contrary when I harbor a stereotype. It is valuable to me to be free of prejudice. For that reason, I have to work on it.

Last edited:
WASHINGTON, D.C. -- More than 4 in 10 Americans (43%) admit to feeling at least "a little" prejudice toward Muslims -- more than twice the number who say the same about Christians (18%), Jews (15%) and Buddhists (14%). The findings are based on a new Gallup Center for Muslim Studies report, "Religious Perceptions in America: With an In-Depth Analysis of U.S. Attitudes Toward Muslims and Islam," released Thursday.

How do you work to get over your own? Part of how I work on it is to post here where are so many different points of view.

Which religions do you harbor a prejudice against? How do you know you have prejudice?

I'm aware of some discomfort with LDS, with Scientology and with the Catholic Church. How I know I have the prejudice is there an inner attitude of not being willing to look at evidence to the contrary when I harbor a stereotype. It is valuable to me to be free of prejudice. For that reason, I have to work on it.

I am not prejudices against any religion. I do, however, harbor some serious reservations about political ideology of Islam.

By the way, Scientology is not a religion so there is no need for you to worry about discomfort you have with them.

Last edited:
  • Banned
Are you prejudiced against the religion of Islam or just the politics of Islamic countries?

Philosophical claptrap Sky Dancer.

On the ground. The works on the ground.

If you were in Iran, you would not be asking that question.

Oh, right.

You would be dead if they only knew your sexual preference and that is the ground interpretation of Islam. Many others die for less in Muslim countries.

AtefehRajabi.jpg

While reading about the gay teenagers recently hanged in Iran, I came across the story of Ateqeh Rajabi, a sixteen year old girl executed last August for “acts incompatible with chastity” – and, apparently, for talking back to a judge. The man she committed the “acts incompatible” with, in contrast, was sentenced to 100 lashes. From the Telegraph:

So what was the judge (one Haji Rezaie) doing sentencing an “unchaste” 16-year-old to hang? He said that she had a “sharp tongue” and had “undressed in court”.

It seems that all she did was to take off her headscarf and insist that she was the victim of an older man’s advances: but even if she had stripped naked and called the judge a fat ignorant bastard, those actions would hardly merit death, even under Islamic law. Nevertheless, the judge was so outraged that he decided he would personally put the noose round the child’s neck.

Note, however, that this was not a lone act by an isolated judge; the Iranian Supreme Court approved of Rajabi’s execution before it took place.

Last Year, Iran Executed a 16-year-old Girl | Alas, a Blog

• Banned
philosophical claptrap sky dancer.

On the ground. The works on the ground.

If you were in iran, you would not be asking that question.

Oh, right.

You would be dead if they only knew your sexual preference and that is the ground interpretation of islam.
Many others die for less in muslim countries.

atefehrajabi.jpg

while reading about the gay teenagers recently hanged in iran, i came across the story of ateqeh rajabi, a sixteen year old girl executed last august for “acts incompatible with chastity” – and, apparently, for talking back to a judge. The man she committed the “acts incompatible” with, in contrast, was sentenced to 100 lashes. From the telegraph:

So what was the judge (one haji rezaie) doing sentencing an “unchaste” 16-year-old to hang? He said that she had a “sharp tongue” and had “undressed in court”.

It seems that all she did was to take off her headscarf and insist that she was the victim of an older man’s advances: But even if she had stripped naked and called the judge a fat ignorant bastard, those actions would hardly merit death, even under islamic law. Nevertheless, the judge was so outraged that he decided he would personally put the noose round the child’s neck.

Note, however, that this was not a lone act by an isolated judge; the iranian supreme court approved of rajabi’s execution before it took place.

last year, iran executed a 16-year-old girl | alas, a blog

Stop wishing me DEAD in Iran. (who would you argue with if I am beheaded?)

Iran needs a regime change. Let the people rise up as they did in Egypt and are doing in Libya now.

Last edited:
The only way to get over prejudice is to learn to love others as you love yourself.

Be a friend to all and let yourself be full of charity toward all men.

I guess technically I am prejudiced against most all religions because I do not believe in a supreme being or an afterlife.
However as long as they leave me alone as far as my lack of religion goes I leave them alone.

All of them. And it isn't really the religion itself....it's how it is interpreted by those who follow it..and how they act on it. Which is why I am None Of The Above.

I havent looked over this thread yet... I wanted to answer your question the best I could without influence.

Here goes.... How do I get over my own (prejudices)? I don't really have any prejudices against a "religion" per say. I do have a prejudice against certain behaviors. Such as suicide bombers, sharia law being thrust upon me against my will or convert or die mentality... With that being said, I have absolutely no prejudice against Muslims, Buddhists, Hinduists, Christians, or Wickens etc etc..... anyone who has deep religious beliefs are just fine in my opinion.
I happen to be a christian.... not a very good one at times, but a christian none the less.
I have had "religious zealots" tell me Im no christian because I like to drink alcohol, occasionally I curse (time & place for everything), and I dont attend church every sunday, and I just tell them thanks but this is between me and God.
When a "religion" tries to get between me and my relationship with God or a person tries to get between me and my relationship with God, then we have a problem.

