How the Irish Helped Abraham Lincoln Save the Union

RATE RADIO - TODAY

Thursday 10th May

Lincoln and the Irish: The Untold Story of How the Irish Helped Abraham Lincoln Save the Union
Niall O'Dowd

Listen Download

Today With Sean O Rourke Friday 11 May 2018 - Today with Sean O'Rourke - RTÉ Radio 1
/----/I just learned from Ancestry.com that I'm 40% Irish.

Sorry to hear about the 60% that isn't!
/——/ I wondered why I preferred Guinness, corned beef and cabbage and red heads with green eyes.

My Grandfather's first name was Ireland...sappy...
27657764_1554824471233128_2611850328065988570_n.jpg

The Irish were literally snatched off the boat, put in uniform and sent out to be used as cannon fodder while the rich Yankees stayed home.

You mean, just like George W Bush and Trump, both of whom were too scared to fight for their country. And what about, 'Deferment Dick'? How many deferments did Chaney get?

Dick Cheney was definitely opposed to the draft, at least as far as it affected him. Indeed, unlike George W. Bush, who performed some sort of service—ill-defined and unrecorded as it may have been—in the Texas Air National Guard, Cheney reacted to the prospect of wearing his country’s uniform like a man with a deadly allergy to olive drab. Between 1963 and 1965, Cheney used his student status at Casper College and the University of Wyoming to apply for and receive four 2-S draft deferments. As the war in Vietnam heated up, Cheney fought to defend and expand his deferments. Twenty-two days after Congress approved the Gulf of Tonkin resolution in August 1964, raising the prospect of a rapid expansion of the draft, he “coincidentally”—in the words of a Washington Post profile—married longtime girflriend Lynne Vincent. The advantage was that even if his student deferment was lifted, his married status might carry some weight with his draft board.

The Chapter That Went Missing From Dick Cheney's Book

You mean, just like George W Bush and Trump, both of whom were too scared to fight for their country. And what about, 'Deferment Dick'? How many deferments did Chaney get?
I thought we were talking about Lincoln. The angry left made fun of George H Bush who was a genuine hero in WW2 and elected a draft dodger who demonstrated against his own Country as a student in England.

There were 45 Irish Units in the Southern Army.

At Marye's Heights (Fredericksburg) It was the Georgia Irish
Brigade that kicked the shit out of the famed "Fighting 69th."

History, Heritage, Folklore, and News from County Sligo, Ireland
Yeah...apparently they didn't really believe in freedom.

On the contrary...

They believed very much in it. That's why the South fought. The Irish
didn't rebel in the South like they did in the North. The draft riots of 1863
provided quite a few lynching's on the streets of New York. That didn't happen with the Irish in the South.

"We'll live our lives like we want and you live your lives like you want."

Forum List

Back