Homeschooling: the ultimate results

Yep, teaching bigotry and hatred of tens of millions of your follow Americans is such a wonderful things.

There's a reason 90% of kids go to public school! Parents don't have the fucking time when they have to work to make a rich man richer to just have a roof over their goddamn head.

Manufacturing jobs are the kind of jobs that enable One Income Families.

It may take me some time to process this post. I really don't have the slightest idea what you are trying to say. But, speaking from personal experience, my stepfather had a manufacturing job at Ford when I was growing up, and the only thing it enabled for me was the fact that if I wanted lunch money for school, I had to work everyday after school and all day Saturday all through high school. Of course, years later, after I had moved out, the union had managed to get him a stock option and profit sharing plan that enabled him to retire with a little dignity.

That's counter to the information I've had about manufacturing jobs, especially old school car plants.

There might be something unusual about your earlier situation, unusual expenses or something.

Nope. The facts were simple. My step father had a manufacturing job at Ford, because he quit school in the 7th grade to support his mother, brothers and sisters after his father died, and that was the best job he could get. He worked all of his life at a job he hated, and we were poor. There was absolutely nothing about his working for 50 years at Ford manufacturing that anyone could possibly find positive, other than the fact that it kept food on the table at home. As for us kids, we all started work by the age of 14, and never asked for a dime thereafter. We all went to public school, and we all prospered.

That sounds much like my family, except my father worked two full-time jobs. When I graduated college, I made more money in my first year than my father had done after working in any of his 25 years for General Electric.

Homeschooling makes a lot of sense

A high school graduate is eminently more capable of educating children in math, science, literature, computers, foreign language than someone with a masters degree and extensive knowledge in a given subject

Education outcome is primarily driven by parental involvement.

Your sides celebration of single motherhood shows that you don't give a damn about education.
What does single motherhood have to do with the qualifications of a homeschool parent?
Love and motivation do not compensate for years of training and experience

Actually the numbers say that they do.

Education outcome is primarily a result of parental involvement.

A single mother is going to have less time and energy to devote to her child(s)' education than a mother and a father.

We've known this since the 60s.

Do you need a link to learn about this well known fact, that has been discussed on this site over and over again for years?

I think many parents can make great homeschool teachers. Ones that are motivated, educated and innovative

I doubt that most American parents fit the bill
I think most American parents do fit the bill.

Apparently you are unwilling to even put that to the test by getting out of their way and letting them control the education of their kids.

There is your error.

You do know that 50% of all parents are below average.
Only according to a subjective standard which you pulled out of your ass.

What subjective standard is that?

You don't even realize I just destroyed your argument and you think you won!

First of all that is very arguable. While no one I know of is claiming education in general is a bad thing your assertion that it is THE cause of American greatness is a dubious and highly ignorant statement.

Second yes many ARE forced to do so through truancy laws.
Free public school education has been the great equalizer in this country
And once again that is merely a general opinion not something which can be demonstrated.
It has been demonstrated millions of times over
No it never has the burden is on you to demonstrate it not some vague other.
Poor children from struggling families could never afford an education
Free public education made it possible to succeed
Sure they could and they often got an education.

Yes it is.

***Home schoolers overwhelmingly ARE in fact better educated than public schools which merely goes to show when people are left alone they will manage for themselves without state coercion which invariably fails

You keep forgetting the word "some" at the beginning of your statement.

No I did not because it would not be accurate.

As a public school teacher, I had countless students that were homeschooled and then the parents woke up and enrolled them in public school. Most of them were two to three years behind in their math skills.

I know the problem. You live in La-La land!
Oh god I remember..you're a TEACHER. That explains both your stupidity and your dishonesty.
I owe my success as a renowned messageboard poster to my excellent teachers

I see they failed you
You mean ridiculed failure as a poster.

90% of parents can't home school anyways....They have to fucking work their asses off just to afford the roof and food! This shit can never work as this is reality! Maybe a few percent of parents have the education and the free time to do so but that isn't a good reason to destroy public education.

1. If we had a school voucher system, that could be used for home schooling, that would be easier for more people.

2. Different schedules can be set up so that one parent is always there. That's what my wife and I did to avoid paying for child care.

3. Economic and trade and immigration policies to serve the interests of the working poor and middle class could help with that., the policies that you lefties and establishment republicans are fighting against so hard.

