How Can I Convince My Husband . . .

For some strange mysterious reason the tone of Paul Harvey's voice always forced me as a young man to venture on a chili dog eating frenzy at Sonic. Like the swallows returning to San Juan Capistrano or George Micheal lurking in a men's room I could not resist.

To this very day I can not tell you why.

But that young man grew up to be.......................................me, sans the Sonic chili dogs.

And now you know……. the rest of the story.

Last edited:
. . . that we should get another dog? We (the kids and I) all want another dog but the hubs is nixing it. He says when the cat dies. :rolleyes:

There's a 10 year old white German Shepard at the spca that needs a home. I want to go adopt her, hubs would be pissed. Hmmmm, what to do . . . .

This is my whole issue with the concept of 'marriage'.... why do you need his permission? Just go get it and say 'unlucky'.

You obviously have never been married. You are a couple, you make joint decisions about many, many things. Not stuff like whether you have corn flakes or toast for breakfast. Not whether you wear the blue shirt or the red shirt. Things like do you come home with a new Harley or cut down the 100 year old oak tree in the front yard.......that needs to be discussed so everyone is on board. The care of a smelly eating and pooping machine that chews things up......everyone needs to be on board with that decision for the marriage to continue running smoothly. It is this concept of oneness in a joint relationship that drives today's divorce rate and all that goes with it.

. . . that we should get another dog? We (the kids and I) all want another dog but the hubs is nixing it. He says when the cat dies. :rolleyes:

There's a 10 year old white German Shepard at the spca that needs a home. I want to go adopt her, hubs would be pissed. Hmmmm, what to do . . . .

This is my whole issue with the concept of 'marriage'.... why do you need his permission? Just go get it and say 'unlucky'.

Aaah but I'm wasn't seeking his permission, I was looking to convince him it was a good idea. Two different things altogether.

Could I just say 'to hell with it dear, too bad you don't think it's a good idea we do so there. Here's our new dog' and just force this decision on him, whether he was on board or not? After all, I know it's a great idea and he'll come around to liking it after the dog is here. Hmmmm, kinda sounds like what just happened with the whole h/c takeover, no?

It'd be much better to have everyone one the same page (or at least on the same chapter) so no one would be resenting anyone. After all, I wouldn't like it if he decided that a built-in swimming pool was exactly the right thing for this family and to hell with it if I didn't like . . . I'd learn to after it was in.

Marriage is a joint effort about the big decisions. Where to vacation, where to invest money, what kind of car to buy, whether we should get another dog . . . things of that nature. No matter how much we want another dog it's not worth forcing the issue if he is dead set against it and would only end up pissed. I wouldn't like it if he did that to me, so why would I do that to him? I was just looking for some good arguments to nudge his opinion.

Last edited:
I hope we get "THE REST OF THE STORY."

:confused:

<sigh> It seems to be a work in progress. College kid comes home tomorrow for Easter break. The nudging will continue. Damn, I was hoping there was a really good argument I hadn't thought of to convince him that it's a great idea to get another dog.

Forget keeping the dog, send it to me, that way I can tell my husband it was a gift and I can't take it back....we've been without a cat for over a year and without a dog for a couple of months now. I'm starting to look around but, well, hubby says "no".

See, you're in the same boat as I am! Your dog never did come back? :(

If you could get him to go to the spca do you think he'd warm to the idea? I'm working on that angle . . . . he keeps saying he doesn't want to go! lol That's cause he knows he'll cave. :lol:

I hope we get "THE REST OF THE STORY."

:confused:

<sigh> It seems to be a work in progress. College kid comes home tomorrow for Easter break. The nudging will continue. Damn, I was hoping there was a really good argument I hadn't thought of to convince him that it's a great idea to get another dog.

How can getting ANOTHER dog be a really great idea? Well to convince someone of that anyway. Twice the vet and feed bills and some property damage is normal. Also the occasional panic searches when the dog gets loose and the frantic search begins.

You have to take the tack of convincing him it is a great idea for non logical reasons, like the TV advertising or political industries.

Salesmanship for want and need are different.

Last edited:
Id ask him what his object to a dog is then consider that .
Then act pissed off until you get your way.
Isnt that how it has always worked?,

Forget keeping the dog, send it to me, that way I can tell my husband it was a gift and I can't take it back....we've been without a cat for over a year and without a dog for a couple of months now. I'm starting to look around but, well, hubby says "no".

If you could get him to go to the spca do you think he'd warm to the idea? I'm working on that angle . . . . he keeps saying he doesn't want to go! lol That's cause he knows he'll cave. :lol:

I miss the days when the stray dogs just came to your back door and decided to stay. They were the best dogs.

I miss the days when the stray dogs just came to your back door and decided to stay. They were the best dogs.

I had that happen with a year-old (vet estimate) great dane/bull mastiff mix that wandered up to the house with no collar. The best and smartest dog I ever had. He was an integral part of the family for 10 years until old age caught up with him and he died in my arms. That was a few years ago and we still miss him. He was a big baby when it rained or stormed and every time it does, our first instinct is still to open the back door and let him in the house. We had to, otherwise he would dig and chew his way thru the stockade fence. :) His name was Jake.

I've been waiting my whole life for this to happen. Once a manx kitty cat came to call, I fed her a whole can of people tune thinking she'd stay but no . . . she ate, left and I never did see her again.

I agree, the strays and mutts are the best!

This is the way it goes down in my house. I have worked off shifts my whole career, just about anyway. I get home, wife and kids tell me they want a pet... They gotta have this pet! End of the world is near without it. My heart warms and I smile and say "absolutely not, we have enough pets."

I go to bed and here comes my wife after having a tactics meeting with the kids... Sweet talking me and telling me how happy the kids would be and how if I had only seen this animal, it was soooo cuuuute! I ask for mercy and to please respect my decision that no more pets are necessary.

I wake up and new pet is in the house.

Forum List

Back