Holiness Nuts Handle Rattlesnakes in Tennessee

So if my religion said I must smoke crack to show how much I love my god, I have the right to smoke that crack?
The kid is not right, the state has laws about capturing wild animals and poisonous snake for one, plus they have laws against what he is practicing due to people dying.

Fair enough.
If there is a TN law banning the capture of these snakes then he shouldn;t do it.

While the Bible does tell us to obey man's law unless they contradict God's, there is no 'commandment' to take up serpents.
Only that they'll be able to.

:cool:

So if my religion said I must smoke crack to show how much I love my god, I have the right to smoke that crack?
The kid is not right, the state has laws about capturing wild animals and poisonous snake for one, plus they have laws against what he is practicing due to people dying.

Fair enough.
If there is a TN law banning the capture of these snakes then he shouldn;t do it.

While the Bible does tell us to obey man's law unless they contradict God's, there is no 'commandment' to take up serpents.

Since picking up snakes or drinking deadly poisons is not a commandment, then doing so serves no actual purpose. Is that what you mean, hortysir?

Then why is this man picking up serpents? Where is the commanmdent that tells him to do so?

Or is this what is meant by "testing god"--doing something dangerous and not commanded?

A young Holiness preacher near Lafolette, TN is handling snakes during his worship services illegally. He has been turned down on one appeal but is pushing it to the supreme court. He says it's his right in this country to worship almighty GAWD in any manner he sees fit.

Young snake handlers say they grasp the power of faith

If I attended his service, which is highly unlikely because I don't believe any of that bullshit, I'd pray that one of those big timber rattlers would bite him right on the buttocks.

He is definitely crazy, but he is also right.

How so?

The constitution prevents the government from making any law that infringes on anyone's religion.

Why do I have to explain that?

Members of the Indian church have the right to do peyote.

Fair enough.

Since picking up snakes or drinking deadly poisons is not a commandment, then doing so serves no actual purpose. Is that what you mean, hortysir?

Then why is this man picking up serpents? Where is the commanmdent that tells him to do so?

Or is this what is meant by "testing god"--doing something dangerous and not commanded?

He does not have to show one.

He is definitely crazy, but he is also right.

How so?

The constitution prevents the government from making any law that infringes on anyone's religion.

You do, because you are wrong. The state has laws against capturing wild animals. He violated state laws.
Like I said even if my religion said I must smoke crack, doesn't mean I can legally smoke crack.

You do, because you are wrong. The state has laws against capturing wild animals. He violated state laws.
Like I said even if my religion said I must smoke crack, doesn't mean I can legally smoke crack.

First, you have to prove he actually broke the law by capturing the snake from the wild. Just because the story says most of them do it does not mean he did, does it?

Second, there is a law in Louisiana that specifically targets snake handling in church, even if the snakes are legally purchased.

Third, you are wrong about the crack thing.

First, you have to prove he actually broke the law by capturing the snake from the wild. Just because the story says most of them do it does not mean he did, does it?

Second, there is a law in Louisiana that specifically targets snake handling in church, even if the snakes are legally purchased.

Lol

So under sharia law you are allowed to stone your wife if she is unfaithful, but it is still against the law in the US to stone your wife. See how that works?

But is this guy commanded by his religion to pick up serpents?

If not, then how can you use Freedom of religion to defend his actions?

You have excuse QW, he doesn't really understand how state laws work and what exactly freedom of religion means.

My guess is I can cite a lot more cases to back my position up than you can to back yours up. want to give it a whirl?

Lol

So under sharia law you are allowed to stone your wife if she is unfaithful, but it is still against the law in the US to stone your wife. See how that works?

Much clearer than you do. Picking up a snake is not murder.

Oh! And it is also against the law to have poisonous snakes.
So tell me where in the state he would have bought a rattle snake?

Tell me something Luissa, why can a believer in Santeria kill chickens in his house when state and local laws specifically prohibit the butchering of animals in homes?

Lol

Much clearer than you do. Picking up a snake is not murder.

Um, I see my point flew right over your head.
The point is even though what he is doing is against the law, doesn't mean it is unconstitutional or infringing on his right to freedom of religion.

Too bad there does not seem to be a scripture in the bible saying. "Be thee not stupid, if thou doest stupid shit thee will die".

Tell me something Luissa, why can a believer in Santeria kill chickens in his house when state and local laws specifically prohibit the butchering of animals in homes?

I am off to work, you aren't even worth arguing with at this point. Lol

Forum List

Back