4. Older kids, depending on maturity, could be self motivating with the proper resources.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda.

If you can homeschool, great! Do it! Just don't claim that everyone can do it and every kid that does is guaranteed a spot in Harvard's freshman class.

Well, that was a nice helping of crazy.

YOu got anything to say that addresses anything I actually said?

I did. All of that is possible with SOME students. To say that everyone can meet those requirements is disingenuous.

Vouchers should never be given to homeschoolers. as it takes away funds for other students.

Some people do not choose their work schedules. My wife and I were lucky and we did for child care reasons.

I am about as lefty as Attila the Hun, so I don't know where you get that BS.

Older kids may do well, but then again some might not.

I disagree that vouchers take funds from other students. Home schooling parents pay taxes just like everyone else does. All vouchers do is give them some of it back.

1. If we had a school voucher system, that could be used for home schooling, that would be easier for more people.

2. Different schedules can be set up so that one parent is always there. That's what my wife and I did to avoid paying for child care.

3. Economic and trade and immigration policies to serve the interests of the working poor and middle class could help with that., the policies that you lefties and establishment republicans are fighting against so hard.

4. Older kids, depending on maturity, could be self motivating with the proper resources.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda.

If you can homeschool, great! Do it! Just don't claim that everyone can do it and every kid that does is guaranteed a spot in Harvard's freshman class.

I did. All of that is possible with SOME students. To say that everyone can meet those requirements is disingenuous.

Vouchers should never be given to homeschoolers. as it takes away funds for other students.

Some people do not choose their work schedules. My wife and I were lucky and we did for child care reasons.

I specifically said more, not all.

If the school is educating fewer kids, they need less money. There is no reason why, if we give the money to the parents that the parents cannot choose themselves as the educators.

IF THIS encourages stay at home mothers, imo, that would be a good thing.

If a school is educating fewer students, it needs the same amount of money or class sizes grow. It is a difficult concept for people to wrap themselves around.

Let us say that you have a small elementary school with 5 teachers in third grade, for 100 students, so each class has 20.

Vouchers come along and just 4 kids take the vouchers and run. Now you have 96 students, but funding has been cut so now that 5th teacher has to go.

Now you have 96 students with 4 teachers, so what is your class size? The class size jumped to 24.

Now, let us look at other costs. With just 4 students gone, did we decrease the number of buses? No. Could we decrease the electric bill? No. Could we lay off a cafeteria worker? No. Could we get rid of an administrator? No. Can we lay off a custodian? No. Are there any other significant savings in the schools operation? No.

The funds for those students are now gone, but the costs for the school itself remained almost the same.

Let us just say that one of those children was in special education classes. Can you lay off the teacher because you lost just one student? No. Where did the school save any money? It didn't.

BTW, my wife was stay at home mom, but because public school teachers get paid less than garbage men, she had to work nights and I worked days. I went my first 10 years of teaching without seeing my wife Monday through Friday. You do what you have to do.

If the end result is more control for the parents and better education, I'm fine with paying more during the transition.

Even if it takes a while.

I stated fact not theory and a truly educated person knows that anecdotes ( which is your one example ) prove nothing.

You stated no evidence of any sort to undermine or challenge the facts and my facts were not absolutes but generalizations supported by evidence as many throughout the thread have shown,

My anecdotes are acquired through years of personal experience. What do you have? Stats that you haven't provided and if you did could be easily disproven in a matter of seconds.

As I said other provided them and you refuse to even look at them and it is irrelevant where anecdotes come from they are evidence of nothing at all.

You are arguing from authority without any credible authority which is a logical fallacy.

You actually admitted you have seen the stats proving you wrong but discount them because........you do not like them.

You have offered nothing of any credibility to refute them

Yes, I am arguing from a position of authority because I have 20 years teaching experience, served as a school administrator, and have a Master's degree in Education. What is your level of experience?

Grandiose claims on the internet are not credible and I have stated what evidence I am referring to some of which you have cited but not refuted

Grandiose claims?

You are trolling! That is all there is to it.

I have yet to see any links, except those posted by the OP which I have on ignore for being an idiot above and beyond the call of duty.

If you have a link, post it and I will destroy it in a matter of seconds.

Yes grandiose claims.

Ignoring the op means you cannot refute it.