No.... this is what gives us our core character and beliefs. I am prejudice against racism, I am prejudice against murder, I am prejudice against radical Islam, I am prejudice against The Arien Brotherhood, I am prejudice against child molesters, and on and on.

So Yes prejudice is a good thing in moderation.

Thats my .02 cents

Are you prejudiced against the religion of Islam or just the politics of Islamic countries?

Neither. I have reservations about the politics of Islam.
I have no "reservations" about Islam. Islam sees itself as supreme and everyone else as cattle.

Islam is 7th century religion must be completely defeated. Religiously, Socially and Militarily.

If the world is an organism, Islam is the Cancer.

You hate Christians but post this? Give me a break.

You hate Christians but post this? Give me a break.

I don't hate Christians, I dislike you. Why? You are hostile and rude to me. You mistate my position over and over again.

I don't hate Christians. It's Christian politics I have a problem with, sir. And even at that, it's a minority of right wing extreme fundamentalist Christians, not all Christians.

Nonetheless, I suppose you're helpful to me because I'm training in patience. If you were civil, I wouldn't have to work so hard posting back to you, lol.

Last edited:

I understand. I don't have a problem with Christians either except for some of their politics, (abortion, DADT, marriage equality) and their annnoying habit of proselytizing.

I have a problem with state sponsored religion and theocracy and with the politics of some Islamic countries. I have a problem with the ruler of Iran. I have a problem with stoning, beheading, whipping and other forms of execution practiced in Islamic countries. I have a problem with punishing victims of rape instead of the rapist.

I have a problem with the way women are treated by the Taliban and gays are treated in Islamic theocracies.

I don't have a problem with individual Muslims or their scriptures. I have no problem with mosques being built in the US or with Muslims practicing Islam in America.

Last edited:

I havent looked over this thread yet... I wanted to answer your question the best I could without influence.

Here goes.... How do I get over my own (prejudices)? I don't really have any prejudices against a "religion" per say. I do have a prejudice against certain behaviors. Such as suicide bombers, sharia law being thrust upon me against my will or convert or die mentality... With that being said, I have absolutely no prejudice against Muslims, Buddhists, Hinduists, Christians, or Wickens etc etc..... anyone who has deep religious beliefs are just fine in my opinion.
I happen to be a christian.... not a very good one at times, but a christian none the less.
I have had "religious zealots" tell me Im no christian because I like to drink alcohol, occasionally I curse (time & place for everything), and I dont attend church every sunday, and I just tell them thanks but this is between me and God.
When a "religion" tries to get between me and my relationship with God or a person tries to get between me and my relationship with God, then we have a problem.

No.... this is what gives us our core character and beliefs. I am prejudice against racism, I am prejudice against murder, I am prejudice against radical Islam, I am prejudice against The Arien Brotherhood, I am prejudice against child molesters, and on and on.

So Yes prejudice is a good thing in moderation.

Thats my .02 cents

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

I understand. I don't have a problem with Christians either except for some of their politics, (abortion, DADT, marriage equality) and their annnoying habit of proselytizing.

I have a problem with state sponsored religion and theocracy and with the politics of some Islamic countries. I have a problem with the ruler of Iran. I have a problem with stoning, beheading, whipping and other forms of execution practiced in Islamic countries. I have a problem with punishing victims of rape instead of the rapist.

I have a problem with the way women are treated by the Taliban and gays are treated in Islamic theocracies.I don't have a problem with individual Muslims or their scriptures. I have no problem with mosques being built in the US or with Muslims practicing Islam in America.

Not just theocracies Sky Dancer, Islam in general does not tolerate homosexuality.

I'll tell you how I got over my religious bias'.....

I grew up in a Conservative Christian (Lutheran) home. I was a devout attendee of services, an active member of the congregation and a member of the Church Board at one time. I had some pretty significant bias' toward and against certain religious belief systems.

Then in 2001, my father died from the complications of Skin Cancer. His death really, really shook my faith. To the point where I went on an almost two year quest to see what I really believed about religion in general and my faith specifically. I researched and spoke to clergy members of pretty much every organized religious organization I could find. I even spent time talking with some of the Eastern Religious groups. In the end I found that none of them could answer my questions to my satisfaction. After that I began looking into the Spiritual, rather than religious paths and it is THERE that I found answers. I didn't necessarily LIKE all of them, but I did find answers. In the end I found there was no need for a bias against any religion, because I came to believe that none of them are worth any more or less than any other. Rather it is individual spirituality that is truly important.

I'll bet 43% is a lot lower than it was 9.5 years ago.

The best way of getting over your prejudice is getting to know people from the group your prejudice against. I was born and grew up in the inner city, lots of black were anti-white. Why? They didn't know many besides me. I moved out to the sticks in middle school, lots of whites were anti-black. Why? Never interacted with them.

Luckily I've gotten to know a lot of each race, jews and muslims and that's why I'm not prejudice against anyone. Sure there's cultural differences but humans mostly share a lot of similar moral values. Real world experience is better than the boogeyman stories you hear from secondhand.

Forum List

Back