How Deadly is a Flintlock Rifle?

If it did not have a rifled barrel, wouldn't it have been a musket? I thought if a firearm was a rifle, by definition it would have a rifled barrel.

I may be wrong and I am too lazy to google it. But I know my fellow posters here will know the answer.
Rifled musket is a term used at the time as well.

A non 1850s era rifle usually only loads once or twice a minute. With a Minie Ball variant and cartridged paper rounds we're looking at 4 aimed shots a minute.

Typical military muskets had three small balls and a larger ball for a type of tiny shotgun.

You are wrong. There were flintlock and percussion MUSKETS which were smoothbore and nearly as inaccurate as you claim. Then there were flintlock or percussion RIFLES which were very nearly as accurate as modern weapons. I’ve seen people with flintlock, black powder rifles make center of mass hits at three hundred yards. The same weapon hand built by a Pennsylvania or Kentucky gunsmith could at least approach that performance.
In the ACW, the standard Union Army rifle, the model 1861 Springfield could reliably hit a man sized target at five hundred yards. That rifle was fitted with a percussion lock, but the means of ignition had nothing to do with accuracy, percussion locks were merely more dependable than flint locks.
Leander McNelly

Do you non-combatants know anything about the 50-caliber Sharps rifle used by the Texas Rangers to terrify Mexican cattle-thieves in their illegal sanctuaries across the Rio Grande? Can you imagine getting shot with a rifle that was designed to instantly take down a 2,000-pound buffalo.

Rifled musket is a term used at the time as well.

A non 1850s era rifle usually only loads once or twice a minute. With a Minie Ball variant and cartridged paper rounds we're looking at 4 aimed shots a minute.

Typical military muskets had three small balls and a larger ball for a type of tiny shotgun.
They had the Kentucky Long Rifle during the Revolution. It was very accurate at long distances, when used by an experienced rifleman. The rebels often used it to kill British officers at long distances.

I recall reading about a famous American sniper who was present at Boston for the battle of Bunker Hill. He apparently picked off red coats in boats on the water in Boston Harbor at long distances.

You are entirely correct. By definition, a rifle has to have a rifled barrel.

I recall, a long time ago, reading an article a gun that once belonged to Annie Oakley. It was described in the article as a “smoothbore rifle”. The author of the article is an ignorant caulk bucket. By definition, there cannot be any such thing as a “smoothbore rifle”.
Today, most anything that is not a pistol is generally referred as a "long gun".

Sigh, a top-hat cap has flanges that sometimes part from the whole when fired. Pay attention asshole and know your weapon system.

OIP.-6kV_BuSyQB4YIk81XJxoAHaFj
Flanges?

They had the Kentucky Long Rifle during the Revolution. It was very accurate at long distances, when used by an experienced rifleman. The rebels often used it to kill British officers at long distances.

I recall reading about a famous American sniper who was present at Boston for the battle of Bunker Hill. He apparently picked off red coats in boats on the water in Boston Harbor at long distances.
They were almost all Pennsylvania long rifles. The first permanent settlement in Kentucky wasn’t established until 1774. I doubt there were many rifles produced in Kentucky in two years. Regardless of the name, both rifles were essentially identical in concept, but since they were all hand made by individual craftsmen There were many variations on the rifle.

All the the leftists running around saying our Second Amendment only meant we could have muskets have no concept of a .75 lead ball plowing through a human.

Fuck you King George!

Yeah, those things can be deadly, and leave really big injuries.

But they won't fire at 30 to 40 rounds per minute either (and that's in only semi auto mode, 1 trigger pull per bullet, they can be modified and made to fire much faster than that).

If it did not have a rifled barrel, wouldn't it have been a musket? I thought if a firearm was a rifle, by definition it would have a rifled barrel.

I may be wrong and I am too lazy to google it. But I know my fellow posters here will know the answer.

You are correct. Some people call them rifled muskets, but yes, if the barrel is rifled, it's a rifle.

They were almost all Pennsylvania long rifles. The first permanent settlement in Kentucky wasn’t established until 1774. I doubt there were many rifles produced in Kentucky in two years. Regardless of the name, both rifles were essentially identical in concept, but since they were all hand made by individual craftsmen There were many variations on the rifle.
Lol…

So, what made this rifle so special? In a word: accuracy. Compared to the Brown Bess used by the British Redcoats, the French soldiers who aided Washington’s army, and even the vast majority of Washington’s soldiers, the Kentucky Long Rifle (also known by other states’ names) was the most accurate firearm on the battlefield. This made a decisive difference in its employment and the results that were able to be gained from it.

While the Kentucky Long Rifle wasn’t perfect, it was clearly the best firearm on the battlefield during the Revolutionary War. Ultimately, a large percentage of our victory can be credited to the ability of these frontiersmen to use their rifles to the best advantage.

Lol…

So, what made this rifle so special? In a word: accuracy. Compared to the Brown Bess used by the British Redcoats, the French soldiers who aided Washington’s army, and even the vast majority of Washington’s soldiers, the Kentucky Long Rifle (also known by other states’ names) was the most accurate firearm on the battlefield. This made a decisive difference in its employment and the results that were able to be gained from it.

While the Kentucky Long Rifle wasn’t perfect, it was clearly the best firearm on the battlefield during the Revolutionary War. Ultimately, a large percentage of our victory can be credited to the ability of these frontiersmen to use their rifles to the best advantage.
Wishy-Washies Wearing Wigs

Victory certainly wasn't due to the self-interested cheapskates in the Continental Congress who later created the ruling class's Constitution. The way these Founding Fodder frustrated General Washington time after time (also the naval genius, John Paul Jones), it is obvious that they all had secret arrangements with the British in case he lost.

Victory certainly wasn't due to the self-interested cheapskates in the Continental Congress who later created the ruling class's Constitution. The way these Founding Fodder frustrated General Washington time after time (also the naval genius, John Paul Jones), it is obvious that they all had secret arrangements with the British in case he lost.
ceiling cat.jpg

A percussion cap is literally a cap that fits over the nipple off the hammer. It has or had a drop of fulminate of mercury sealed in the center of the cap to ignite Ignite the black powder. You could call the rim of the cap a flange.
Actually you can't call the rim of a percussion cap a "flange" because it is uniformly flush with the nipple and the entire ignition is directed to the powder charge.

Actually you can't call the rim of a percussion cap a "flange" because it is uniformly flush with the nipple and the entire ignition is directed to the powder charge.
Negative....The "wings", "flange", or whatever you want to call them are unique to the design of the "top-hat" musket cap and have remained of the same general design since the civil war.

Relic CW era musket caps.....Most were four wings but some were six. The wings were there so the cap would split/flatten upon firing and make them easier to remove during reloads. Most of the time they just fall off when the hammer is pulled back.

They also served to better orient the cap in the fingers when removed from the cap pouch as you can feel the wings.

OIP.llDCnDMw6su5dREYDFg8QwHaEN

Back before in-lines became a thing I fitted all my hunting percussion hammer rifles with a musket cap ignition system (musket nipple and hammer modification) as they were sure fire and a lot easier to both cap and de-cap than say a #11 cap.

A good rifleman could fire and reload a flintlock 3 times a minute. If the bear is within 100 yards, you might not get a second chance to fire.
A "most tremendous looking animal, and extreemly hard to kill," wrote Lewis in his journal on May 5, 1805. Clark described the grizzly as "verry large and a turrible looking animal." Clark and another member of the expedition fired 10 shots at it before it died.

Forum List

Back