You have yet to destroy it or even challenge it.

You have yet to destroy or challenge the very stats you cited on your own.

Start there.

You don't have to have a great education yourself to give your child one. There are resources that make that possible.

Of course there are. That's where the ones with the high SATs come from. Many don't take advantage of those resources, and nothing in federal law says they have to. If there were requirements for parents to use those resources, or to determine if the child is being taught anything, then home schooling might be a viable option.
Agree
Make home schoolers meet the same standards a public school must meet. If you don't, your kid gets placed in public school

Let the kids take the SOL's. As long as they do well, leave them the heck alone.

That would be great, except there are generally no requirements to do anything to prove the kids actually learned anything.

What do we do with the kids in government schools who don't learn anything?

They don't graduate.

Homeschoolers dodge mandatory attendance laws in many cases. If they were actually required to learn something, they could not do that.

Yep, teaching bigotry and hatred of tens of millions of your follow Americans is such a wonderful things.

There's a reason 90% of kids go to public school! Parents don't have the fucking time when they have to work to make a rich man richer to just have a roof over their goddamn head.

Manufacturing jobs are the kind of jobs that enable One Income Families.

It may take me some time to process this post. I really don't have the slightest idea what you are trying to say. But, speaking from personal experience, my stepfather had a manufacturing job at Ford when I was growing up, and the only thing it enabled for me was the fact that if I wanted lunch money for school, I had to work everyday after school and all day Saturday all through high school. Of course, years later, after I had moved out, the union had managed to get him a stock option and profit sharing plan that enabled him to retire with a little dignity.

That's counter to the information I've had about manufacturing jobs, especially old school car plants.

There might be something unusual about your earlier situation, unusual expenses or something.

Nope. The facts were simple. My step father had a manufacturing job at Ford, because he quit school in the 7th grade to support his mother, brothers and sisters after his father died, and that was the best job he could get. He worked all of his life at a job he hated, and we were poor. There was absolutely nothing about his working for 50 years at Ford manufacturing that anyone could possibly find positive, other than the fact that it kept food on the table at home. As for us kids, we all started work by the age of 14, and never asked for a dime thereafter. We all went to public school, and we all prospered.

Are you extremely old?

So...they will be SO prepared for those things as an adult in the work force.
I know....those homeschool kids will be forced to work with negroes

Oh get a grip.
Are you saying the racial makeup of the local school doesn’t play into the decision to homeschool?

I'm saying people decide to home school for many reasons. Insisting they're racist is just plain hateful and stupid.
There are many reasons other than the best education that come into play
Race, religion, control

Of course.

And factually true

Let me guess! You are self-employed and never worked for anyone else!

Am I right?
You are way wrong actually I have never owned a business and have always worked for others.

Then you are either lying or extremely insulated from reality.
Neither merely stating obvious facts.
What people do in their private life is one thing but in nearly every place of business it is not permitted to do drugs or vandalize property or attack people the way we see kids behaving in many inner city schools.

You are confused. We were talking about a totally different subject. Please try to keep up.
It is you who is confused as that was the issue you were responding to with silly platitudes.

More than one specific conversation is going on, do try to keep up little man.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda.

If the school is educating fewer kids, they need less money. There is no reason why, if we give the money to the parents that the parents cannot choose themselves as the educators.

If a school is educating fewer students, it needs the same amount of money or class sizes grow. It is a difficult concept for people to wrap themselves around.

Let us say that you have a small elementary school with 5 teachers in third grade, for 100 students, so each class has 20.

Vouchers come along and just 4 kids take the vouchers and run. Now you have 96 students, but funding has been cut so now that 5th teacher has to go.

Now you have 96 students with 4 teachers, so what is your class size? The class size jumped to 24.

Now, let us look at other costs. With just 4 students gone, did we decrease the number of buses? No. Could we decrease the electric bill? No. Could we lay off a cafeteria worker? No. Could we get rid of an administrator? No. Can we lay off a custodian? No. Are there any other significant savings in the schools operation? No.

The funds for those students are now gone, but the costs for the school itself remained almost the same.

Let us just say that one of those children was in special education classes. Can you lay off the teacher because you lost just one student? No. Where did the school save any money? It didn't.

BTW, my wife was stay at home mom, but because public school teachers get paid less than garbage men, she had to work nights and I worked days. I went my first 10 years of teaching without seeing my wife Monday through Friday. You do what you have to do.

