How much do Canadians pay for "free" health care?

Otis Mayfield

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2021
In 2014, the average single individual earning roughly $42,000 will pay $4,381 for public health care insurance.

A family of two adults and two children earning approximately $118,000 in 2014 will pay $11,786 for public health care insurance.

In 2014, the 10 per cent of Canadian families with an average income of $57,818 will pay an average of $5,522.

And families among the top 10 per cent of income earners in Canada will pay $37,239 for public health care insurance.

The 10 per cent of Canadian families with the lowest income will pay an average of $523 for public health care insurance in 2014.

The average Canadian pays about $5000 a year on health insurance or $500 a month. That's way more than I spend on the health insurance I get at work. About 10 times as much.

So if your a poor Canadian, health insurance is cheap, you'll pay just over $500 a year, about $60 a month which is $10 more a month than I pay.

The Canadian government does everything it can to hide how much money is spent on healthcare by each Canadian.

Is Canadian health insurance worth it?

Last edited:
In 2014, the average single individual earning roughly $42,000 will pay $4,381 for public health care insurance.

A family of two adults and two children earning approximately $118,000 in 2014 will pay $11,786 for public health care insurance.

In 2014, the 10 per cent of Canadian families with an average income of $57,818 will pay an average of $5,522.

And families among the top 10 per cent of income earners in Canada will pay $37,239 for public health care insurance.

The 10 per cent of Canadian families with the lowest income will pay an average of $523 for public health care insurance in 2014.

The average Canadian pays about $5000 a year on health insurance or $500 a month. That's way more than I spend on the health insurance I get at work. About 10 times as much.

So if your a poor Canadian, health insurance is cheap, you'll pay just over $500 a year, about $60 a month which is $10 more a month than I pay.

I have a six figure retirement. My wife and I usually pay about 5% of our income for health care to include insurance and out of pocket expenses.

That is a lot better than those Canadian figures I see in your data. I bet we also get better health care.

The Canadian government does everything it can to hide how much money is spent on healthcare by each Canadian.

No

The best thing about Covid is that most intelligent Americans now realize how DANGEROUS it is to allow government to control healthcare.

Intelligent Americans realize the way out is to remove government from health care.

Totally wrong.
Health care in the US costs each individual about $1500/month.
Whether it gets paid by the employer or you directly, it comes out of your income.

Health care in the US cost more than twice what is costs anywhere else in the world, and we do not have high quality healthcare.
Over 100,000 die in the US each year from medical malpractice.

The worst part of US health care is that by it being paid by employers, then the poor do not get any healthcare at all, and the wealthy who do get, then pay lower taxes due to the fact their employer health insurance is a tax exemption.

I have a six figure retirement. My wife and I usually pay about 5% of our income for health care to include insurance and out of pocket expenses.

That is a lot better than those Canadian figures I see in your data. I bet we also get better health care.

Wrong.
If you are retired, you likely are getting Medicare, which is government subsidized and therefore irrelevant.
And no, the US has much worse health care than the US.

I am a US Navy veteran. I pay no healthcare premiums. I only pay $20 to see a VA doctor and $9 for each prescription. Vets with lower incomes pay nothing. VA care is very good.

No

The best thing about Covid is that most intelligent Americans now realize how DANGEROUS it is to allow government to control healthcare.

Intelligent Americans realize the way out is to remove government from health care.

Wrong.
It is good to remove government from being health care providers, but government is much better at paying for health care because it skims no profits from it and you get to vote about how it is administered.
The whole point of paying for health care is you want and need to pool risk.
That is what government is perfect at.
You never want a for profit insurance company in control of your health care.
The whole problem with Covid is the profits J&J, Pfizer, Moderna, etc., want out of it.
It is big pharma who is corrupting government, not the other way around.

Its a conservative and libertarian think tank.
They are FOS.
This from 2019.
From consumersmutual.org

The cost of health insurance for each individual, taken directly out of their taxes, comes out to $2000 Canadian money. When extrapolated to a monthly cost, this comes out to just over $160 per person per month. If they were to visit a doctor or have a procedure done, all of this would be covered by the policy. However, some things are not covered by this universal healthcare which is why many Canadians will pay for additional health insurance coverage.
The average person in Canada, as stated before, pays about $2000 Canadian money for universal healthcare out of their taxes. Supplemental plans will cost, on average, about $4000 per person. In total, Canadians will pay about $500 Canadian money for health insurance, of which about $330 per month will come out of pocket. For young people that are single, this could be a sizable investment, whereas older people with many medical problems will see this as a cost-effective solution.

Wrong.
If you are retired, you likely are getting Medicare, which is government subsidized and therefore irrelevant.
And no, the US has much worse health care than the US.

Wrong!

I have health care paid for my retirement compensation package.

NO

Canadians pay for health insurance every month, not just for 9 months so that makes you plan a lot cheaper.
best wishes from Canada.

They are FOS.
This from 2019.
From consumersmutual.org

The cost of health insurance for each individual, taken directly out of their taxes, comes out to $2000 Canadian money. When extrapolated to a monthly cost, this comes out to just over $160 per person per month. If they were to visit a doctor or have a procedure done, all of this would be covered by the policy. However, some things are not covered by this universal healthcare which is why many Canadians will pay for additional health insurance coverage.
The average person in Canada, as stated before, pays about $2000 Canadian money for universal healthcare out of their taxes. Supplemental plans will cost, on average, about $4000 per person. In total, Canadians will pay about $500 Canadian money for health insurance, of which about $330 per month will come out of pocket. For young people that are single, this could be a sizable investment, whereas older people with many medical problems will see this as a cost-effective solution.
Nawww, most of us don't buy additional coverage.

best wishes from Canada.

For seven years I lived near the Canadian border.

We were told not to make doctor appointments on Mondays because that is the day that the Canadians were flooded into the doctors offices.

They would rather come to the US and pay for health care than take what their system gave them for "free".

For seven years I lived near the Canadian border.

We were told not to make doctor appointments on Mondays because that is the day that the Canadians were flooded into the doctors offices.

They would rather come to the US and pay for health care than take what their system gave them for "free".
I live close to the border too and I've gladly paid hundreds of thousands of dollars for my health care in the US!
It's a matter of principle for me to not help our government get away with the ripoff.
Adopt Trump's plan. (when he tells you what it is)

I am a US Navy veteran. I pay no healthcare premiums. I only pay $20 to see a VA doctor and $9 for each prescription. Vets with lower incomes pay nothing. VA care is very good.
wow 9 dollars for prescription. My husband is new to Medicare and he had a rude awakening with Part D.

Forum List

Back