Honda to stop making hybrid Accord

red states rule

May 30, 2006
The tree huggers are not going to like this story.

The AP writer did not like it either judging from the first sentence of the article

With record gas prices, enviro wackos has been telling us we need to drive these types of cars. It seems alot of people are ignoring them

Honda to stop making hybrid Accord
Performance sedan cost more and got worse gas mileage than its rivals.

By Bree Fowler

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

NEW YORK — With gas prices reaching record highs and public interest in environmentally friendly technologies increasing, you would think that any car labeled as a hybrid would sell easily.

But Honda Motor Co. announced Tuesday that it will discontinue the hybrid version of its Accord sedan, citing disappointing sales.

http://www.statesman.com/business/content/business/stories/other/06/06/6hybrids.html

Well Honda had a good idea of making the Accord in the Hybrid form, but I don't think the Nation was ready for it yet. It could of been a good sized car with decent mileage but with the cost possibly being a factor and the fuel mileage wasn't really there yet unlike the Prius or the Civic. Although Toyota does have several SUV's and the Cmary in the Hybrid form so maybe another thing is Toyota and it's current corner in the market.

I think the problem right now with the hybrids like Accord and Prius is that they're a very niche car right now. I'm not saying it doesn't count for anything but other than gas they aren't very practical in terms of hauling anything (including todays avg sized family). And in the case of the Accord they're a little on the pricey side, 30k to start. Prius's are more affordable in the low 20k range but again still quite impractical.

The Ford Escape i see is now a hybrid. I'd like to see how that one pans out.

Well Honda had a good idea of making the Accord in the Hybrid form, but I don't think the Nation was ready for it yet. It could of been a good sized car with decent mileage but with the cost possibly being a factor and the fuel mileage wasn't really there yet unlike the Prius or the Civic. Although Toyota does have several SUV's and the Cmary in the Hybrid form so maybe another thing is Toyota and it's current corner in the market.

I had to laugh the way the "reporter" had to put his opinion in the first sentence

If the people reject the envior wacko list of things to do, there must be something wrong with them

Much like the electric car died, this thing turned out to be a bust

I think the problem right now with the hybrids like Accord and Prius is that they're a very niche car right now. I'm not saying it doesn't count for anything but other than gas they aren't very practical in terms of hauling anything (including todays avg sized family). And in the case of the Accord they're a little on the pricey side, 30k to start. Prius's are more affordable in the low 20k range but again still quite impractical.

The Ford Escape i see is now a hybrid. I'd like to see how that one pans out.

Yeah Ford has had the Escape Hybrid for a while now in the competition of the Toyotas. I looked at them but since we do a lot of on the road miles it doesn't make much sense to by a hybrid. More work is needed to make these things worthy for the future.

I had to laugh the way the "reporter" had to put his opinion in the first sentence

If the people reject the envior wacko list of things to do, there must be something wrong with them

Much like the electric car died, this thing turned out to be a bust

Agendas I guess a lot of great ideas in the automobile industry but few ever get the chance to shine. Something will have to pan out soon because it pretty has too due to our commuter world we live in. I'm surprised we haven't adopted some of Europe’s ideas for good fuel mileage and stop hiding behind the smog and emissions as a reason not to invest in it.

Yeah Ford has had the Escape Hybrid for a while now in the competition of the Toyotas. I looked at them but since we do a lot of on the road miles it doesn't make much sense to by a hybrid. More work is needed to make these things worthy for the future.

That and they're uglier than sin. Which like or not counts for something.

That and they're uglier than sin. Which like or not counts for something.

I have an escape it is my wifes and I kind of like them myself. They are much more beefier looking than the original models that came out 8-9 years ago. We have a base model and it does what it is supposed to do. We average about 23-25 MPG a tank considering it is off the ground and has drag in both directions top and bottom.

The problem with the Accord Hybrid is that it has sold just 25,000 units since 2004. No major car company will put up with such dismal sales results. Why did the car do so poorly in the market? Probably has something to do with the fact that while costing more than $30K, the thing only delivered 28mpg. Not much of a tree-hugger. In contrast, the Honda Civic Hybrid costs around $22K and delivers 49mpg. Case closed. http://www.forbes.com/markets/2007/06/06/honda-accord-hybrid-markets-equity-cx_vk_0606markets1.html

That is true on the units sold, I mean like posted earlier folks aren't real comfortable with a 30K price tag and no real hauling cability. It may have had it since it came with the 3.0 V-6 but it must not have offered a warm fuzzy to the market. I mean Hondas are just now being bought for fleet use in rentals, that is a first for that manufacture.

That is true on the units sold, I mean like posted earlier folks aren't real comfortable with a 30K price tag and no real hauling cability. It may have had it since it came with the 3.0 V-6 but it must not have offered a warm fuzzy to the market. I mean Hondas are just now being bought for fleet use in rentals, that is a first for that manufacture.

The Toyota Echo is a great little car

125,000 miles and still runs great - 40 mpg

The Toyota Echo is a great little car

125,000 miles and still runs great - 40 mpg

Speaking of that little shit I can fit in that car great and I'm over 6'4" and 250. That 1.5 VVT engine rocks the house and yes it gets 40 plus depending on how you drive it. I'd hate to get into a serious accident because it would be Caty bar the door for me!

Speaking of that little shit I can fit in that car great and I'm over 6'4" and 250. That 1.5 VVT engine rocks the house and yes it gets 40 plus depending on how you drive it. I'd hate to get into a serious accident because it would be Caty bar the door for me!

The car is great. I drive 60 miles one way to work and it does well on gas

Toyota quit making the Echo, the Corolla is another nice car with the same platform just bigger and same engine. The VVT really handles the power even with the A/C on and it pretty much is effortless given the size of the motor.

Toyota quit making the Echo, the Corolla is another nice car with the same platform just bigger and same engine. The VVT really handles the power even with the A/C on and it pretty much is effortless given the size of the motor.

When my Echo dies I will check them out

Consumer Reports loved the Echo - and so do I

Regarding small cars, the Mercedes Smart-For-Two Hybrid will be available for sale in the US in 2007-8. As a hybrid, this little unit should deliver great gas milage. It might not be much for traveling from city to city, or transporting a large person, but for some who only travel city streets, it might be just right. I saw these zipping around London in 2003.

daimlerchrysler-smartfortwo.jpg

http://www.hybrid-vehicles.net/daimlerchrysler-mercedes-smartfortwo.htm

The problem with the Accord Hybrid is that it has sold just 25,000 units since 2004. No major car company will put up with such dismal sales results. Why did the car do so poorly in the market? Probably has something to do with the fact that while costing more than $30K, the thing only delivered 28mpg. No much of a tree-hugger. In contrast, the Honda Civic Hybrid costs around $22K and delivers 49mpg. Case closed. http://www.forbes.com/markets/2007/06/06/honda-accord-hybrid-markets-equity-cx_vk_0606markets1.html

Yep. Also I think there's hesitation on a "bigger" car like the Accord... I guess when you get a hybrid, you want to 'go all the way' and have a smaller car, too. Like who wants a hybrid Cadillac? That just doesn't sound right.

Forum List

Back