How one black man defeated the kkk.

A man I taught to read in Mississippi had his church burned down by the Klan during the period of strife revolving around the murder of three civil rights workers.

At the time I was teaching him to read it was the 80s and he was in his fifties. Since he was illiterate, he had to work three low-paying jobs and was putting his daughters through college. And yet he still found time to be a lay deacon at his church.

He told me the only reason he wanted to learn to read was so he could read the Bible. He was the most humble man I have ever known.

That man remains on my list of Top Ten Heroes of All Time.

He inspired me to start a Life Skills class at the local college which underwrote the literacy program. We taught people how to use a checkbook (remember checkbooks?), read a bus schedule, pay bills, and so on. Things most of us take for granted.

In that same period, I had a local bar placed off limits. The base's girls soccer team had won a local championship and they went out to celebrate. The bar kicked them out because the coach (a Marine) was black.

Mississippi has a long way to go.

The KKK was never "defeated" it just faded away when the democrat party no longer needed the Klan for political muscle. FDR appointed a KKK member to the Supreme Court and the longest serving democrat senator in modern history, Robert Byrd was a KKK member.

A man I taught to read in Mississippi had his church burned down by the Klan during the period of strife revolving around the murder of three civil rights workers.

At the time I was teaching him to read it was the 80s and he was in his fifties. Since he was illiterate, he had to work three low-paying jobs and was putting his daughters through college. And yet he still found time to be a lay deacon at his church.

He told me the only reason he wanted to learn to read was so he could read the Bible. He was the most humble man I have ever known.

That man remains on my list of Top Ten Heroes of All Time.

He inspired me to start a Life Skills class at the local college which underwrote the literacy program. We taught people how to use a checkbook (remember checkbooks?), read a bus schedule, pay bills, and so on. Things most of us take for granted.

In that same period, I had a local bar placed off limits. The base's girls soccer team had won a local championship and they went out to celebrate. The bar kicked them out because the coach (a Marine) was black.

Mississippi has a long way to go.
In big cities now, there is a percentage of people in ghettos who cannot read or write. This after spending trillions of dollars. You give the soapbox speech that is so elegant. Ask the peasant taxpayer who keeps having to pay for this with not very good results.

In big cities now, there is a percentage of people in ghettos who cannot read or write. This after spending trillions of dollars. You give the soapbox speech that is so elegant. Ask the peasant taxpayer who keeps having to pay for this with not very good results.
The VOLUNTEER literacy program was not paid for with taxes. I volunteered my free time.

There are illiterate hillbillies, as well.

Forum List

Back