How Old Is Grandpaw?

Charter Member
May 8, 2004
Podunk, WI
How old is Grandpa?

One evening a grandson was talking to his grandfather about current events.
The grandson asked his grandfather what he thought about the shootings at schools, the computer age, and just things in general.

The Grandfather replied, 'Well, let me think a minute, I was born before:

'television

'penicillin

'polio shots

'frozen foods

'Xerox

'contact lenses

'Frisbees and

'the pill

There were no:

'credit cards

'laser beams or

'ball-point pens

Man had not invented:

'panty hose

'air conditioners

'dishwashers

'clothes dryers

'and the clothes were hung out to dry in the fresh air and

'man hadn't yet walked on the moon

Your Grandmother and I got married first, . . . and then lived together.

Every family had a father and a mother.

Until I was 25, I called every man older than me, 'Sir'.
And after I turned 25, I still called policemen and every man with a title, 'Sir.'

We were before gay-rights, computer- dating, dual careers, day-care centers, and group therapy.

Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense..

We were taught to know the difference between right and wrong and to stand up and take responsibility for our actions.
Serving your country was a privilege; living in this country was a bigger privilege.

We thought fast food was what people ate during Lent.

Having a meaningful relationship meant getting along with your cousins.

Draft dodgers were people who closed their front doors when the evening breeze started.

Time-sharing meant time the family spent together in the evenings and weekends-not purchasing condominiums.

We never heard of FM radios, tape decks, CDs, electric typewriters, yogurt, or guys wearing earrings.

We listened to the Big Bands, Jack Benny, and the President's speeches on our radios.

And I don't ever remember any kid blowing his brains out listening to Tommy Dorsey.

If you saw anything with 'Made in Japan ' on it, it was junk

The term 'making out' referred to how you did on your school exam.

Pizza Hut, McDonald's, and instant coffee were unheard of.

We had 5 &10-cent stores where you could actually buy things for 5 and 10 cents.

Ice-cream cones, phone calls, rides on a streetcar, and a Pepsi were all a nickel.

And if you didn't want to splurge, you could spend your nickel on enough stamps to mail 1 letter and 2 postcards.

You could buy a new Chevy Coupe for $600, . . but who could afford one?
Too bad, because gas was 11 cents a gallon.

In my day:

'grass' was mowed,

'coke' was a cold drink,

'pot' was something your mother cooked in and

'rock music' was your grandmother' s lullaby.

'Aids' were helpers in the Principal's office,

'chip' meant a piece of wood,

'hardware' was found in a hardware store and

'software' wasn't even a word.

And we were the last generation to actually believe that a lady needed a husband to have a baby. No wonder people call us 'old and confused' and say there is a generation gap... and how old do you think I am?

I bet you have this old man in mind... you are in for a shock!

Read on to see -- pretty scary if you think about it and pretty sad at the same time..

Are you ready ?????

This man would be only 60 years old.

That one is soooooo old, that a good number of the things on that list were invented by 1950.

Best rework those numbers, bud. :lol:

Regardless... it's still good.

Last edited:
And now we've all lived to the point where some that shouldn't have rights do.

Example....

Enemy combatants, captured in an act of war, being read Miranda Rights.

Why shouldn't they have rights? And are they enemy combatants?

First, they're not American citizens. Second, they have been apprehended for committing an act of war against the United States of America. Third, therefore, they should be tried by a military tribunal. It's always been that way, and to screw with it now just weakens America.

Last edited:
Enemy combatants, captured in an act of war, being read Miranda Rights.

Why shouldn't they have rights? And are they enemy combatants?

First, they're not American citizens. Second, they have been apprehended for committing an act of war against the United States of America. Third, they should be tried by a military tribunal.

Forget the American citizens part. Shouldn't a just society give them the opportunity to defend themselves?

Second, were they committing an act of war? I have no idea whether these people were from another country fighting against the US/West? Local PO'ed at foreigners invading their country? Some sheep herder who got turned by his neighbour because his neighbour coveted his herd?

How transparent and fair is a military tribunal?

another thread that proves the uselessness of old people. I remember how mad my granddad was when we first got a computer at his house since he had never used one and how much he loved it once I started computer science. I also remembering him saying we would get sued for 10 million dollars if I downloaded one song

old people are just mad they can't keep up with stuff and their generation was just as immoral but wives were told to take it and not report the abuse and women & men were whores they just didn't talk about it publicly. they only thing the internet and technology did was bring out into public the same shit thats been going on since the beginning of humans.

Forget the American citizens part. Shouldn't a just society give them the opportunity to defend themselves?
They would certainly have that opportunity in a military tribunal.

Second, were they committing an act of war? I have no idea whether these people were from another country fighting against the US/West? Local PO'ed at foreigners invading their country? Some sheep herder who got turned by his neighbour because his neighbour coveted his herd?

There's no question as to whether these are committing an act of war against America or not. When two buildings like the twin towers fall killing 3,000+ people, and we know the cats that flew the planes into the building were islamic jihadists that have vowed to kill as many INFIDELS as possible, that's an act of WAR brotherk, and little moron eric holder has given the master mind of it all "rights." Holder is a traitor.

How transparent and fair is a military tribunal?
If I'm not mistaken, all records from military tribunals are available under the Freedom of Information Act.

Last edited:
Every family had a father and a mother.

:lol::lol::lol:

We were before gay-rights, computer- dating, dual careers, day-care centers, and group therapy.

what is so bad about day care centers? should women not work?

Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense..

I lol'd

Time-sharing meant time the family spent together in the evenings and weekends-not purchasing condominiums.

what is wrong with buying investment and vacation property? :confused:

another thread that proves the uselessness of old people. I remember how mad my granddad was when we first got a computer at his house since he had never used one and how much he loved it once I started computer science. I also remembering him saying we would get sued for 10 million dollars if I downloaded one song

old people are just mad they can't keep up with stuff and their generation was just as immoral but wives were told to take it and not report the abuse and women & men were whores they just didn't talk about it publicly. they only thing the internet and technology did was bring out into public the same shit thats been going on since the beginning of humans.

The words of a young fool.... just remember bubble head... ***YOU*** are going to be "old" one day... so remember your words.

You're the perfect example of an upstart young punk that doesn't know JACK SHIT.

Last edited:
[q

There's no question as to whether these are committing an act of war against America or not. When two buildings like the twin towers fall killing 3,000+ people, and we know the cats that flew the planes into the building were islamic jihadists that have vowed to kill as many INFIDELS as possible, that's an act of WAR brotherk, and little moron eric holder has given the master mind of it all "rights." Holder is a traitor.

What do Iraqi's have to do with 9-11?

The words of a young fool.... just remember bubble head... ***YOU*** are going to be "old" one day... so remember your words.

You're the perfect example of an upstart young punk that doesn't know JACK SHIT.

please explain what I don't know

[q

What do Iraqi's have to do with 9-11?

Nothing as far as I know. Is that relevant, or am I missing something?

please explain what I don't know

I don't have that much time son. I'll just let you bask in your all knowing glory.

Forum List

Back