How Ted Cruz Can Still Beat Trump

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
This is now or never time for the nonTrump GOP voters. Trump is in position to secure a mathematical lock on the nomination certainly by the end of the month.

Cruz has to act NOW and tweak his message a bit, but compeltely overhaul his attacks on Trump.

To understand why what I am suggesting would work it is necessary to explain the underlying advantages and disadvantages on both candidates.

Trumps weaknesses are his lack of ideological fluency, but that is also a strength on many for whom the Wonk Word Salad answers just make them feel insulted. Trump is shunning the role of a moral champion or cultural champion of the US and that is a big weakness with the social conservatives and cultural conservatives.

Trumps strengths are his division of his opponents base. Kasich splits the Establishment lane with Rubio and Carson splits the moral Christian base with Cruz. So no wing of the GOP can unite to oppose Trump. Trump has a draw on American conservative that is based on his style and not his substance. He projects an ability to fix things, that the political class as a whole has lost. Trump also is blunt and people love his frankness and his 'Telling it like it is' persona.

Cruz weakness is a lawyerly style, lots of ideological word salads and a certain "I am the most pure ideologue" taint to his message that repels most voters who think a President has to be flexible in response to unexpected crisis situations.

Cruz strengths are his long record as a reflective conservative champion who will fight anyone that tries to undermine or ignore the American public. He has a firm command of the issues and he has a strong debate skill set. He is the ideal complete conservative spokesman.

This is what Cruz needs to do to win.

First of all stop attacking Trump as weak on conservative ideas and ideology litmus tests. Trump is pulling the people that are reflexive conservatives, not reflective conservatives. Cruz needs to focus on standing up for cultural and moral conservative people and highlight the fact that Trump repeatedly backs away from and shuns this role of the President being Americas moral leader using his bully pull pit for maximum advantage. Talk about Trumps record on gay marriage and and ask if they feel that certain that Trump wont flip flop again once he is in the White House and has four years ahead of him till his re-election.

Secondly, Cruz has to get an IT expert to make his www.tedcruz.org website free of viruses and redirects. He needs to buy www.tedcruz.com to remove alot of confusion people run into trying to find out more about him. IT will be worth the money, trust me. Then Cruz needs to set up his site as a data and information rallying point on Ted Cruz with all his policy details and positions with explanations and FAQs. He has most of this down, but really needs to focus more on the social conservative content to highlight where his target voter demographic differs from other GOP candidates. He also needs to have a 'rebuttals to latest opponent accusation' section that would help people get the Cruz side of the media stories and opponents attacks.

Third, Cruz needs to flank his opposition and offer some unexpected positions that would bring more attention to his independent thinking and that he is not just an ideologue. If he would stand and defend our cultural heritage and attack the left's attempts to bleach it away, it will give him a lot of support in Southern states whose cultural conservative base has felt under attack the last 7 years and abandoned by the GOP. No other GOP candidate is appealing to cultural conservatives and Ted Cruz could win their support simply by implication.

Trump has a lot of independent first time voter support. Cruz could compete for this block by calling for the decriminalization of marijuana. No one should be prosecuted for merely smoking pot, but only for doing it irresponsibly, i.e. trying to drive while on LSD. The worst drugs (like crack and LSD) traffickers should be the focus of federal prosecution, and marijuana sales should not be prosecuted. Cruz should promise a pardon on all marijuana based offenses, but not on violent crimes, with immediate release of any prisoners whose only crime is possession and redistribution of Pot. Then their should be a review with Congress of all drugs related laws and remove from that list drugs that are less harmful than alcohol and then plan for a Presidential pardon of the rest. This would also shore up libertarian support for Cruz as well.

Cruz should also make a bold declaration for an Article V States Amendment Constitutional Convention to wrap up some controversies that have plagued our nation for the last 50 years. Balanced Budget, Term Limits, Declaration of War revision, etc, there are many things such a convention could address and still have the safe guard of the required approval of 3/4s of the states.

Cruz needs to simplify his message to sound bites, like Trump has. Cruz has won over the conservatives at the National Review and radio talk show hosts already, so reach out more to regular reflexive conservatives who feel like politicians are talking over their heads and wont keep these wonky policy promises sure to be loaded with fine letter escape clauses anyway. Like Trump's 'Make America Great Again" Cruz needs to simplify his message to a sound bit size and put it everywhere. FOX was showing an intro to the top three candidates and Trump had his motto shown and Rubio's canned speech opening, but when Cruz was shown it was way too wordy and sleep inducing for most people.

Some suggestions:
"Let's give our children an American future they can look forward to!"

"Let's clean up Washington DC and give it back to the American people!"

"I will be a President you and your family can be proud of!"

Hell, he might be using some of these already, but people are too dozey to remember.

And the last idea that I think would be dynomite for Cruz would be to puncture Trumps image by having a comedian pose with him on stage dressed up like Trump and responding to Cruz's questions and rebuttals using Trumps own statements. Cruz websites should document these statements. The Trump-clone should be lampoonish but he has to accurately reflect Trumps actual positions to buy authenticity in what the clone says. And then have Cruz debate the man to make him look like a man out of his depth, predisposed to making more flip-flops in the future and DEFLATE Trumps persona of being a man who can 'get her done'. I think this can be more effective with reflexive voters than trying to do wonkish critiques of Trumps lack of ideological purity.

