Hispanic Students Vanishing From Alabama Schools Following Immigration Law

Good, think of all the money Republicans will save closing the schools. They don't believe education is worth anything anyway.

I think that is the point.

There are probably some great doctors and scientists who will now not get the education they need.

Republicans are dumb as a box of rocks.

One consequence of Alabama's immigrtaion law: Hispanic students are being pulled out of schools by parents who fear they will be targeted for deportation.

Hispanic Students Absent From Alabama Schools Following Controversial Immigration Law

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- Hispanic students have started vanishing from Alabama public schools in the wake of a court ruling that upheld the state's tough new law cracking down on illegal immigration.

Education officials say scores of immigrant families have withdrawn their children from classes or kept them home this week, afraid that sending the kids to school would draw attention from authorities.

There are no precise statewide numbers. But several districts with large immigrant enrollments – from small towns to large urban districts – reported a sudden exodus of children of Hispanic parents, some of whom told officials they planned to leave the state to avoid trouble with the law, which requires schools to check students' immigration status.

The anxiety has become so intense that the superintendent in one of the state's largest cities, Huntsville, went on a Spanish-language television show Thursday to try to calm widespread worries.

Simple solution for the wetbacks in Alabama. Just move to Texas. Rick Perry will be more than happy to provide the wetback children with free secondary education and in-state college tuition!

I have a better idea. How about the CRIMINAL aliens return to their countries of origin and STAY THERE!

One consequence of Alabama's immigrtaion law: Hispanic students are being pulled out of schools by parents who fear they will be targeted for deportation.

Hispanic Students Absent From Alabama Schools Following Controversial Immigration Law

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- Hispanic students have started vanishing from Alabama public schools in the wake of a court ruling that upheld the state's tough new law cracking down on illegal immigration.

Education officials say scores of immigrant families have withdrawn their children from classes or kept them home this week, afraid that sending the kids to school would draw attention from authorities.

There are no precise statewide numbers. But several districts with large immigrant enrollments – from small towns to large urban districts – reported a sudden exodus of children of Hispanic parents, some of whom told officials they planned to leave the state to avoid trouble with the law, which requires schools to check students' immigration status.

The anxiety has become so intense that the superintendent in one of the state's largest cities, Huntsville, went on a Spanish-language television show Thursday to try to calm widespread worries.

Simple solution for the wetbacks in Alabama. Just move to Texas. Rick Perry will be more than happy to provide the wetback children with free secondary education and in-state college tuition!

I have a better idea. How about the CRIMINAL aliens return to their countries of origin and STAY THERE!

Then there would be no one left but native Americans.

Well, I'm not going to act all surprised as if I didn't see this coming but didn't the Obama Administration repeal this or in the acts of repealing this? It doesn't matter any more because the Supreme Court has constitutional grounds to repealing such a law; the Hispanics in Alabama will be in my prayers but then again I'll pray for all Hispanics living in the United States and in Mexico. I believe that there ought to be a balanced amendment that would provide illegal immigrants to obtain citizenship; their taxes that they owe will be in debt to them but according to their salary we'll treat them as any other citizen who makes that salary, a certain percentage is paid every year.

Hey man its not only hispanics who are here criminally ;).

And Im sure all the legal hispanic immigrants and other legal immigrants are not bothered at all.

Yup. That's the problem with laws like that.

My ex-girlfriend was born here of Mexican parents. Her entire family is here in California legally. However, when Arizona passed their F'ed up law, none of her family, her included, would go to Arizona for fear of being detained.

And they are all American Citizens.

That's not right.

Did you tell them don't be stupid.

There was no provision in that law whatsoever that permitted anyone to be detained who was not otherwise committing a crime.

The word consequence implies something negative. What is the problem?

If those Hispanic students were born here and are citizens.

Then all they need do is produce documentation if asked. The law only says that illegal immigrant students must register as such. It places no restrictions on legal immigrants or citizens.

Good, think of all the money Republicans will save closing the schools. They don't believe education is worth anything anyway.

Other than you, who said that?
You sure like to spout off with blanket statements claiming others think or do things that are not so.
Perhaps instead of using your own broad brush to paint with, you should look at the artwork that is already there.

Republicans don't want to educate the children of the people that pick our fruit.

If they were educated, the wouldn't want to grow up to pick fruit!

Priceless!:

"The Obama administration filed court documents Friday announcing its plans to appeal the ruling that upheld the law."

so, legal immigrants are withdrawing their students, because they fear deportation?
Really?

Ok, so?

Well, I'm not going to act all surprised as if I didn't see this coming but didn't the Obama Administration repeal this or in the acts of repealing this? It doesn't matter any more because the Supreme Court has constitutional grounds to repealing such a law; the Hispanics in Alabama will be in my prayers but then again I'll pray for all Hispanics living in the United States and in Mexico. I believe that there ought to be a balanced amendment that would provide illegal immigrants to obtain citizenship; their taxes that they owe will be in debt to them but according to their salary we'll treat them as any other citizen who makes that salary, a certain percentage is paid every year.

There is a process for them to obtain citizenship.

They go back to the country they came from. They get a sponsorship to immigrate legally, they wait five years and they take the citizenship test.

Forum List

Back