How Long Will the AntiChrist Be Sitting in Your Temple?

Amazing how people get this wrong.

II Thessalonians 2:

3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

4 Who opposeth and exalteth (present tense) himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God (present tense), shewing himself that he is God.

5 Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things?

6 And now ye know what withholdeth (present tense) that he might be revealed in his time.

7 For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth (present tense) will let, until he be taken out of the way.

"AND NOW there are MANY ANTICHRISTS" - I John 2:18
Over 7 billion of them.

I is confused by the terminology. It seems (I think) that "Thessalonians) was written by greek speaking early christians----who were Hellenist oriented. The
terminology that confuses me is "ANTICHRIST"----as
in WTF IS DAT???

The Antichrist is someone who was a Christ follower and went over to the other side.. It fits Judas, but most scholars think it was Antiochus IV Epiphanes (God manifest) because he defiled the Temple by putting a statue of Zeus and sacrificing pigs.

Over 7 billion of them.
Not so. There were not 7 billion people two thousand years ago.

But now there are . . try to remain in current.
You do live in 2021 don't you?
1 John was written nearly 2,000 years ago. 2,000 years ago there were many antichrists, according 1 John. That passage says nothing about 2021.

Try to remain current.

Some think Judas was the AntiChrist which was capitalized in the 15th century.

It was Judas! So Paul has purposely called the man of sin "the son of perdition" so that we would know that the antichrist would have been ONE OF US!! The antichrist would be just like Judas, someone who was in the church, but a deceiver who would turn against Christ Jesus.
Judas would have predated antichrists who were coming when 1 John was written, and 1 John is written in the present tense.

Children, it is the last hour, and as you have heard that antichrist is coming, so now many antichrists have come.
(1 Jn 2:18)​

Judas certainly could have been antichrist, but not the antichrist. The Bible doesn't identify any one antichrist. Antichrist isn't so much a person as it is, in a word, opposition to Christ. John called some of them antichrist for refusing to even acknowledge Jesus’ coming in the flesh (2 Jn 1:7).

Some say,......

Um, if God created "everything"...he also created pain, suffering and evil, bad people.
"Free will"? If it causes that much suffering, was it really a good idea?

If all powerful, what kind of sadist would god have to be to have created all that horror?

When I look at this world, I sometimes have to agree with them.
The whole point is that this world is not important. This physical world is a blip on the radar of our entire spiritual existence and is nothing more than a test of faith that God has a much bigger plan for our souls.

II Thessalonians 2:

3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

4 Who opposeth and exalteth (present tense) himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God (present tense), shewing himself that he is God.

6 And now ye know what withholdeth (present tense) that he might be revealed in his time.

7 For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth (present tense) will let, until he be taken out of the way.

Over 7 billion of them.

I is confused by the terminology. It seems (I think) that "Thessalonians) was written by greek speaking early christians----who were Hellenist oriented. The
in WTF IS DAT???

The Antichrist is someone who was a Christ follower and went over to the other side.. It fits Judas, but most scholars think it was Antiochus IV Epiphanes (God manifest) because he defiled the Temple by putting a statue of Zeus and sacrificing pigs.
Was Antiochus Jewish? I'm not sure the Seleucidae were Jewish, were they?

The Bible is about the Israelites (and Jews). If antichrist were non-Jewish, then the whole world was antichrist except for a tiny minority of Jewish converts within an already tiny minority Jewish population.

Over 7 billion of them.
Not so. There were not 7 billion people two thousand years ago.

But now there are . . try to remain in current.
You do live in 2021 don't you?
1 John was written nearly 2,000 years ago. 2,000 years ago there were many antichrists, according 1 John. That passage says nothing about 2021.

Try to remain current.

Some think Judas was the AntiChrist which was capitalized in the 15th century.

It was Judas! So Paul has purposely called the man of sin "the son of perdition" so that we would know that the antichrist would have been ONE OF US!! The antichrist would be just like Judas, someone who was in the church, but a deceiver who would turn against Christ Jesus.
Judas would have predated antichrists who were coming when 1 John was written, and 1 John is written in the present tense.

Children, it is the last hour, and as you have heard that antichrist is coming, so now many antichrists have come.
(1 Jn 2:18)​

Judas certainly could have been antichrist, but not the antichrist. The Bible doesn't identify any one antichrist. Antichrist isn't so much a person as it is, in a word, opposition to Christ. John called some of them antichrist for refusing to even acknowledge Jesus’ coming in the flesh (2 Jn 1:7).