If the end result is more control for the parents and better education, I'm fine with paying more during the transition.

What transition? Vouchers are a complete and utter failure. If you are pinning your hopes on vouchers ever become a solution to the challenges in public education, I have a bridge that I would like to sell you.

Parents have control. You can let your kids attend public schools, pay for them to attend private schools, or homeschool them. That's a lot more choices than most people honestly have.

I think many parents can make great homeschool teachers. Ones that are motivated, educated and innovative

I doubt that most American parents fit the bill
I think most American parents do fit the bill.

Apparently you are unwilling to even put that to the test by getting out of their way and letting them control the education of their kids.

There is your error.

You do know that 50% of all parents are below average.
Only according to a subjective standard which you pulled out of your ass.

What subjective standard is that?

You don't even realize I just destroyed your argument and you think you won!

The standard used to assert that 50% of all parents are below average. The standard for that statement is strictly and exclusively a subjective one maiming it only your uninformed opinion.

You destroyed nothing little boy.

Try and understand your airy assertions are nothing more than vague statements you dreamed up out of thin air. Such delusions are not a valid argument.

You have yet to destroy or even challenge any post on this thread from anyone in any way shape or form you have only pronounced that they are wrong you claimed to be a teacher.

No wonder public education is in the toilet if idiots like you are trying to teach.

Oh get a grip.
Are you saying the racial makeup of the local school doesn’t play into the decision to homeschool?

I'm saying people decide to home school for many reasons. Insisting they're racist is just plain hateful and stupid.
Race, religion, control

When a lib cries racism, the only meaning it carries is as a "sign of life".

It has no meaning besides that. THey certainly don't believe it or care.

When the lib in question stops calling good people racist, it is time to call the Organ Recovery team.
Fear of negroes is one reason many people homeschool. What if your daughter wants to date one

In my case it was my son who gave us the most beautiful brown skinned grandchildren ever.

What transition? Vouchers are a complete and utter failure. If you are pinning your hopes on vouchers ever become a solution to the challenges in public education, I have a bridge that I would like to sell you.

Parents have control. You can let your kids attend public schools, pay for them to attend private schools, or homeschool them. That's a lot more choices than most people honestly have.

1. I'm not. I expect cyber schools, and software AI teaching to become a solution..

2. Paying for private is not an option for many. Giving the parents control over the kids education funding would help.

3. And yes, homeschooling is a option. ONe that should be supported.

Free public school education has been the great equalizer in this country
And once again that is merely a general opinion not something which can be demonstrated.
Only when it was free public school education
Girls? What do they need an education for

Race, religion, control

When a lib cries racism, the only meaning it carries is as a "sign of life".

It has no meaning besides that. THey certainly don't believe it or care.

When the lib in question stops calling good people racist, it is time to call the Organ Recovery team.
Fear of negroes is one reason many people homeschool. What if your daughter wants to date one

In my case it was my son who gave us the most beautiful brown skinned grandchildren ever.
That’s great!

So if public schools are bad, It's OK with you that home schoolers don't even have to be at least that good?

Yes it is.

Home schoolers overwhelmingly ARE in fact better educated than public schools which merely goes to show when people are left alone they will manage for themselves without state coercion which invariably fails

Are you basing that on all home schooled students, or just the ones who take college entrance exams? Many don't bother with those exams. You still didn't answer the question though.
I clearly did answer it.

YES IT IS.

As in yes it is ok and explained why.

NOT taking a college entrance exam does not indicate a lack of education so your singling out that example is irrelevant.

Not taking an entrance exam does indicate you can't use them in your example of how home schooled children compare to public schooled children. Your comparison is just taking the top home schoolers and comparing them to all public schooled children.

Sure you can as not all public school kids take those exams either

Wrong. In many states, the ACT or SAT is used for school accountability. I have watched students never open their test booklet, randomly mark their answer sheets, and take a nap. There is no carrot and no stick to get them to even try to do well on the test, but these are the same tests you amateurs use to show the decline in test scores over the years that really have not occurred except by forcing kids to take a test they have no interest in taking.

Only when it was free public school education
Girls? What do they need an education for

There is no such thing as FREE anything much less education and people did better with education when left alone by the state.

Women included.

Forum List

Back