Homemade Kefir

Wake

Easygoing Conservative
Jun 11, 2013
Hi there. :bye1:

Anyone here ever tried kefir? 'Ke-FEER.'

It's like a cross between yogurt and buttermilk. Also, kefir's effervescent, like a dairy champagne.

First I drank 'Lifeway' kefir bought from Wal-Mart, and it was good, but it had 11 grams of sugar per serving!

So I started making my own by purchasing 'kefir grains,' and this last week has been like an interesting science project. Fermenting milk and turning it into something that's really delicious and healthy. Could have put this in the food section, but the topic's a bit more general, in that I was wondering how many of you guys consider your gut health and the balance of your gut flora.

Think you'd wanna try kefir out? If so you'd probably wanna buy it first before making it. For systemic candida overgrowth sufferers like me and those who are lactose intolerant or deal with Crohn's disease [among other stuff], this has been a really good thing for my health.

It's a bit rare to find real, REAL food that you actually make, that hasn't been processed or produced by big corporations. I like making fermented foods and growing my own heirloom produce. Kefir's from ancient turkey, and many heirlooms are like pieces of history from 200 years ago. It's really neat, and with your kefir you can 'ripen it by fermenting it a second time as the curds separate from the whey, and you can even make kefir cheese that you can eat without dietary consequences.

Just curious, really, and wanted to share some of my experiences with this stuff with you guys. The kefir grains you can buy online, and they're basically protein-bacteria complexes that look like pieces of cauliflower, and you can actually eat them for a probiotic punch. People always say you should eat yogurt because they have probiotic strains of bacteria in 'em. Yogurt's got, what, five kinds of bacteria? Store-bought kefir has about twelve strains. Homemade kefir has up to sixty [yes, SIXTY] different kinds of good bacteria for your gut, and it's loaded with goodies like folate and other vitamins and such.

I'm thinking of adding a few more bits of stuff about kefir and fermented foods and sources in this thread, later on. Right now I'm on the fourth batch of homemade kefir, and they're finally working right. This weekend I'll try making some cheese, and start working on simultaneous batches [mainly I'm desperate to find ways to improve my health]. So far it's been fun, and in the process I get to make my own whey protein, too, which isn't half-bad or loaded with sugar, dyes, and flavorings.

Who else knows about kefir, or is a bit interested in it? :tongue:

It's like a cross between yogurt and buttermilk. Also, kefir's effervescent, like a dairy champagne.

First I drank 'Lifeway' kefir bought from Wal-Mart, and it was good, but it had 11 grams of sugar per serving!

So I started making my own by purchasing 'kefir grains,' and this last week has been like an interesting science project. Fermenting milk and turning it into something that's really delicious and healthy. Could have put this in the food section, but the topic's a bit more general, in that I was wondering how many of you guys consider your gut health and the balance of your gut flora.

Think you'd wanna try kefir out? If so you'd probably wanna buy it first before making it. For systemic candida overgrowth sufferers like me and those who are lactose intolerant or deal with Crohn's disease [among other stuff], this has been a really good thing for my health.

It's a bit rare to find real, REAL food that you actually make, that hasn't been processed or produced by big corporations. I like making fermented foods and growing my own heirloom produce. Kefir's from ancient turkey, and many heirlooms are like pieces of history from 200 years ago. It's really neat, and with your kefir you can 'ripen it by fermenting it a second time as the curds separate from the whey, and you can even make kefir cheese that you can eat without dietary consequences.

Just curious, really, and wanted to share some of my experiences with this stuff with you guys. The kefir grains you can buy online, and they're basically protein-bacteria complexes that look like pieces of cauliflower, and you can actually eat them for a probiotic punch. People always say you should eat yogurt because they have probiotic strains of bacteria in 'em. Yogurt's got, what, five kinds of bacteria? Store-bought kefir has about twelve strains. Homemade kefir has up to sixty [yes, SIXTY] different kinds of good bacteria for your gut, and it's loaded with goodies like folate and other vitamins and such.

I'm thinking of adding a few more bits of stuff about kefir and fermented foods and sources in this thread, later on. Right now I'm on the fourth batch of homemade kefir, and they're finally working right. This weekend I'll try making some cheese, and start working on simultaneous batches [mainly I'm desperate to find ways to improve my health]. So far it's been fun, and in the process I get to make my own whey protein, too, which isn't half-bad or loaded with sugar, dyes, and flavorings.