I find this website helpful... sometimes overwhelming.

Excerpt:

If the author of the Gospel of John were an eyewitness, presumably the author would have known that Jesus and his compatriots were permitted to enter the synagogues. But at one several points it is stated that those who acknowledged Jesus as the Christ during the life of Jesus were put out of the synagogue. This anachronism is inconceivable as the product of an eyewitness.

Kysar states that most scholars today see the historical setting of the Gospel of John in the expulsion of the community from the synagogue (op. cit., p. 918). The word aposynagogos is found three times in the gospel (9:22, 12:42, 16:2).

The high claims made for Jesus and the response to them (5:18), the polemic against "the Jews" (9:18, 10:31, 18:12, 19:12), and the assertion of a superiority of Christian revelation to the Hebrew (1:18, 6:49-50, 8:58) show that "the Johannine community stood in opposition to the synagogue from which it had been expelled." (p. 918)

II Thessalonians 2:

Over 7 billion of them.

in WTF IS DAT???

The Bible is about the Israelites (and Jews). If antichrist were non-Jewish, then the whole world was antichrist except for a tiny minority of Jewish converts within an already tiny minority Jewish population.

Antiochus IV ruled the Jews from 175 to 164 BC. He is remembered as a major villain and persecutor in the Jewish traditions associated with Hanukkah, including the books of Maccabees and the " Scroll of Antiochus ".

Antiochus IV Epiphanes, (Greek: “God Manifest”) also called Antiochus Epimanes (the Mad), (born c. 215 bc —died 164, Tabae, Iran), Seleucid king of the Hellenistic Syrian kingdom who reigned from 175 to 164 bc. As a ruler he was best known for his encouragement of Greek culture and institutions. Nov 13 2019
Antiochus IV Epiphanes | Seleucid king | Britannica.com
www.britannica.com/biography/Antiochus-IV-Epiphanes

II Thessalonians 2:

Over 7 billion of them.

in WTF IS DAT???

Antiochus IV ruled the Jews from 175 to 164 BC. He is remembered as a major villain and persecutor in the Jewish traditions associated with Hanukkah, including the books of Maccabees and the " Scroll of Antiochus ".

Antiochus IV Epiphanes, (Greek: “God Manifest”) also called Antiochus Epimanes (the Mad), (born c. 215 bc —died 164, Tabae, Iran), Seleucid king of the Hellenistic Syrian kingdom who reigned from 175 to 164 bc. As a ruler he was best known for his encouragement of Greek culture and institutions. Nov 13 2019
At any rate, he wasn't the only one to ever defile the temple. Other Jews had done so as well, particularly their last priest, Phannias, who wasn't even a Levite, as far as I know.

II Thessalonians 2:

Over 7 billion of them.

in WTF IS DAT???

At any rate, he wasn't the only one to ever defile the temple. Other Jews had done so as well, particularly their last priest, Phannias, who wasn't even a Levite, as far as I know.

Antiochus IV was Greek.

Antiochus Epiphanes was a Greek king of the Seleucid Empire who reigned over Syria from 175 BC until 164 BC. He is famous for almost conquering Egypt and for his brutal persecution of the Jews, which precipitated the Maccabean revolt. Antiochus Epiphanes was a ruthless and often capricious ruler. He is properly Antiochus IV, but he took upon himself the title “Epiphanes,” which …

General Titus was the man of perdition.
Wow... well THAT'S a relief! We don't need to worry about another world leader who will shepherd us all into a global conflagration. I hadn't heard that human nature changed since Titus' time.

Wow... well THAT'S a relief! We don't need to worry about another world leader who will shepherd us all into a global conflagration. I hadn't heard that human nature changed since Titus' time.

Accurate prophecy was written after the fact. Jesus references Antiochus IV when he says that when his people see the Abomination of Desolation AGAIN , they must flee Jerusalem to avoid the tribulation. They did.. They fled to Pella.

Accurate prophecy was written after the fact. Jesus references Antiochus IV when he says that when his people see the Abomination of Desolation AGAIN , they must flee Jerusalem to avoid the tribulation. They did.. They fled to Pella.
Scripture doesn't say that Jesus referenced Antiochus. Jesus told his disciples, circa AD 30, that they would see the abomination of desolation that Daniel prophesied (Mt 24:15). That is, according to Jesus, Daniel prophesied an event that was still in the apostles' future.

