How much can I get for my Fine Art Photos?$

Not much. What's your application for gallery exposure like? How many competitions have you won? How many awards? How many museums has your work been in?

What are the top market fine art photos going for?
In today's messy world? Who wants to buy art when they are struggling just to get food to the table? Unless its some rich person with money, but they will be buying well known pieces...and you aren't well known.

In fairness, he didn't say he took the photos- could be they were taken by some well known fancy pants.

I'd rather have beer, myself.

What are the top market fine art photos going for?

I'll try to actually help you here.

The problem with selling photographic prints is that, unless you're done them for a specific client, you're taking the photos and printing them with the hopes that someone will see your photo and decide that it fits the decor of their home or office. In that regard, it's a crap shoot.

I sold this image to the Renaissance Hotel when it was being built in St. Augustine, Florida:

2022-01-19.jpg

It's one of the watch towers at the Castillo De San Marcos in St. Augustine. Hotels love to have images of local sites hanging in their lobbies, rooms, etc. Renaissance is a Marriott property and Marriott has fairly deep pockets. I was paid well for 100 prints of this image.

Is it "fine art"? Well, I don't really think it is, but the Renaissance apparently did, and that's really all that matters.

I took this shot of lower Manhattan, while on the Brooklyn Bridge, a few years ago. It's really nothing special, but a lawyer in Brooklyn paid $750 to have it hanging in his Brooklyn office. That sale was the result of a referral from a friend, but it's just to show that people will pay good money for the right print:

nyc03.jpg

You could also try getting into a gallery, but that can be tough, and once you're in the gallery normally gets a large percentage of any sale. Also, remember that presentation is key. You have to look like you give a shit about what you're trying to sell. A friend of mine, another local photographer, opened a gallery/beer & wine bar here a few years ago, and wanted to do a show with local concert photographers. I chose six images, framed and matted them, and this was my display:

2022-01-19 (5).jpg

Each print shown sold for $450 (the gallery got 20%, which is low). The other two photographers featured that night (one of which was the gallery owner) sold nothing. The images were fine, but the presentation was, frankly, garbage. One of them bought cheap plastic frames at Hobby Lobby and made his prints with an inkjet printer.

I made $2,160 that night.

There's a website called fineartamerica.com, and I've had mildly good success there over the years (I joined in 2011). It ebbs and flows, though. In 2016, I think I made about $1,200 through that site. In 2017 I didn't have a single sale. In 2018 I cleared $4,000. It all comes down to what you're offering, what people want, and what people are willing to pay for what they want. FAA takes care of everything. They print it, mount or frame it, and ship it. You upload your photos, decide how much you want to make on each sale, and they pretty much do everything else. I sometimes forget I even have an active page there, but will be reminded when a check shows up.

Don't expect to get rich. Art is one of the most subjective things you can choose to sell. But if your subjects are varied and you produce quality work, you can make money...

Forum List

Back