I'm interested but my room mates might be creeped out.

When I lived in Turkey they made their own yogurt in the frige, but you just can't find unpasteurized milk at our local supermarket.

I thought I found some last week at the foo foo market, similar to Whole Foods, but I'm not sure if my eyes were decieving me.

Does the milk need to be unpasteurized?

And whats all this "grains" stuff?

I'm interested but my room mates might be creeped out.

When I lived in Turkey they made their own yogurt in the frige, but you just can't find unpasteurized milk at our local supermarket.

I thought I found some last week at the foo foo market, similar to Whole Foods, but I'm not sure if my eyes were decieving me.

Does the milk need to be unpasteurized?

And whats all this "grains" stuff?

I've been making mine with pasteurized milk [Vitamin D/whole milk], and it's been alright. From what I've read, using raw and organic whole milk is best, but that stuff is actually banned in some states! Not sure about WI or the state you're in.

The grains are unique complexes of both protein and bacteria. You put them in milk, and over the hours they'll gobble up all of the milk sugars [lactose], and leave you with a whole 'nother product.

kefir-grains.jpg

Bought mine on yemoos.com, and they're wonderful.

Hey, here's a video for you guys. :p

Last edited:
Kefir-Probiotic-Facts.jpg

7 Kefir Benefits and Nutrition Facts - Dr. Axe

One of the most probiotic foods out there.^

I'm starting to enjoy the taste of homemade kefir, and you can actually flavor it, too! Thinking about adding in a piece of vanilla bean or a bit of lemon rind to see how it turns out. :D

I dunno. Maybe a health food store? Probably better to just buy them online. Some grains aren't good quality, and some are dangerous if not handled properly.

I read that in some cases, if you don't keep your kefir covered with something while it's fermenting at room temperature, unwanted bacteria can enter and grow. The best thing to do is either keep a lid lightly on your jar, or use a coffee filter and a rubber band. That way there's less risk of an unwanted pathogen falling into your kefir jar and growing over the next 1-2 days.

I looove kefir :eusa_dance:

Please don't compare it to buttermilk though. That stuff is RANK :puke:

Thanks for this thread. Will keep watching.

Edit --- whoa, whoa... "effervescent"??
Although that's one of my favorite words just for the sound of it, if I ever found my kefir to be effervescent I'd get a pair of channel locks and keep it at arms length while taking it out to a toxic dump. It isn't supposed to be effervescent. At least I've never seen it that way, ever.

i thought this was about smoke....and you just misspelled it

:wink_2:

Last edited:
I read that in some cases, if you don't keep your kefir covered with something while it's fermenting at room temperature, unwanted bacteria can enter and grow. The best thing to do is either keep a lid lightly on your jar, or use a coffee filter and a rubber band. That way there's less risk of an unwanted pathogen falling into your kefir jar and growing over the next 1-2 days.

Why not one of these?

upload_2015-6-16_20-55-17.png

Not sure how much to drink, tbh. I can't get enough of it. However, storebought has a lot more sugar and less probiotics and vitamins. The taste is different. A little sour [which is natural], but also bubbly [effervescent], and rich. And that's the unflavored stuff. Put in some organic lemon rind or vanilla bean or a bit of cinnamon stick and you've got yourself a treat. Haven't tried using raw milk, and my developing kefir looks a bit different than the one in the youtube vid. I bet the quality is better if you use a raw/organic/whole and unpasteurized milk. Tempting.

Kefir is definitely supposed to be effervescent. Bubbly. Same with real, fermented kimchi. The bacteria that cause the fermentation release either oxygen or carbon [can't remember which], which causes the fermented stuff to have that element to it. The main reason it's called the champagne of dairy is because like champagne it's got the bubbly. :D

I'd like to try making my own saurkraut, fermented pickles, and kombucha tea in the future. As for kefir you can also use goat milk, water, and coconut milk. The benefit of using coconut milk/water is that for candida sufferers you also get the capric and caprylic acids which poke holes in and kill the candida albicans cells.

Forum List

Back