I'm not aware of an exodus of Christ's followers from Jerusalem in Antiochus' time.

Last edited:
Jesus identified the Gentiles as those who would trample Jerusalem underfoot (Lk 21:24). In this case, the Romans were the Gentiles (as opposed to the diaspora). The Romans trampled Jerusalem underfoot.

During that time, antichrist proliferated, both in the temple schema and then later in the church. On the heels of the false prophets who misled the temple people came the false teachers who misled the kingdom people. The Jews were antichrist.

Scripture doesn't say that Jesus referenced Antiochus. Jesus told his disciples, circa 30 AD, that they would see the abomination of desolation that Daniel prophesied (Mt 24:15). That is, according to Jesus, Daniel prophesied an event that was still in the apostles' future.

I'm not aware of an exodus of Christ's followers from Jerusalem in Antiochus' time.

The Abomination of Desolation was during Antiochus IV's rule.. The Book of Daniel was written around 168-164 BC.

Matthew 24:16 then let those who are in Judea flee to the ...
The Christians, bearing Christ's warning in mind, and having, as we may conjecture, seen the predicted sign, took the opportunity of flight from the doomed city, and made their escape to Pella, a town of Decapotis, southeast of Bethshean, and the ruins of which are known now by the name of Fahil.

Jesus identified the Gentiles as those who would trample Jerusalem underfoot (Lk 21:24). In this case, the Romans were the Gentiles (as opposed to the diaspora). The Romans trampled Jerusalem underfoot.

During that time, antichrist proliferated, both in the temple schema and then later in the church. On the heels of the false prophets who misled the temple people came the false teachers who misled the kingdom people. The Jews were antichrist.

That's interesting..............

Scripture doesn't say that Jesus referenced Antiochus. Jesus told his disciples, circa 30 AD, that they would see the abomination of desolation that Daniel prophesied (Mt 24:15). That is, according to Jesus, Daniel prophesied an event that was still in the apostles' future.

The Abomination of Desolation was during Antiochus IV's rule.. The Book of Daniel was written around 168-164 BC.

The Christians, bearing Christ's warning in mind, and having, as we may conjecture, seen the predicted sign, took the opportunity of flight from the doomed city, and made their escape to Pella, a town of Decapotis, southeast of Bethshean, and the ruins of which are known now by the name of Fahil.
That's irrelevant. Antiochus was history for Jesus and his disciples. Jesus was warning them of a future event.

Christ's followers didn't flee to Pella in the past, before Christ; they fled to Pella in their future, when Jerusalem burned down.

II Thessalonians 2:

Over 7 billion of them.
usually he's there until the brunch at 11.

That's irrelevant. Antiochus was history for Jesus and his disciples. Jesus was warning them of a future event.

Christ's followers didn't flee to Pella in the past, before Christ; they fled to Pella in their future, when Jerusalem burned down.

I'm not doing well with this.

Matthew 24:15 So when you see standing in the holy place ...
So when you see the abomination of desolation standing where it should not be (let the reader understand), then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains. Luke 21:20 But when you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, you will know that her desolation is near.

Mountains · 15 Greek Text Analysis · Matthew 24 KJV · 15 Interlinear · Understand · Unclean
Mark 13:14 So when you see the abomination of desolation ...
The "abomination of desolation" is a Hebrew idiom, meaning "the abomination that maketh desolate." St. Luke (Luke 21:20) does not use the expression; it would have sounded strange to his Gentile readers. He says, "When ye see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that her desolation is at hand."

I'm not doing well with this.

Matthew 24:15 So when you see standing in the holy place ...
So when you see the abomination of desolation standing where it should not be (let the reader understand), then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains. Luke 21:20 But when you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, you will know that her desolation is near.

Mountains · 15 Greek Text Analysis · Matthew 24 KJV · 15 Interlinear · Understand · Unclean
Mark 13:14 So when you see the abomination of desolation ...
The "abomination of desolation" is a Hebrew idiom, meaning "the abomination that maketh desolate." St. Luke (Luke 21:20) does not use the expression; it would have sounded strange to his Gentile readers. He says, "When ye see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that her desolation is at hand."
Obviously, Jerusalem and the temple system did not become desolate with Antiochus, as it continued to go on. They became desolate with Rome. Temple culture burned to the ground with Rome.

The age ended in AD 70, with Rome.

Forum List

Back