How the Republicans Can Take Back the Senate in 2014

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
By Zeke J MillerApril 26, 2013

Oh Lord do I have my fingers crossed!

On paper, the 2014 Senate cycle could hardly be going better for Republicans.

The Democrats are on defense, holding 21 of the 35 seats up for grabs next year. Several stalwart Democrats have announced their retirement, including Montana Senator Max Baucus, who announced Tuesday he would follow Iowa’s Tom Harkin and Michigan’s Carl Levin in not seeking re-election. Those veterans have won a combined 17 terms, and their departures leave tested political and fundraising machines on the table and give the GOP an opening in otherwise untouchable races. The implementation of Obamacare could complicate many others. History is on the Republican side; no sitting president’s party has gained Senate seats in the midterm of a second term. In recent cycles, the loss has averaged more than six seats — enough to give Republicans control.

Read more: How the Republicans Can Take Back the Senate in 2014 | TIME.com

If a new slew of Republicans conducts themselves like the big government, nanny state meddlers on the other side of the isle, I see little reason for optimism. Now, if the Republicans actually embrace the ideals upon which they were founded, including limited government, low taxes, and personal liberty, I'll gladly support them, even if we do occasionally disagree on the extent of our military interventionism. No more RINOs please!

The Democrats are on defense, holding 21 of the 35 seats up for grabs next year. Several stalwart Democrats have announced their retirement, including Montana Senator Max Baucus, who announced Tuesday he would follow Iowa’s Tom Harkin and Michigan’s Carl Levin in not seeking re-election. Those veterans have won a combined 17 terms, and their departures leave tested political and fundraising machines on the table and give the GOP an opening in otherwise untouchable races. The implementation of Obamacare could complicate many others. History is on the Republican side; no sitting president’s party has gained Senate seats in the midterm of a second term. In recent cycles, the loss has averaged more than six seats — enough to give Republicans control.

Sounds like all the same BS the right wingers were saying in 2012. The GOP still hasn't gotten their heads out of these asses.

I expect another massive win for the democrats :clap2:

I know how the GOP can take the Senate in 2014! Let's turn up the Crazy to 11!

Give Alex Jones his own hour on the Fox News Channel. No, wait! THREE hours a day!

Increase whatever radioactive supplement Glenn Beck puts on his cereal.

Get rid of those round protectors they put in front of the microphones for these two demagogues. We need to hear those flecks of foam hitting the mike!

Photoshop images of Saddam Hussein handing Bashar al-Assad a 55 gallon drum of sarin with big photo op grins on their faces. No one will know the idea of Syria's sarin coming from Saddam violates the laws of physics. We live in Wile E. Coyote World now! We need to be Useful Idiots throwing up smoke to conceal the REAL source of Syria's sarin.

Speaking of such things, we must double the number of Manufactured Bullshit factories!

Tell Michelle Bachmann she is way behind on her quota of insane statements in public.

Call for all ragheads, faggots, beaners, and nigras to be rounded up and deported to the bottom of the Pacific.

Blame Obama for 9/11. Hell, it worked for the 2008 crash, right? So why not?

Use Barack Hussein Obama's middle name at every opportunity.

Start openly calling our troops baby killers. Keep reminding people that any day now the Army is going to declare war on us.

Get rid of those embarrassing Support Our Troops yellow ribbon magnetic stickers.

Shift our flag pins to armbands.

Last edited:

Sounds like all the same BS the right wingers were saying in 2012. The GOP still hasn't gotten their heads out of these asses.

I expect another massive win for the democrats :clap2:

I don't think so; I think you may see a 10 seat swing....

If a new slew of Republicans conducts themselves like the big government, nanny state meddlers on the other side of the isle, I see little reason for optimism. Now, if the Republicans actually embrace the ideals upon which they were founded, including limited government, low taxes, and personal liberty, I'll gladly support them, even if we do occasionally disagree on the extent of our military interventionism. No more RINOs please!

Hey, send John Boehner's future son in law a pair of your skis, er, I mean shoes, for an engagement gift - they will go with his slick headgear pretty well!

th

Imo there are two factors that have to break for the gop.

1. Obamacare has to be a debacle, esp for the younger voters who split for Obama in two elections.

2. Limppaw and Beck can enrage the base on national issues. Fox continues to need demographics from the rightmost 20%, but Fox is not interested pushy the crazy, and state elections aren't national events ... unless the gop brings out the Sharon Angles and Todd Akins, who are news events in themselves.

I just don't see Rep senators being picked off by tea party challangers, like Lugar and Bennett were. Graham and Alexander have nearly soiled themselves to avoid running afoul of the very right.

United States Senate elections, 2014 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't know why Enzi has led the internet sales tax challange, but I also don't know Wyoming issues. There's no state income tax, and schools are largely funded with mineral royalty taxes, that are sort of evenly reapportioned amongst non energy producing counties, so maybe people there DO want to pay taxes on Amazon purchases. When I lived there, we hated all taxes other than royalty taxes, but it was a long time ago.

So, if the gop doesn't eat its own, the dems will have difficulty unless the state gop parties nominate crazies. Even in Georgia, the gop can alienate suburban atlanta.

Simple....keep your mouth shut and tell all those rightwing pundits to STFU

Otherwise, the party is doomed

Here's an idea for the Right. I know this is going to sound like some whacked out commie plot, but...how about sticking to facts?

How about instead of gobbling made up shit, like "death panels" for example, you read any legislation for yourselves and attack what is ACTUALLY wrong with it?

The Democrats would not stand a chance against Truth and Reality and Logic. Their whole edifice would collapse into dust.

I know it takes real work to read a bill and comprehend it, but with some practice you could probably manage it. You might have to grow a few more pounds of brain cells, but believe me, it is well worth it.

When someone on your side makes a claim that sounds so good you have a powerful desire to believe it, that is the time when it is most important to ask for evidence for that claim. Don't just decide it HAS to be true just because you WANT it to be. That right there is precisely what has made the conservative a movement a mere shadow of its former self. We have nothing left now but mimics. Brainless creduloids.

The Right builds strawmen and then proceeds to beat the living shit out of them. Then they celebrate and high five each other. Meanwhile, the Left is deconstructing our country in the real world in real time, by increments.

It is also way past time to admit to yourselves that waterboarding is torture. We sent enemies to hard labor in prison for waterboarding. Our country unequivocally considered it torture until Bush came along. This wiping of your collective memories to put waterboarding and a whole series of totalitarian behaviors into action is positively terrifying.

And last, but most assuredly not least, stop being the fucking party of hate. "At least we don't litter at our flag-laden Hate Rallies, and we would get the trains running on time if it weren't for all these darkies and homos and commies in our way!"

Last edited:

Forum List

Back