Either way, I like Trump, but I think I prefer Ted Cruz, but God bless them both!

JimBowie1958 its over....Trumps momentum is just too much for the other candidates to overcome. Outside of Trump imploding (which some people think can still happen) its just a battle for the #2 spot at this point.

If any other candidate were in Trumps position the media and GOPe would already be anointing them the nomination. The narrative would be entirely different. I think even when Trump is being sworn in as POTUS people will be waiting for him to implode or some how lose ;)

All Trump needs in March is to get southern states including Texas and he pretty much has the nomination in the bag.

delegate-map_1455898892.png

Trump's biggest assets are that he has never held political office, he does not appear to be beholden to any financial interests, and he does not appear to give a fuck about what he says and who he offends. To what degree these strengths are founded in reality does not really matter. Nobody else in the field of Dems and Repubs can point to any degree of these strengths.

I am starting to think that Trump may be for real.

JimBowie1958 its over....Trumps momentum is just too much for the other candidates to overcome. Outside of Trump imploding (which some people think can still happen) its just a battle for the #2 spot at this point.

If any other candidate were in Trumps position the media and GOPe would already be anointing them the nomination. The narrative would be entirely different. I think even when Trump is being sworn in as POTUS people will be waiting for him to implode or some how lose ;)
To be honest, I tend to agree. While I think these ideas would have worked best starting a month ago, it is still possible to turn it around in the next week, though I dont know how plausible it is.

Romney did it, but Gingriches war chest was not nearly so deep as Trumps is.

All Trump needs in March is to get southern states including Texas and he pretty much has the nomination in the bag.
Yes, but that is a mighty long five weeks ahead. Anything can still happen, at least in theory.

Cruz has to do well on March 1, or he has little chance.

His only chance after that will be to beat Rubio in the delegate count and hope to over-take Trump at the convention.

Yes racist far left drone Trolls are pulling for Rubio!
Quite a few good republicans are as well.

And another far left drone that claims they do not vote for war mongers chimes and claims their support for the war monger Rubio.

And this far left drone just proves my comments!

Yes, but that is a mighty long five weeks ahead. Anything can still happen, at least in theory.

With Trump claiming he wants to close the border and build a wall, many of the Southern states will probably back that idea.

His only chance after that will be to beat Rubio in the delegate count and hope to over-take Trump at the convention.

I think Cruz needs to win Texas and split the South. That would be enough to derail the Trump freight train. If Cruz can only win Texas, he will not be able by that to demonstrate he can be competitive nationally and will lose donors, the lifes blood of any campaign.

I think the things I am suggesting could get him Texas and several Southern states and that might forestall things till the 15th where it is plausible, maybe, for him to overtake Trump and go for a clear win. To do that he needs to be the anti-Trump candidate and make Rubios money dry up.

I dont think Cruz does well in a brokered convention.

If Cruz isn't behind the dirtbag tactics being employed by his campaign, he needs to fire campaign manager Rick Tyler and hire ethical people. I think Cruz is fully aware of what's being done in his name and is fine with it.

Yes and I can get run over today on my 3 mile run.

Not trying to bust your balls brother, I'm just pointing out that the inevitable is here (Trump winning nomination) and people are still searching for theories and ways he can lose it. The reality is that the only way Trump loses is if he fucks up. Its his to lose a this point. Cruz can part the Gulf of Mexico and it won't help him.

I think Cruz needs to win Texas and split the South. That would be enough to derail the Trump freight train. If Cruz can only win Texas, he will not be able by that to demonstrate he can be competitive nationally and will lose donors, the lifes blood of any campaign.

I think the things I am suggesting could get him Texas and several Southern states and that might forestall things till the 15th where it is plausible, maybe, for him to overtake Trump and go for a clear win. I dont think Cruz does well in a brokered convention.

Cruz and Rubio's record on closing the border is not very good, so they could very well loose Texas just on that alone.

And another far left drone that claims they do not vote for war mongers chimes and claims their support for the war monger Rubio.

Your looniness is evident, Kosh. Many good Republicans like Cruz. Many do not. I do not. His crazy interpretation of what the Bible and evangelicalism means is scary. I am going with a real conservative, Kasich.

Only one 'southern' state, Texas, borders Mexico. The others are NM, AZ, and CA.

Texans love Cruz and are satisfied with his policy on immigration.

Your looniness is evident, Kosh. Many good Republicans like Cruz. Many do not. I do not. His crazy interpretation of what the Bible and evangelicalism means is scary. I am going with a real conservative, Kasich.

Yes you are not a republican or on the right, you are a far left drone!

Sorry far left drone, but those claims you make are not founded in reality!

Yes and I can get run over today on my 3 mile run.

Not trying to bust your balls brother, I'm just pointing out that the inevitable is here (Trump winning nomination) and people are still searching for theories and ways he can lose it. The reality is that the only way Trump loses is if he fucks up. Its his to lose a this point. Cruz can part the Gulf of Mexico and it won't help him.

But such fuckups do happen. Remember last years Super Bowl and Seatles goal line defense at the end?

Forum List

Back